PDA

View Full Version : Adding more offset to wheels?

spetz
07-01-2008, 09:37 PM
hey guys
Got a friend and he is trying to engineer his car, but the wheel offset is too low (ie, they sit too far in the car)
Realising that spacers are also illegal, I am wondering what can be done to widen the offset?

Thanks

m0nty ITR
07-01-2008, 09:42 PM
They sit too far inside? I didn't realize that was illegal. Anyone who has taken a look at a VT Commodore would think the same.

iced
07-01-2008, 09:47 PM
too positive offset and too close to suspension component or brake component would be no good.
otherwise just buy him a case of beer and be done with it.

Sir_vtec
07-01-2008, 10:01 PM
hey guys
Got a friend and he is trying to engineer his car, but the wheel offset is too low (ie, they sit too far in the car)
Realising that spacers are also illegal, I am wondering what can be done to widen the offset?

Thanks

too low offset means they stick out of the guards. :confused:

or do u mean high offset which sits inside the guards more. i dont understand why this would be a prob. whats the car? and whats the offset of these wheels?

shed some more info and maybe some1 can help. :thumbsup:

SiReal
07-01-2008, 10:46 PM
well u can shave mm's off the alloy hub face but thats not a safe practice as it may (read: may) weaken the structural integrity of the rim.

otherwise, get some new rims.

spetz
07-01-2008, 11:31 PM
It's for an FTO
The wheels are 5Zigen Fireballs (hot rims!)
And they sit too far in the guard. They need to sit further out
Seems that it is illegal as he's having trouble with it

Any help would be appreciated

kyobibi
07-01-2008, 11:34 PM
I suppose if spacers are out of the question, then changing the rims is your only other option?

spetz
08-01-2008, 12:28 AM
hmmm
Would be nice without changing rims

dudeling7
08-01-2008, 01:37 AM
dont really see any other options other than new rims with lower offset to move them away from the centre or spacers

nd55
08-01-2008, 09:33 AM
> They sit too far inside? I didn't realize that was illegal.

Vehicle track can't change by more than 12mm.

Nick.

aaronng
08-01-2008, 09:37 AM
He will have to get rims of the proper offset.

krogoth
08-01-2008, 12:08 PM
wat offset is the wheel?

and yes i agree with aaron, dont bs around

sell the current wheels and get new ones

Sir_vtec
08-01-2008, 07:53 PM
has he got stock wheels?

can u slap the stock on then go get it engineered then put the 5zigens that he wants back on after.

spetz
09-01-2008, 12:01 AM
Don't know the offset
And he bought the car like that so no stock wheels :(

krogoth
09-01-2008, 01:19 AM
post a pic for us

and some dimensions

find out the offset, and the wheel size and thickness, and the tyre size

just out of interest

xtina
09-01-2008, 07:42 AM
if he did put spaces on how would the cops find out. i was going to put spaces on my nissan exa, they were easy to find and buy though at tyre shops. i know heaps of people that have spaces to help with the offset. alot on the nissans though

iced
09-01-2008, 08:55 AM
offset should be stamped on the rim
for them to be of an issues they would have to be more positive than ET45
eg ET45 means +45

quang
17-01-2008, 06:56 PM
jeez he must have really have the wrong rims, especially if they are any deeper than most of the fto's i've seen.
all of the fto's ive seen have always had their wheel heaps inside the guard, stock or chromies or whatever. i think i've only ever seen one with the wheel even remotely close to the guard. maybe the engineer is just being a ball buster.
i thought spacers were ok up to a limit? like 5mm, if not i know a lot of people that can get in trouble :(.

JohnL
19-01-2008, 09:13 PM
I'm not up on the legality of spacers, but if you have wheels with the wrong offset and fit spacers to bring them to the stock track width, then this will cause no additional strain on the studs etc than if the wheels had the correct offset in the first place.

Only if the track width is substantially increased will the forces seen at the studs increase because the wider scrub radius associated with track increase is effectively a longer lever through which forces are being imparted to the hub. This also has issues for bearing wear, but again spacers that bring the wheels to the stock track width cause no additional loading on the bearings.

You do want to make sure that centring rings are able to do their job correctly, and that the studs are long enough that the nuts are securely threaded onto them.

Topendwarrior
21-01-2008, 11:20 AM
i'll say you just get some spacers and pray that the cops won't pull you over for that, it is a much simpler and cheaper solution.