PDA

View Full Version : Jdm dc2r advanced timing!!!

dslt
06-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Hey guys, i just got my mate to do an advance timing on my jdm dc2r, just enough for it to not ping. I feel as though it pulls a little better. Could someone tell me if they have done this before or am i just dreaming?

cheers guys

prego
06-01-2008, 08:50 PM
in my da9 got a new dizzy/coils and when they put it back in they didnt have timing advanced as much as it was and i felt a big difference took it back they advanced the timing and felt a big difference

IEVAQ8
06-01-2008, 10:32 PM
in my da3 integar d16a 1.6 dohc........i had the timing fully advanced and didnt ping.... at first i thought no difference... but after a while once returning timing back to stock it was a huge difference..........lol
but i havnt tried it on my dc2r ............im a bit scared to stuff it.........lol

.::F[L]Y::.
06-01-2008, 11:56 PM
i think if you run advanced timing might wanna run better fuel so it doesnt ping.

GIPONU
07-01-2008, 01:41 AM
err wats advanced timing?

G-Stick
07-01-2008, 07:45 AM
how would u know if ur car is pinging? or even advanced timing

xntrik
07-01-2008, 10:16 AM
check your engine block.
easily can tell if your car's timings been advanced if you're looking at the right part. lol

my mate got his timing advanced on his vti-R (audm spec) and said the response is better, but it idles higher, then he went on talking about tuning blah blah..

dslt
07-01-2008, 11:02 AM
how would u know if ur car is pinging? or even advanced timing

Not sure but i was told that it'll bog a lil when trying to accelerate, or it'll make some weird popping noises. My mate was telling me something about spark burning fuel better blah blah or soemthing like that. I adjusted mine 18 degrees supposibly this is safe running on 98 octane.

Car feels much much better in response/and on high rpms.

=)

Hipowerracing
07-01-2008, 11:54 AM
tell if a car is advance?

use a timing light.. the only real way.

dslt
07-01-2008, 12:00 PM
Yup and also the timing light was used =)

teh_mechanic
07-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Hey guys, i just got my mate to do an advance timing on my jdm dc2r, just enough for it to not ping. I feel as though it pulls a little better. Could someone tell me if they have done this before or am i just dreaming?

cheers guys

yes your car will perform better by advancing the timing (to a point of course).
I recommend that if you are using this car as your daily driver you use atleast 95 octane fuel to help ensure it doesnt ping and for the same reason avoid heavy loads on the engine eg. 4th going up a hill. Pre-ignition (pinging) occurs well before the human ear can hear it,by the time you can hear it,it is doing damage. Sure some will say that pinging causes damage but its over a long period of time so its not so bad,but its best to be on the safe side.

AzKik-R
07-01-2008, 07:25 PM
err wats advanced timing?

Advancing the timing is when you have the sparks firing a little earlier then what they would on a normal setup

Generally you want the spark igniting just after top dead centre, if you can visualise all 4 cylinders, you may be able to imagine the problems that may occur if you have the sparks igniting before top dead center. it puts backwards pressure on the pistons, not good for the engine.

Sometimes when you're using a lower octane, the heat of it all makes the fuel ignite before top dead centre, this is called pre-ignition, or (ping) for short. this places the abnormal strain on the pistons/rods/crank, and something has to give way, generally its a the hole in the piston that eleviates this pressure.

Other reasons to advance your timnig is that when the car is running higher rpm's sometimes you need to adjust the timing so that its firing just right, the result is sometimes at the loss of lower rpm smoothness. doing this generally upsets the low rpm idiling, making it a bit rough, but better for the higher rpms.

To all the guys that advanced their timing, and then noticed the huge loss when they undid their advancing, hmmm, might be damage from when you advanced timing, and only noticed the damage when you tried to revert back???? possibility

dynosaur
07-01-2008, 09:37 PM
And make sure you use a shorting plug on the service connector or the ECU will revert the settings back to normal.

hi claymore ,

what is mean ' use a shorting plug on the service connector ' ?

would u mind to explain abit more detail ?

EKVTIR-T
07-01-2008, 10:03 PM
He means the obd plug.
As in,if you don't have the car in diagnostic mode the timing reverts itself back.

dynosaur
08-01-2008, 05:12 PM
What he said. If you just jump in and turn the dizzy without installing the plug (and remembering to take it out after you are done) all your hard work will be for nothing as the ECU will just ignore the changes.

my mechanic told he was open the bonnet n loose the nut n turn the distributer for advanced the timing . ( But my idle is sit on 700~850 rpm )

But I didnt c he plug in anything into my ECU . does it means he do nothing ?

Now my car is run in 700~850 rpm ( cool weather ) , BUT VERY unstable in HOT weather . I was taken out the IVAC to clean but still the same :(

My mechanic told me my thermostat seems is screwed up. ( thats y the idle is rough n unstable )

BTW , where could I get that 'plug' ? ( from honda dealer ? )

(plz correct me if I was ask some noob questions)

teh_mechanic
09-01-2008, 10:10 PM
my mechanic told he was open the bonnet n loose the nut n turn the distributer for advanced the timing . ( But my idle is sit on 700~850 rpm )

But I didnt c he plug in anything into my ECU . does it means he do nothing ?

Now my car is run in 700~850 rpm ( cool weather ) , BUT VERY unstable in HOT weather . I was taken out the IVAC to clean but still the same :(

My mechanic told me my thermostat seems is screwed up. ( thats y the idle is rough n unstable )

BTW , where could I get that 'plug' ? ( from honda dealer ? )

(plz correct me if I was ask some noob questions)

it depends on what model car you have. If your cars timing is run by the ecu (generally most electronic fuel injected cars) you will have this diagnostic plug that needs to be bridged out when adjusting the timing,or else the ecu will just go back to what it wants it to be.

However if your cars timing is not run by the ecu,your mechanics timing adjusting procedure is correct.

With the thermostat i assume he means your thermostat is stuck closed,reducing your cooling systems efficiency.does your temp gauge read higher in hot weather when you say your car is unstable.could also be things like blocked radiator etc. but thermostat would be a good place to start.

dynosaur
11-01-2008, 12:03 PM
it depends on what model car you have. If your cars timing is run by the ecu (generally most electronic fuel injected cars) you will have this diagnostic plug that needs to be bridged out when adjusting the timing,or else the ecu will just go back to what it wants it to be.

However if your cars timing is not run by the ecu,your mechanics timing adjusting procedure is correct.

With the thermostat i assume he means your thermostat is stuck closed,reducing your cooling systems efficiency.does your temp gauge read higher in hot weather when you say your car is unstable.could also be things like blocked radiator etc. but thermostat would be a good place to start.

my car is jdm itr (DC2R).

is it the diagnostic plug is 1 of the 3 plugs which connect to the ECU ?

if not , where could I get the diagnostic plug ?

my radiator was changed in 1 year ago ( so I believe it still good condition coz I seldom speeding n drive 60~80 km/h legal speed 90% all the time )

dynosaur
11-01-2008, 12:07 PM
so can any1 tell me what is the actual correct STEPS on how to advance the timing ?

( coz i have got a little confused due to so many friendly OH experts were explain in here ) :p

thanks

chargeR
11-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Advancing the timing is when you have the sparks firing a little earlier then what they would on a normal setup

Generally you want the spark igniting just after top dead centre, if you can visualise all 4 cylinders, you may be able to imagine the problems that may occur if you have the sparks igniting before top dead center. it puts backwards pressure on the pistons, not good for the engine.

Sometimes when you're using a lower octane, the heat of it all makes the fuel ignite before top dead centre, this is called pre-ignition, or (ping) for short. this places the abnormal strain on the pistons/rods/crank, and something has to give way, generally its a the hole in the piston that eleviates this pressure.

Other reasons to advance your timnig is that when the car is running higher rpm's sometimes you need to adjust the timing so that its firing just right, the result is sometimes at the loss of lower rpm smoothness. doing this generally upsets the low rpm idiling, making it a bit rough, but better for the higher rpms.

To all the guys that advanced their timing, and then noticed the huge loss when they undid their advancing, hmmm, might be damage from when you advanced timing, and only noticed the damage when you tried to revert back???? possibility

Your second paragraph is incorrect sorry :). Ignition is almost always before top dead centre. If your spark ignited the fuel/air mix after top dead centre the result would be a very slow car indeed. The spark occurs before top dead centre to account for the finite time it takes for the mixture to burn across the combustion chamber.

Tako
14-01-2008, 01:56 AM
is advanced timing same thing as having individual ignition system?

DLO01
14-01-2008, 05:16 PM
Omg. There is so much incorrect information in this thread. :thumbdwn:

If you don't know what your doing, don't mess with it.

dslt
14-01-2008, 07:30 PM
I agree
But if you know how to.. Its worth it =)

Blulude98
14-01-2008, 08:25 PM

I know!! Guys stop phuking arround with sh*t you dont know and will never really understand! JUST DONT TOUCH ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!