PDA

View Full Version : amp

OPL33Z
07-01-2008, 10:48 PM
hey guys..
ive been havin problems with my system.
wen my sub is on..the music starts to skip and stop playin..and when it does make the occasional sound...the sub sounds wierd.
when i turn the sub off..music runs fine.
Its a Clarion sub..runnin off a Boss amp (got it wit the car),
my splits are also runnin thru the amp.
i took it to car audio excellence and dey cheked it out and sed that my amp keeps goin into protection..
so i hav to get a better amp...im leanin towards a pioneers 4ch 600W amp
what u rekon?
and what do u think could of caused dis?

thnks

bankids
09-01-2008, 07:34 AM
i reckon buy class d amp for your sub and run a 2ch class ab for your front splits. coz 4ch's bridged rear channels wouldn't push enough kick into the sub. coz multi ch amp is not for bass....

englee
09-01-2008, 08:45 AM
Whats the power of your amp and sub? Are you running single or 2 subs? I'd recommend getting a 2ch amp instead of 4ch as well. Have a look a Jaycar's response range and if possible make sure that the amp pumps out more or at least matches the power of the subs.

OzSir2
10-01-2008, 11:26 PM
Unless you know what's causing the problem (you haven't said if it has been there since you installed it or if it just suddenly happened) even a Brax amp won't help you. It sounds like a wiring problem, or perhaps an adjustment of the amp/head unit rather than an amp problem. Yes what is the RMS power of the amp and how is it wired to the sub?

euro_tr4sh
15-01-2008, 11:31 PM
sounds like the sub is wired wrong to the amp, from what i can gather its a 4 channel amp, the rear 2 channels when bridged up can only run at 4ohm, the sub is probably wited for something like 2 or 1 ohm, causing the amp to run hot or clip and go into protection, that and its a boss amp, biggest pieces of crap in the history of car audio... if you plan on keeping it, make sure youre insured for fire damage :P

you all seem to be under the misconception that a 500watt rms sub need 500rms or more to work properly, most subs will get loud and sound fine for daily listening on as little as a quarter of their reccomended power, you probably have plenty of power for the sub, i dont think thats the problem at all, check the gains arn;t turned right up aswell, this may cause it to clip and go into protection aswell, another possible reason is the power supply, what size wire do you have running from the battery to the amp? 8/2/4/0awg??? it could be to small and not giving the amp as much current as it needs causing it to cut out when it needs to make a big draw for a bass note etc...

ps- how the hell would a brax help even if he did know the problem???? :/

OPL33Z
16-01-2008, 09:45 PM
fixed the problem guyss..
it was my sub.
not the amp..
so jus bought another sub :D
thanks for all the help tho

lieos
25-01-2008, 06:15 PM
i would still recommend you change the amp boss amps have a reputation for being fire hazards

55EXX
28-01-2008, 01:18 PM
yeah ditch the boss asap