PDA

View Full Version : crv rear diff

jasonb
08-01-2008, 04:40 PM
hi guys does anyone know if there is a substitute for the rear diff oil in the98 crv ,i rang our local honda dealer today and he says no and wants $90 for 4 litres ,even though you only use 1 litre at a time ,,,,,thanx guys

andiiso
08-01-2008, 04:44 PM
i reckon you may aswell do a diff flush if your gonna change the oil, which means you gotta drain it then fill it bak up then run it in reverse n all that jazz, then let it sit for a bit then drain it again and then fill it up again lolz, mayb thats around 2-3 litres ?

panda[cRx]
08-01-2008, 07:17 PM
i'd only use the oem stuff.

i'd just get a dealer to do it, they shouldnt charge you anymore than $65-85.

jasonb
11-01-2008, 04:45 PM
thanx guys ,ill ring around and get a price ,i really prefer to do it myself but i spose ill let em do it ,as i dont trust any dealer or mechanical workshop

j.meng87
11-01-2008, 10:54 PM
$90 for 4litres?? I think they are charging you for the Dual Pump System Fluid. Since yours is the gen1 crv you only need the Z1 ATF fluid. Like Panda[cRx] said its better to get Honda to change it for you as its hard to refill the diff back up. Its possible to do but u need a long hose to refill it back.

slidetaker
14-01-2008, 08:25 AM
$90 for 4litres?? I think they are charging you for the Dual Pump System Fluid. Since yours is the gen1 crv you only need the Z1 ATF fluid......

True that manual says ATF. But in US, their manuals recommend DPSF and ATF as temporary measure when in absolute necessary.

After all similar to other generations of CRV, gen 1 diff is a dual pumps system. So it should be better using DPSF as newer generations.

I wonder the reason for putting ATF is because at the time, we don't have DPSF in Australia yet???

Also, there is a DPSF 2 in US now. Wonder do we have that in Australia yet?

backdog
11-03-2008, 08:03 PM
yes DPSF is available at any Honda dealer, and yes you use it in all CRVs doesnt matter how old. this is the fliud honda originally brought out to stop the diff shudder. Even with a flush about 3 litres should get you out of trouble. Drain the fluid and fill with DPSF, drive the vehicle and do heaps of full lock U-turns ect do get the diff working. Then drop the fluid and refill with DPSF, should be all good. And you will need a pump or syringe if you do it yourself because you cant access the fill hole with a funnel.

shadou
11-03-2008, 08:07 PM
... god I love CRV's and the diff. flush procedure. Best 40 minutes ever spent on any one car!

slidetaker
12-03-2008, 07:32 AM
Personally, I never do the flash procedure. I just moving the maintenance interval to around 10k. So as time goes by, you wake up one day and realise the diff noise is gone...then goes back to the 40k interval....

I have seen people neglecting the diff before and know that it can take quite a beating....well at least the clutch packs inside can...so it is not like an air bubble inside the cooling system that you have to fix it immediately..

jasonb
12-03-2008, 04:32 PM
ive done 70,000 ks in it and it hasnt been changed ,,,,naughty me ,,,,i keep forgeting it has a rear diff ,,ahahhaour roads up here are bad dirt and a few tar ones ,,but ive never had an ounce of trouble with it ,,the whole car has been great ,,touch wood

shadou
12-03-2008, 08:38 PM
^ you probably can't notice the diff shudder since you drive on such harsh roads.

slidetaker
13-03-2008, 03:19 PM
The best way to test for diff shudder is driving it on freeway, above 100km/h, then place your left hand on the floor just behind the hand-brake and feel....

You can also try to listen to a high-pitch "whoooeeee", but the engine noise gets louder as you speed up. Furthermore, this high-pitch noise is nowhere as loud as the traditional U-turn squeak...

jasonb
13-03-2008, 05:51 PM
nah no noises ,maybe im just lucky