PDA

View Full Version : help with plumb back bov

IEVAQ8
06-01-2008, 11:49 PM
hey guys..........like i have stated in title.........
i need help in choosing a plumb back bov........
i dont like bov or their noise at all....but to save the life of my turbo i will run one (plumb back)

i have searched and really like the turbosmart sleeper series (plumb back)
but im not sure as to what outlet size i should be looking for???????
they offer a 25, 29, 32, 34, & 38mm anyone had any experience or recommendation.

i want the plumb back as i dont want any extra noises from my boosted dc2r.

thanks

i.e. i know there has been big debates on not running bov's at all...........i'm not interested in anyone sugesting that, so please dont spam this thread......i really need help..............

EGB18CT
07-01-2008, 07:15 AM
i'd go the 38mm sleeper one... more air out, shouldnt be loud, id go this one if you are going to up the boost and build the motor later on, ask james he should know whats good too. I think the greddy type rs you can have as a plumb back bov and atmo vent (gotta remove the fittings) too and they sound nice not plummed back if you ever dont want to plumb back after epa testing etc, if the need be.

1996ek1
07-01-2008, 08:09 PM
hmm i heard alot of ppl hav problems with the greddy type rs.
The bov doesnt release enough, and people still get flutters, and seeing he wanted to save the life of the turbo, i wouldnt suggest it.

over at honda-tech.com theres alot about it

IEVAQ8
07-01-2008, 10:15 PM
thanks guys.
egb18ct.....i have spoken to james, since he will be tuning my setup.....and he recommends any where from stage 2 turbosmart on wards or even better a tial bov..........only prob with tial is that it makes noise.........i hate noisy bov and i dont want flutter...for the basic i wanna save my turbo's life...lol
1996ek1.....ur on the right track with my idea of keep it quite and away from attention and saving my turbo...
i think i will go with turbosmart 32mm outlet sleeper series.......
it is a plumb back one so it will be what im looking for............
plus if james' killer setup used a turbosmart bov...why wouldnt it be good enough for my setup..................

thanks again guys

1996ek1
08-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Yea, good choice, im turboing also atm and im going to go with a turbosmart. Not exactly sure which one yet though..

DLO01
08-01-2008, 09:33 PM
if your going a decent setup I would use the Tial 50mm Bov. Its an atmosphere one, but will always out flow a plumbback. These are not noisy by design. They are made to get the air out, simple.

Turbosmart also make a copy of the Tial 50mm.

Also the Synapse Bov has had some good reviews.
http://www.synapseengineering.com/

:thumbsup:

EGB18CT
08-01-2008, 09:41 PM
if your going a decent setup I would use the Tial 50mm Bov. Its an atmosphere one, but will always out flow a plumbback. These are not noisy by design. They are made to get the air out, simple.

Turbosmart also make a copy of the Tial 50mm.

Also the Synapse Bov has had some good reviews.
http://www.synapseengineering.com/

:thumbsup:

thats sex! any idea how much they cost mite add one to my project too!

DLO01
08-01-2008, 10:12 PM
The Synapse bov can be run Atmosphere or Plumback.

They are around $190 usd.

So you could probably get it shipped to your door in Oz for under $300 aud.

IEVAQ8
08-01-2008, 10:20 PM
thanks for the response dean........but it still makes noises doesn't it???
im not running anything extreme....atm its only a modified AVO kit with Hondata S300

DLO01
08-01-2008, 10:32 PM
Oh, ok, I just thought you were putting your killer stetup together. The Tial one is still fine. But yeh, the Turbosmart would be fine too for your setup. Just get the big plumback or that Synapse one.

Yeh, you can hear the Tial one of course, its just a "Chssshhhhhh", just air venting, none of this trumpet tunned and high pich sounds etc.

IEVAQ8
08-01-2008, 10:37 PM
yeh.........the killer setup is on hold....untill james finishes his one..and then i will go all out..............
but i got the avo kit really cheap brand new as i know the guy at avo...so i thought y not bolt it together aqnd have some fun before i wait another year or so for james to finish his and then use his setup...........

anyways..............thanks agian for ur help..and i think i will be getting the sleeper plumb back turbosmart one at 32mm outlet...........its suitable for my range atm

aimre
09-01-2008, 12:42 AM
Check calais turbo. They have been dosing (flutter u hear) for years WITHOUT blowing turbos.

BOV Doesnt save ur turbo.

But as u also want it quiet. Try turbosmart or GFB. Atleast they are aussie and warranty is no problems, and your helping OUR country

EGB18CT
09-01-2008, 11:01 AM
yeh go the turbosmart, later in ur big build if its not enough just use 2!

DLO01
09-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Yeh, you shoulda bought a Holden not a Honda. jokes jokes. :p

IEVAQ8
10-01-2008, 05:16 PM
thats not nice deano.............

my later set up will be whateva crazy parts i can think of.........as it will run twin external waste gates i dont think i will be worring about any blow off noises........but atm i want it nice and neat and quite.,....
again thanks for ur help guys..
turbo smart sleeper series plumb back 32mm outlet is what i have ordered............

Aza
14-01-2008, 08:06 AM
just another surgestion... stock evo bov. they are quiet and i dont get any fluttering. they would defantly suit what ur after if u can track one down

IEVAQ8
14-01-2008, 09:04 PM
thanks aza........but i have already ordered my sleeper series turbosmart plumb back bov

Limbo
30-01-2008, 12:28 PM
i got a big turbosmart the supersonic one, its louder than i thought even though its plumbed back, how's yours going?

IEVAQ8
30-01-2008, 09:24 PM
i havnt yet installed, but mine is a plumb back only, so it wont have any noise, as it cannot be an atmospheric one as well

DLO01
30-01-2008, 10:14 PM
The turbosmart supersonic is a 'trumpet' atmosphere one. How do you plumb it back? You probably have the plumback one Limbo.

Also IEVAQ8, you can still here blow off sound if you plumb it back. It really depends on where its plumbed in and how long/size/bends your intake is. Thats what Limbo is stating.

IEVAQ8
30-01-2008, 10:34 PM
thats true deano............
will just have to wqait and see how it sounds, i will try and record it once its all tuned and running...............
as i just completed my track day on sunday, the car will be getting new clutch installed on sat or sun this week, and then off with the turbo........
i might start a thread of the build

1996ek1
30-01-2008, 10:59 PM
Please do a thread...
:D

IEVAQ8
30-01-2008, 11:06 PM
okay u have convinced me.................
i'll start it up 2morrow,
i'll gather some pics from when it was the way i bought it, to now..and beyond

Limbo
31-01-2008, 08:27 AM
i just brought a plumb back kit from Turbosmart. It changes the spring and trumpet to plumb back

1996ek1
31-01-2008, 08:38 AM
okay u have convinced me.................
i'll start it up 2morrow,
i'll gather some pics from when it was the way i bought it, to now..and beyond

Ty.
I love build threads.

Might even make my own one soon :rolleyes:

Killa From Manila
02-02-2008, 11:19 PM
if u have an airbox rather than an exposed filter, wont that make plumbed back systems quieter too?

IEVAQ8
03-02-2008, 07:57 AM
how can u run an air box oin a non standard turbo car??????????
unles u customise one?????????

DLO01
03-02-2008, 08:33 AM
You just enclose the filter in a box or use the stock box and cold air feed. And yes it will make the plumb back quieter.

Killa From Manila
04-02-2008, 08:18 PM
how can u run an air box oin a non standard turbo car??????????
unles u customise one?????????

obviously...