PDA

View Full Version : Few questions on an EK civic ...

steve88
04-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Hey guys, my questions are:

- I built a false floor in my EK hatch boot, 20mm thick with particle board (but sheets of timber stuck inbetween). I have a big 12" hole perfect for my subwoofer cut out, now when I put my sub in reverse no bass, i put it in to be flush with the board and it still had **** all bass; i put it back in the box i bought it with sounded wicked sick. Is a false floor pretty much a piss poor way to run a sub off?
- For extra bass, what about making a small box under teh door trip for rear speakers would that do any good?
- Would the side trims not fixed onto the chassis (due to incomplete project :p) contribute to poorer sound quality?
- How about running thicker cable to all the speakers in my car? I found some REALLY thick shit (you could mistake it for 12v garden light cable lol) at my work , is it ripping open my door trim and running the new wire through the door, and down my car interior to my amp? or is the stock honda cable fairly adequate. My speakers are pretty much like 120-150w peak pioneer 6" average quality

tengsta
04-01-2008, 05:12 PM
show a pic so pplz can see wat ur doing ;)

omgzilla
04-01-2008, 05:54 PM
It needs to be in a sealed enclosure or carefully designed ported box.

If you hold the sub (by itself) in your hand and play some music you'll notice little to no bass at all.

In order for your subwoofer to create bass/sound it needs a difference in air pressure between the face/cone of the sub and its rear.

Like this:

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/7691/airkd1.jpg

What i'm assuming (from your not so greatly laid out post) is you've just sat the sub into the false floor itself, using the floorpan/spare tyre well as the enclosure?

Does it look like this?

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/2978/basswf6.jpg

Lots of space and wouldn't be a great seal i'd assume - so it won't get a massive amount of air pressure difference; hence your poor bass level.

Some light reading for you: http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/speaker1.htm

Enjoy!

teh_mechanic
04-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Hey guys, my questions are:

- I built a false floor in my EK hatch boot, 20mm thick with particle board (but sheets of timber stuck inbetween). I have a big 12" hole perfect for my subwoofer cut out, now when I put my sub in reverse no bass, i put it in to be flush with the board and it still had **** all bass; i put it back in the box i bought it with sounded wicked sick. Is a false floor pretty much a piss poor way to run a sub off?
as was stated, a subs performance is in direct proportion to its box, possibly you could construct a sealed box that goes under the false floor to achieve the effect you are going for

- Would the side trims not fixed onto the chassis (due to incomplete project :p) contribute to poorer sound quality?
if there is a big gap between there and your false floor then that will compound your problem of no bass...your pretty much trying to use the car as a sub box,doesnt work (it can be done but not in your range or budget)

- How about running thicker cable to all the speakers in my car? I found some REALLY thick shit (you could mistake it for 12v garden light cable lol) at my work , is it ripping open my door trim and running the new wire through the door, and down my car interior to my amp? or is the stock honda cable fairly adequate. My speakers are pretty much like 120-150w peak pioneer 6" average quality
You only need to run wire thats thick enough to take the power you put through it,any larger can actually be worse at it creates more resistence/impedence for the current to travel through.Your speakers may be rated at 150w (in which case off the top of my head, around 8 guage wire would be more than enough) but you may only be running around 20 watt rms to them if they are just off a head deck,or around 60 if going from a reasonable amp....in which case you could use 10 - 12 guage.....in short,thicker wire will not unnecessarily improve sound,it will just allow you to run more power,which can sometimes lead to improved sound

omgzilla
04-01-2008, 06:23 PM
^ Good info for you there!

I would suggest using some form of sound deadening if you're going for good sound quality. Dynaudio Dynamat or Stinger Roadkill are both excellent products.

steve88
06-01-2008, 09:00 PM
haha sorry for the poor post, reps awarded.

- The wire im running i dont think is 8 guage its a bit thinner, they're all going off a amp btw not a deck.
-http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/2978/basswf6.jpg actually exactly like that, was pretty bad.

omgzilla
07-01-2008, 07:23 PM
If you're amplifying your speakers i'd run thicker wire than standard - not too much bigger but maybe a gauge or 2 bigger.

Best bet is to ask someone at an audio store. Take the specs of the items you're going to be running and ask what size/gauge wire will be best suited to your application.