PDA

View Full Version : Cluster doesnt work after engine swap

shinn
07-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Hi, guys i just finish my b16a engine swap in my eg. everything work fine, it just the cluster rpm, speed metter and all the other hands doent move but the backlight and other light on the cluster works. I have try my friend cluster but still having same problem, den i try hooking up an apexi neo, the apexi rpm work fine but the cluster still having the same problem. I have check wire, and all the fuse.. still no help. Im clueless

Anyone have any ideas what wrong?

i post up some picture soon

zco
07-01-2008, 06:24 PM
hmm usually the sensor on your gearbox you could check.but regardless of that, the tachometer should still work..worth a try..

ECU-MAN
07-01-2008, 09:42 PM
are you able to rey your cluster in your freinds car, sounds like your cluster isnt wired right for the tacho input.

teh_mechanic
07-01-2008, 10:02 PM
i know it sounds silly,but you know there are two connectors going into the cluster...one at each end.

it sounds stupid but when i did my swap i had 1 plugged in and the tacho and speedo didnt work,only took me a minute to work out the other plug wasnt in.....but anyway,make sure they are both in

shinn
07-01-2008, 10:29 PM
Yeah, i try putting my cluster in my friend car n it work, nuthing rong with the cluster, but the thing is my AFC is reading my RPM fine so i think the sensor on the gearbox is working or i could be wrong LOL.

thanks for the reply guyz

teh_mechanic
07-01-2008, 10:42 PM
so...
your cluster works in friends car -which should show that your cluster is ok
friends cluster works in your car - which should show that your car/conversion/wiring is ok
AFC reads rpm,-again showing that car is ok,assuming it gets its signal from the same place as the cluster (im not sure)

tricky

shinn
07-01-2008, 11:13 PM
yer it suk 2 be me. LOL
but the swap went wel :thumbsup: (besude the cluster doesnt work)

1996ek1
08-01-2008, 12:13 AM
so...
your cluster works in friends car -which should show that your cluster is ok
friends cluster works in your car - which should show that your car/conversion/wiring is ok
AFC reads rpm,-again showing that car is ok,assuming it gets its signal from the same place as the cluster (im not sure)

tricky

I think he said his friends cluster wouldnt work in his car...

teh_mechanic
08-01-2008, 05:08 PM
oh ok,well then its pretty safe to say the ploblem is in your cluster.go get a pretty eg6 one.

A.G.System
08-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Ok the problem isnt his cluster its his dodgey wiring job. Go to an Auto Sparky and get them to trace the wires that you connected in the loom.

What i will say you will find is that the Aftermarket tach works because you are plugging into a point that is NOT the looms plug.

If you cant find the actual broken wire you can run a tap wire from the coil to the dash directly and bypass the loom all togther.

But im pretty sure you have cut an incorrect wire somewhere.

tRipitaka
08-01-2008, 05:40 PM
oh ok,well then its pretty safe to say the ploblem is in your cluster.go get a pretty eg6 one.

his cluster works in his friends car, his friends cluster works in his friends car too.
neither of them work in his car.

it's a wiring problem in his car.

teh_mechanic
09-01-2008, 10:04 PM
solved.get a test light and start searching

shinn
11-01-2008, 10:53 PM
try rewired my whole car.
:D
it work now. thankz everyone for your reply. Will post picz soon

:thumbsup: