PDA

View Full Version : buying a wedge shaped crx

Dr4g0n
20-08-2004, 01:42 AM
i think they're the 3rd gens...about the 88-91 model range...

anywayz, my gf's looking to buy one and just wanting to know some things...
-reasonable price range?
-particular things that can go wrong on that model crx (body, mechanical, interior)?
-wishlist (4 wheel disc brakes, which motor, etc)?

thanks guys

Anthony38
20-08-2004, 02:03 AM
From my memory 88-91 crx are the 2nd generation and 92 onwards are 3rd

I use to own a 3rd generation crx about 5 months ago. I only had it over a year. Its a really fun car! :D the onlu reason I got rid was that only seated two which was very annoying sometimes.
price ranges now should be between 13,500 to 18,000. Its a pretty old car now

bumography
20-08-2004, 04:27 AM
things to look out for?
Rust..
if its an import or locally delivered
engine service history is good

insurance will be expensive as well as parts!

Setanta
20-08-2004, 07:25 AM
2n'd Gen CRX.

Rust is the same with most cars - but their 4th gen Civic counterpart seems pretty free of it - but check anyway.

4W disks is standard, the aussie spec only came with the DOHC non-VTEC D16, if you are lucky you might find an import SiR with a B16 VTEC - but look out fr the fact that very few in this categorie will have proper compliancing. JDM spec will seat 4 (sort of). Aussie spec engines might be getting tired, the few SiRs I've seen have 170,000 on them and if my Civic SiR is anything to go on, they have at least another 100,000kms+ to go on with. Chassis squeaks might be an issue (as with most older hatches).

mojo the flashy monkey
20-08-2004, 10:54 PM
dont they only ahve 2 dics @ frunt and dums @ back?

88crx
21-08-2004, 08:46 AM
Nope there disc's on all 4's as Setanta said,

AUDM - d16a8 - 1.6L DOHC non-vtec
JDM - ZC - same as ^^^^^
JDM (ef8 SIR) - B16a1 - vtec baby :D

Yeah you should just be looking over the body for rust mainly,

depending on if your looking for a stocker you can pick them up
for 5-8k depending on year and condition.

there are only little difference's between yr models as
- 88-89 have different rear lights to 90-91
- some 90-91 have sir front lights on them (not many mainly import)
- from mine 88 has 21 spline gearbox, 89+ has 20 spline
there is more but cant think atm, check out www.crxaustralia.com (http://www.crxaustralia.com)
forums and ask some of the guys there they should be able to heap you
find a good one as there is always a couple for sale.

hope you find a good one man. :D

mr crex
21-08-2004, 11:33 AM
the only CRX with rear drum brakes is the 1,5L Carby models (which are rare JDM imports) where as yes the others are full disc brake

your going to wanna make sure if you do look at an import it is correctly complied and registered, ask to see compliance papers or registration slips

main rust spots I have noticed on AUSD are;

Around Door & Window Seals
Sunroof
Inside Wheel Arches
and where you refuel your car water can get stuck and cause rust (I know from personal experience)

As for JDM Imports that I have noticed;

All of the above and also on guards and under car chassis

if its an import inspect the bottom of the car and wheel arches thouroghly as in Japan they use salt to get rid of the snow, and the salt can really eat into the metal and rust the car out quite badly.

a friend right now is having the problem of getting rid of all the rust in his import crx, and there is rust EVERYWHERE :(

oh also... if the car has a good service history its very reassuring, a prime example was my 91 Si which I bought back in 99, although it had 240,000+ KM at the time the service history was impecible and I never had any problems (beside your usual wear and tear) with the engine and it lasted upto 330,000km before I did engine swap.

good luck finding a crx, remember its always best to get an inspection of a vehicle you are looking at purchasing.

make sure to check out www.crxaustralia.com - Australias ONLY CRX website & forum :)

SIKCVC
21-08-2004, 05:30 PM
you are lucky you might find an import SiR with a B16 VTEC - but look out fr the fact that very few in this categorie will have proper compliancing.

Well not any more since they are eligable under sevs... landed looking at around $8K vinh... the SiR would be the best option. More parts better engine more features. Much the same price... remember the SiR's came out with sun roofs etc too so you can get her a really decent one man!!! They often sell on prestige, so I'd maybe give them a call or something to that effect.

Dr4g0n
23-08-2004, 02:56 AM
thanks for all the help guys...

SIR is not so important as it'll be my gf's car and i don't particularly want her having that kind of power anywayz....she's still on her p'z and i don't trust her with a quick car... :p

Setanta
23-08-2004, 07:51 AM
Well not any more since they are eligable under sevs... landed looking at around $8K vinh... the SiR would be the best option. More parts better engine more features. Much the same price... remember the SiR's came out with sun roofs etc too so you can get her a really decent one man!!! They often sell on prestige, so I'd maybe give them a call or something to that effect.

No CRX is listed under SEVs, let alone the EF8. In fact, the only 2 cars on the SEVs website (updated early this month) are the Beat and EP3 CTR. To get a SiR you need an '89 to get it in under the 15 year import rule.

Not all SiRs came out with sunroofs. They had 3 options; no sunroof, no sunroof but a full glasstop; slide-back sunroof. In fact all 3 were an option on every JDM CRX right down to the lowest spec.

SIKCVC
23-08-2004, 03:44 PM
YeY Ep3!!!! nah I ment 15 year rule... my bad.

glass top ay... sounds kool! is that like a taga style glass top?

Setanta
23-08-2004, 06:23 PM
Glass top means the entire roof is glass :D From the sunvisors back to the glass slope of the hatch is made... of... glass :D:D:D

Setanta
23-08-2004, 06:27 PM
Ok... pic here of a JDM Si Glasstop

http://www.crxtech.com/crxforum/uploads/post-3-1066317436.jpg

Setanta
23-08-2004, 06:31 PM
Inside shot:

http://www.dx-r.net/rhdglasstop.jpg

Mr. Focus
23-08-2004, 08:10 PM
also be aware of peeps trying to rip you off by telling you its v-tec when it aint! this happened to a young lady i know. she also has the glass roof and rear seats