PDA

View Full Version : OIL / FILTER Question.....

pmptrading
09-01-2008, 04:15 PM
Hello,
My Honda Accord VTI 2.4 is fast approaching the 1000km first service....

Should I get the OIL and FILTER replaced at this time? (This is not required according to the service manual). However I want to do the best thing for the engine..... ADVICE PLEASE.

Secondly - I notice that the Oil Filter is not changed every 10,000km... but is changed every 20,000km. Personally I think it is false economy not to replace oil and filter every 10,000 km. Advice please....

I believe many of Honda's incentives are to do with the world environment.... personally I don't care about the environment - I ONLY CARE ABOUT MY HONDA..... I WANT MY HONDA TO LAST 20 YEARS.

I am trying to set my car up for 20 years of use.....

panda[cRx]
09-01-2008, 04:30 PM
1. no you should not get the oil changed!
this is NOT recommended by honda as they have special additives in the vehicle from the factory. all honda dealers should refuse to do this for you.

i've actually been told that ignoring this and changing your oil at 1000kms can actually void certain warranty aspecs

2. most dealers would do the filter anyway at 10k, if not just ask for them to do it. after all its only another $15 every 1k/6 months

if you have any service queries pm me. if you in melb i can look after you dealer service needs :)

aaronng
09-01-2008, 04:33 PM
Does the servicing booklet say to change oil at 1000km?

I paid the extra $11-15 for the filter. At every 10,000km service, I also change the filter. Even if they state that you don't need to, I still do.

panda[cRx]
09-01-2008, 04:38 PM
no it doesnt aaronn. the only SOME euros still have the first service oil change.

honda is phasing it out on all models, so with the new euros coming out this year all of the first service oil changes will be a thing of the past.

this is done for 2 reasons.

- to reduce oil changes (every bit helps the enviroment, and we know what honda is like with the enviroment)

- the additives apparently help running in the engine

aaronng
09-01-2008, 04:51 PM
I reckon it's to reduce the absorbed 1000km service cost. :)
Most engines have the internals coated with molybdenum from the factory, plus you can also buy certain engine oils with a higher molybdenum content. There are also millions of cars from yesteryear that didn't use a molybdenum-rich oil for running in and they are running fine. That and molybdenum acts as a lubricant, which doesn't really "aid" in running in.

panda[cRx]
09-01-2008, 05:27 PM
I reckon it's to reduce the absorbed 1000km service cost. :)
Most engines have the internals coated with molybdenum from the factory, plus you can also buy certain engine oils with a higher molybdenum content. There are also millions of cars from yesteryear that didn't use a molybdenum-rich oil for running in and they are running fine. That and molybdenum acts as a lubricant, which doesn't really "aid" in running in.

the cost would have some factor, but only very minor.
if the oil changes were truly required and honda was that concerned about keeping customers happy on the first service they would keep the oil change and do it free of charge.

i have no idea about the chemical breakdown of oils/additives, but if honda says its not needed/recommended its good enough for me lol

aaronng
09-01-2008, 06:43 PM
;1495184']the cost would have some factor, but only very minor.
if the oil changes were truly required and honda was that concerned about keeping customers happy on the first service they would keep the oil change and do it free of charge.

i have no idea about the chemical breakdown of oils/additives, but if honda says its not needed/recommended its good enough for me lol
The reason why I sound skeptical is because Honda is not excluded from dodgy practices. In the US, Honda specs 5w-20 or 0w-20 for the 2007 models. Why? Because they claimed lower EPA fuel consumption figures on the same engine and to achieve that, they used 5w-20 oil. So same engine, same car, lower fuel consumption to attract sales and they used thinner oil without regards to the cars that will see hot 30-40 C summers. :(

FAT VTI
10-01-2008, 12:20 PM
hey,
correct me if im wrong, i have read somewhere that factory hondas straight from production have some certain addictive in the oil, which is suppose to somewhat wear it in for a period of time (10 000km) or so?

I wouldnt know, somebody else can probably confirm this with more detail.

Sean

aaronng
10-01-2008, 12:31 PM
hey,
correct me if im wrong, i have read somewhere that factory hondas straight from production have some certain addictive in the oil, which is suppose to somewhat wear it in for a period of time (10 000km) or so?

I wouldnt know, somebody else can probably confirm this with more detail.

Sean
A member of the TSX forums (tsx.acurazine.com) had the special oil sent for oil analysis. It was the same as normal oil but with higher levels of molybdenum.

hotout
12-01-2008, 09:41 PM
my 05 Accord was required to be brought in for a service at 1000km.

Changed oil and filter according to the invoice. Service was totally free.

Every 10k km I've brought my car in to Honda, they've changed the oil and replaced the filter.