PDA

View Full Version : Car turns off while driving

kyobibi
07-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Hey guys,

Since the other day, my car developed a wierd problem.
While driving the engine will randomly turn off..

It happened twice the first drive that it started,
didnt happen the second time
but happened again today..

Initially figured that it was the battery but my VAFC shows a steady 13.8-14.1v while driving..

Taking the key out and restarting the car gets the car started first time like normal.

Any ideas?

AzKik-R
07-01-2008, 07:26 PM
does anything else cut out? ie, the headlights go dim? or the stereo requires you to enter the security code???

kyobibi
07-01-2008, 07:50 PM
does anything else cut out? ie, the headlights go dim? or the stereo requires you to enter the security code???

nope.. everything still works and is still on like normal

omgzilla
07-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Can you think about exactly what you were doing when it happened?

Accelerating / Backing off / Turning / Idling etc

bennjamin
07-01-2008, 07:52 PM
fuel or spark is getting disconnected ~ checked ur fuses ? What alarm you got ?

destrukshn
07-01-2008, 07:57 PM
hms, could be main relay, but then it would struggle to start.
so i would say ignition switch.
got heavy keys? that hang off the ignition barrel while driving?

m3ntAL_l2
07-01-2008, 08:17 PM
samthing happened to me in a astra... i just thought ive bumped the key :/

IZY-10
07-01-2008, 08:48 PM
i can tell you right now it is your ignition switch. I had the exact same problem with my car it would all the sudden turn off. It also happen to my sisters accord with the exact same fault. I would sometimes find it hard to start aswell. take notice at your dash the oil light ect will not light up. It is a common problem with hondas

kyobibi
07-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Can you think about exactly what you were doing when it happened?

Accelerating / Backing off / Turning / Idling etc

All sorts:
1st: taking off at lights (thought i had accidentally stalled the car)
2nd: downshifting to stop
3rd: just cruising at 60km/h

hms, could be main relay, but then it would struggle to start.
so i would say ignition switch.
got heavy keys? that hang off the ignition barrel while driving?

Yeah, it doesnt struggle to start at all
No heavy keys or things that hang off the same key chain..
Even tried jiggling it to try and get the car to turn off but nothing happened.

i can tell you right now it is your ignition switch. I had the exact same problem with my car it would all the sudden turn off. It also happen to my sisters accord with the exact same fault. I would sometimes find it hard to start aswell. take notice at your dash the oil light ect will not light up. It is a common problem with hondas

Is the ignition switch expensive to fix?
Is it a mechanic job or an auto electrician job?

kyobibi
07-01-2008, 09:06 PM
fuel or spark is getting disconnected ~ checked ur fuses ? What alarm you got ?

I'll check the fuses :thumbsup:
It's a rhino alarm but will be changed to a different alarm in the very near future

Thanks so much to all your replies so far!
Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this very annoying (not to mention dangerous) problem :S

IZY-10
07-01-2008, 09:22 PM
no its not $100-$200 it takes about 10min to replace. A mechanic can most likely do it or even DIY

destrukshn
07-01-2008, 09:26 PM
no its not $100-$200 it takes about 10min to replace. A mechanic can most likely do it or even DIY
10mins, if you don't have a alarm system connected to it.
is a maybe.

philBo
07-01-2008, 09:33 PM
happened to me once, it was alarm playing up due. immobiliser activated or something.

IZY-10
07-01-2008, 10:01 PM
10mins, if you don't have a alarm system connected to it.
is a maybe.
When i done mine it took me 40min with an alarm with the works auto start and all. But then again i know what i am doing when it comes to electronics. Otherwise its basically just plug and play

Spicey
07-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Cam angle sensor, Crank angle sensor!? Have you flashed your codes or got someone with a Honda Scantool to check your codes???

This may help: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8218

kyobibi
07-01-2008, 10:28 PM
When i done mine it took me 40min with an alarm with the works auto start and all. But then again i know what i am doing when it comes to electronics. Otherwise its basically just plug and play

Awesome, I'll have a look into replacing my ignition switch :thumbsup:

Samo
07-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Awesome, I'll have a look into replacing my ignition switch :thumbsup:

might not need to replace ...

try to pull it apart and clean it with wd40 and wet & dry sandpaper .. all the contact surfaces and stuff and put it back

i did mine 2 months ago and no probs now ... b4 dat it was so bad it wont stay on .. it will jus switch off str8 after i turn the keys

takes abt 20 mins max

sretocz
08-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Ive had the same problem, however mine was the alarm/immobilizer playing up.

Bayani
09-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Verify that your battery is secure; including the terminal clamps. Really give it some moving, side to side and up and down to ensure contact.

James The Wog
10-01-2008, 07:33 PM
i always turn my car off while driving on purpose, i got no steering lock lol shhh dont tell the cops hahahah, it scare the shit out of people.

i keep my glove box locked and its the ignition key that opens its, 1 day i was driving with a mate and i wanted a cd out of glove box , ahhh funniest thing eva i was crying with laughter

omgzilla
10-01-2008, 08:01 PM
i always turn my car off while driving on purpose...

...it scare the shit out of people.r

Not the brightest of things to do. You'll soon realise that your brakes stop having much effect after a few pushes of the pedal when the car is turned off. Not very ideal if you need to stop in a hurry!

Your power steering also stops giving assistance aswell, but then again you know that already seeing as you do it 'all the time'...

James The Wog
10-01-2008, 08:35 PM
seeing as you do it 'all the time'...

i can recall four times, so idno where you pulled 'all the time'

im not a complete idiot by the way, i know the steets arnt the place to be doing stupid stuff in your car ie raceing, handbrakies, i learnt my lesson the hard way by rolling my car onto its roof. WHEN i do stupid shit i try to make shore that there is nothing that can cause adamage to any one or any thing.
if i do that little stund i never do it on a curved road or any thing like that, believe me i think before i do shit 90% of the times

i know its not the smartest thing to do, by hey wtf

omgzilla
10-01-2008, 08:50 PM
idno where you pulled 'all the time'

Here:

i always turn my car off while driving on purpose

Close enough!

Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Carry on -> on topic.

James The Wog
10-01-2008, 09:04 PM
i always turn my car off

i just wanted to sound cool lol

IZY-10
11-01-2008, 11:20 AM
i just wanted to sound cool lol

that is not cool that is stupid. Putting other peoples life's on risk

Bayani
12-01-2008, 01:53 AM
Did You Check Your Battery Terminals Yet?

:d

kyobibi
12-01-2008, 06:14 PM
Thanks soooo much for the replies!

Found out that it was a faulty relay in my alarm system, which immobilises the car.
While moving the alarm wires around, I could hear the relay switching.

New alarm in and its working awesome!
All suggestions have been repped :)

[BLISTK]
09-04-2008, 10:39 PM
im having this same problem with my 89 crx at the moment but im 99% sure its the ignition barrel coz some times i cant get accesories to turn on and other times its ignition(reds) that wont work, how do i go about fixing it? is it just dirty, cracked solder joints, relay? i know a few of you said you fixed yours but what did you actually do?

thanks
adam

ricki_kalsi
09-04-2008, 10:47 PM
O2 Sensor??

dc2dc2dc2
09-04-2008, 10:51 PM
lol people replying now for reps?
guy has solved his problem if u even bothered reading his post.
lol

ricki_kalsi
09-04-2008, 10:56 PM
I read it... and that'a so weird that an alarm can have that effect.. quite amazing actually.

I just threw it out that a faulty O2 sensor can have this affect too. As it happened to me :) - so just sharing

EKVTIR-T
09-04-2008, 10:59 PM
its ok we believe you man...

[BLISTK]
09-04-2008, 11:01 PM
and i actually asked a question for some help coz im having this problem so im looking for more info on ignition barrel repair/ replacement