PDA

View Full Version : Civic FD Speedo, Cluster & Cd player LEDs

Mingy
07-01-2008, 07:11 PM
Okay i'm quite sure most of you have thought of changing the colour of the speedo, cluster and cd player LEDs. I'm sure at somepoint you got totally sick of the blue. anyways Stock ones are blue, and Type-R are red. been searching here and there but no conversions available yet. Has any FD owner successfully done a conversion from Blue to Red?

Shimian
07-01-2008, 07:17 PM
it is possible to change to red. I dont have instructions but people overseas has done it. Apparently red is no good for your eyes after viewing it for a while

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL518/3342190/8467312/250687832.jpg

Mingy
07-01-2008, 07:27 PM
interesting....hey is that your car shimian with the conversion done?? coz your profile has FD2.

[ricer]
07-01-2008, 07:37 PM
blue is nicer then red anyway

Shimian
07-01-2008, 07:46 PM
interesting....hey is that your car shimian with the conversion done?? coz your profile has FD2.

FD2 is the sports model. Thats not my car. I like the blue better too

JaCe
07-01-2008, 08:10 PM
There are some on the Singapore forums I think but as others have pointed out, blue is much easier on the eyes. Looks better IMO too. If you wanted red, you'd have to make sure it's a deep colour and not too bright.

Mingy
07-01-2008, 11:50 PM
There are some on the Singapore forums I think but as others have pointed out, blue is much easier on the eyes. Looks better IMO too. If you wanted red, you'd have to make sure it's a deep colour and not too bright.

are you referring to www.shc-forum.com?

JaCe
08-01-2008, 04:53 PM
Nah there are some FD exclusive forums such as www.civicfd-sg.com and www.sgcivic.com. Then there are also the American 8th gen Civic forums (google it- forgot the URL).

Bear in mind these are purely for inspirational purposes because some of the parts aren't available here, prices are likely to differ, and for Singapore/M'sia for example, the people there are much more gutsy when it comes to modifications!

cracker
09-01-2008, 10:44 AM
hmmm imo.... blue=green>red

markCivicVti
09-01-2008, 11:23 AM
^ would be cool to install different LEDs so that you can flick a switch or two and go between blue/red/gree/yellow/white ....

EDIT: LOL... except u couldn't read your speedo if its white... so scratch that.

Shimian
09-01-2008, 07:18 PM
they designed the colours quite well. Blue for speedo. Green to see gears (auto). So a big pat on R&D IMO. Only thing i hate is that you cannot control the brightness of the stock HU display. But eventually im gonna install my own HU.

denot
10-01-2008, 08:25 AM
they designed the colours quite well. Blue for speedo. Green to see gears (auto). So a big pat on R&D IMO. Only thing i hate is that you cannot control the brightness of the stock HU display. But eventually im gonna install my own HU.

I wish they colour coded all the lights (e.g. blue on the speedos n HU, light blue on gears (auto)?) :p

wilkie
10-01-2008, 09:51 AM
I wish they colour coded all the lights (e.g. blue on the speedos n HU, light blue on gears (auto)?) :p

hehe well they did colour code them, as shimian pointed out...just not in all blue hues :) ino u don't need to look at the stick for manual, but having the gears on it glow wouldn't look too bad at night!

denot
10-01-2008, 12:34 PM
hehe well they did colour code them, as shimian pointed out...just not in all blue hues :) ino u don't need to look at the stick for manual, but having the gears on it glow wouldn't look too bad at night!

Or theres light blue light comes from the numbers on the AUTO gear as well (not only on the dashboard) ^_^ (yeah, ima blue freak!!!)

markCivicVti
10-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Get the accent lighting aftermarket then! I got the honda fitted one and its ok. But not the brightest around...

JaCe
11-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Get the accent lighting aftermarket then! I got the honda fitted one and its ok. But not the brightest around...

It's good because it's subtle and nowhere near blinding- but that being said, at the price (assuming you don't get it thrown in free) it's a bit pricey for not very bright light. I like the quality of the switches/fitting though.

Shimian
11-01-2008, 09:47 PM
It's good because it's subtle and nowhere near blinding- but that being said, at the price (assuming you don't get it thrown in free) it's a bit pricey for not very bright light. I like the quality of the switches/fitting though.

u can always remove the oem bulb and replace with neons or leds to make it brighter.

Mingy
12-01-2008, 03:54 PM

Yeah i got the after market accents lightings. its way cheaper than honda OEMs. just went to supercheapauto and got them for $25 each, comes with adhesives to stick them under your footwell. looks hectik @ night. i believe the results are the same. i got the '300 neon glow stick'. 250 ones are not bright enough.

chylld
13-01-2008, 04:56 PM
talking about the colour of the speedo... i left my car in the sun for 2 hours today and the SPEEDO COLOUR CHANGED!!! it changed from the usual deep blue to a murky light purple. wish i took a photo of it at the time but i was too worried about having to put it in for yet another warranty service.

after moving the car under shade for an hour, it gradually went back to blue.

this is the 32nd warranty issue i've had with this car. are we not supposed to park these outside??

denot
13-01-2008, 08:22 PM
talking about the colour of the speedo... i left my car in the sun for 2 hours today and the SPEEDO COLOUR CHANGED!!! it changed from the usual deep blue to a murky light purple. wish i took a photo of it at the time but i was too worried about having to put it in for yet another warranty service.

after moving the car under shade for an hour, it gradually went back to blue.

this is the 32nd warranty issue i've had with this car. are we not supposed to park these outside??

u sure its not just because of the sun glare? It happens to mine, but when it only my eyes playing on me, not the car (when I park under the sun for 2-3 hrs and then it "looks" like the colour change, but when I cover them with my hand it all look normal.

chylld
13-01-2008, 08:48 PM
u sure its not just because of the sun glare? It happens to mine, but when it only my eyes playing on me, not the car (when I park under the sun for 2-3 hrs and then it "looks" like the colour change, but when I cover them with my hand it all look normal.

that's what i thought at first... then i went undercover and the speedo was still a pale purple (the blue bits of the temp gauge and fuel gauge were still blue, as was the tacho)

i'll definitely take a picture of it next time it happens... it's fully weird.

faction
14-01-2008, 06:08 AM
Yeah, mine has changed color too. The one day I couldn't park it in my garage happened to be a 42 degree day and it changed from the dark purple to pink. It has slowly faded back (days later) to a now 'pale purple' like chylld's.

chylld
14-01-2008, 06:16 AM
Yeah, mine has changed color too. The one day I couldn't park it in my garage happened to be a 42 degree day and it changed from the dark purple to pink. It has slowly faded back (days later) to a now 'pale purple' like chylld's.

perhaps this is a design feature of our cars? kinda like those hypercolour t-shirts :)

if it isn't a design feature, then i'm worried it might actually be causing damage to the speedo light, worst case being that it stops working altogether!

surely there's a safety issue if that happens...

Mingy
14-01-2008, 11:28 AM
perhaps this is a design feature of our cars? kinda like those hypercolour t-shirts :)

if it isn't a design feature, then i'm worried it might actually be causing damage to the speedo light, worst case being that it stops working altogether!

surely there's a safety issue if that happens...

that just shows our cars are fkn soldiers man! Honda 4 life

chylld
14-01-2008, 11:30 AM
that just shows our cars are fkn soldiers man! Honda 4 life

sensational

denot
14-01-2008, 12:26 PM
sensational

hahahha btw chylld, why are u still complaining about Honda??? Hows the Hyundai btw? :p

chylld
14-01-2008, 12:37 PM
hahahha btw chylld, why are u still complaining about Honda??? Hows the Hyundai btw? :p

new i30 gets delivered early feb, so have to hold on to the civic until then :)