PDA

View Full Version : Door sound

Psy
11-01-2008, 07:55 PM
Hi guys, stupid question but just wondering when you shut the driver side door, it doesnt sound smooth. The passengers side doors when you shut them have a quiet, smooth close. I know its because the driver side opens and closes more, but is there anything out there that can make it smooth like the other doors?

JohnL
11-01-2008, 09:33 PM
How old is the car? My bet is that it's the rubber door seals taking a hammering over time. They just aren't as 'cushiony' as they used to be.

Psy
11-01-2008, 09:54 PM
just the 2004 Euro Luxury

Rubber door seals? do they cost much to replace?

aaronng
11-01-2008, 10:22 PM
That and the hinges and door closing metal guide needs lubing with grease. The hinges are almost impossible to grease, so I resorted to spray on lube instead.

Psy
11-01-2008, 10:34 PM
Ok cheers, ill go to Supercheap to get some grease tomorrow..

damn i'm hearing noises in other places too, the hinges as you mentioned make a tick sound when they open on the driver side too.. so maybe the hinges need some greasing up...

i dunno if the next sound is on all Euros, but when i'm indication to turn, the steering makes a tick, tick, tick sound when the steering turns.. but i haven't noticed it when i don't indicate...... and no im not referring to the indicators lol.. they're coming from the steering wheel itself...

aaronng
11-01-2008, 11:05 PM
The tick sound when you open the door is from the bolt that holds the metal sliding piece to the chassis. I've tried repositioning it, tightening and adding grease, nothing helps.

The indicator steering wheel click, I think I have the loudest one. Next time if you are at a meet, remind me to show it to you. Mine goes TAK TAK TAK TAK as I turn the wheel :)

JohnL
12-01-2008, 07:56 AM
i dunno if the next sound is on all Euros, but when i'm indication to turn, the steering makes a tick, tick, tick sound when the steering turns.. but i haven't noticed it when i don't indicate...... and no im not referring to the indicators lol.. they're coming from the steering wheel itself...

Are you sure? The self cancelling mechanism for the indicators is behind the steering wheel and often makes clicking noises as the steering is turned. If this clicking happens only when you have the indicators in operation but not if you forget to use the indicators then this is what it will be.

SRVTIR
12-01-2008, 11:10 AM
i think its coz your sitting right next to the door! lol

i got the same model... i started thinking stuff like dat... its just your imagination... it depends onn how hard u slam it man.. honestly.. dun worry yourself about it..

one4spl
13-01-2008, 07:01 PM
One of my back doors started creaking, I put some dry-lube (from The Usual Suspects) on it.

Dry lube is a stick of waxy lube stuff, just mash a bit up with your fingers and rub it on the door detent rod (the black plastic rod that slides into the door as you close it).

Similarly you could fix the indicator creak by putting dry-lube on it too, but you will need to remove the steering wheel to do this, which isnt for the feint of heart, particulary with an airbag wheel.

T-onedc2
13-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Hi guys, stupid question but just wondering when you shut the driver side door, it doesnt sound smooth. The passengers side doors when you shut them have a quiet, smooth close. I know its because the driver side opens and closes more, but is there anything out there that can make it smooth like the other doors?
One thing I did with my car after I bought it, and I know it's like 5-6 years older than yours, but to give the doors and boot their original solid sound when closing I adjusted the rubber door stops but turning them clockwise/anticlockwise to take up any slack from wear in the latch mechanism. Don't adjust them too tightly or the latch may wear excessively though.