PDA

View Full Version : Help for an EK1 Suspension Upgrade

christo
08-01-2008, 08:17 PM
Hi,

I want to upgrade the springs/shocks of my EK1 civic sedan. At the moment it is totally stock, straight out of the factory 11 years and 100,000km ago, so methinks its time for an upgrade while I get the rear bushes changed...

I like the eibach/koni combo but the only way I can afford it is to get them delivered from The States; anyone have any experience/suggestions/warnings/problems with this idea?

I'm looking for a setup that is better on the twistys and other spirited driving but still compliant enough to be able to drive to uni and work everyday. It's never going to go on a track (D16y4...), that's for sure. Budget is $1200-1300

How much would I be looking at for installation?

Thanks heaps:thumbsup:

bennjamin
08-01-2008, 08:24 PM
IMO

Get ~

ASR brace + CTR or ITR rear swaybar $400 ish all up
This will help reduce body roll and increase frontal grip

EK9 shocks +springs
Stiffer and alittle lower than stock and great suspension.
OR
koni yellows plus eibach prokits from the US EBAY.

Then , make sure you have decent rubber and get a full alignment and your car should feel and handle very well.

Limbo
08-01-2008, 10:17 PM
IMO

Get ~

ASR brace + CTR or ITR rear swaybar $400 ish all up
This will help reduce body roll and increase frontal grip

even just this as a starter will give you great handling advantage. Then by the time your use to it you can think of which shock/spring combo to get depending on what your gonna use the car for.

I'd also recommend Front Strut brace (upper & lower) & rear upper brace

christo
09-01-2008, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm wondering how warranty would work (if at all) if I get some koni/eibach from the US?

beeza
11-01-2008, 09:42 AM
^^ x2,I would also like to know.
Also these eibach springs (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EIBACH-PRO-KIT-LOWERING-SPRINGS-CIVIC-DEL-SOL-92-00_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33582QQihZ016QQitemZ 8046986604QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1VQQtrksidZp1638Q2e m118Q2el1247) says it only lowers 1.4 Inch Drop (FR) & 1.2 (RR)?

dahon
17-02-2008, 12:55 AM
im in the same boat as christo..
what would be a cheaper version of the konis but still be great to fit on a ek1 sedan slightly lowered?
are ek9 sussys hard to source ben?

nd55
17-02-2008, 09:00 AM
> if I get some koni/eibach from the US?
> I'm wondering how warranty would work

In general it doesn't.

Legally, if Koni Oz didn't sell it to you it's not their problem.

Koni's are pretty reliable though. Just don't drop it below about 35mm.

Tax man can bite when things come through the post, be prepared for that.
Not always, but a large heavy package is bound to get some attention.

Bennjamin> ASR brace + CTR or ITR rear swaybar $400 ish all up

x2.

Koni reds.

According to the shock dynos I've seen, Koni reds and Koni yellows overlap in the shock settings typically used on civics.

Koni reds aren't adjustable however.
Koni yellows also have a few different lowering settings two front, three rear.
I don't think that's much of a problem however.

A set of King's lows will achieve your goals.

Koni also do a 'kit' yellows and matched springs or reds and matched springs for a nice
well matched set. a little more $$$$ though.

Bennjamin> Then , make sure you have decent rubber and get a full alignment and your car should feel and handle very well.

x2.

2.5 deg camber front, 1.5 deg rear. zero toe.

Good rubber will make ALL the difference. Bridgestone 010R or Yoko AD-07s are good but will consume all your budget just on rubber.

Look for something with a UTQG rating about 200. That's soft rubber.

> EK1 civic

I forget which front sways come OEM. a 26mm front sway from a wrecked same generation CRV might come in handy and cheap. Not sure about end link compatibilty.

It's a well tried and proven path.

When you've fitted all that and start experiencing weel bounce, then you know you have the bug.

Nick.

beeza
17-02-2008, 11:01 AM
I only just found out I have a 22mm front sway bar stock on my 96 EK1 Sedan.SUPRISED!

dahon
17-02-2008, 11:59 AM
I only just found out I have a 22mm front sway bar stock on my 96 EK1 Sedan.SUPRISED!

hahaha yeh i was changing the oil filter once and i was like, whats this metal thingy that twists in and out of everywhere... realised it was the front sway.. hehehe.. if only i had a oem rear sway..

beeza
18-02-2008, 11:26 AM
Ya gotta get the rear sway ASAP.I've put if off way too long,it should have been one of the first mods.I was going around a roundabout last night givin' it some and she was understeering like crazy i.e. the front wheels were sliding strait on.I hoping the rear sway will fix that.
If my front sway is 22mm does anyone know if I should go bigger like 24/26mm on the rear with the ASR?

bennjamin
18-02-2008, 03:38 PM
NO.

FYI a EK4 has a 26mm front swaybar and a 14mm rear

if anything a OEM 14mm rear swaybar ( off a EK4 to suit your chassis) would be a great improvement over stock.

Just get the above , or get a CTR rear bar + ASR kit :)

beeza
18-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Thanks ben,I think I'll go with a 22/23mm sway.