PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Fan... Is it ok to remove it?

AsH_
11-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Radiator Fan... i seen a lot of cars not have the fans and just have the radiator.
and they still have a 1/2 size radiator...

wouldnt it make the car overheat more?

has anyone taken theirs off?

JohnL
11-01-2008, 10:12 PM
You won't overheat the engine if you can keep moving, but if you hit traffic etc then you'll have to shut the engine down to avoid cooking it. I can't imagine why anyone would remove the fan, it's there for a very good reason.

Even on a racing car it would be good to leave the fan in place and functional, they don't take power from the engine (especially when they're not running, which is all the time when on the move), weigh bugger all, and you don't want to boil it on the grid.

AsH_
11-01-2008, 10:49 PM
i seen ppl remove it to make more space, or they put in a full length radiator...

Gio
12-01-2008, 02:15 PM
could i live with no head?

dsp26
12-01-2008, 02:21 PM
yeah the only cars i've seen without the fans are non-road legal drag strip cars that obviously don't have air con either.

i haven't had mine off but forgot to plug in the loom once (which would be the same scenario)... and the car overheated at idle as mentioned by JohnL.

this was on my NX, tacho didn't notice the climbing temp but my datalogger did luckily.

AsH_
12-01-2008, 04:06 PM
ppl seen all those USDM civic and tegs with shaved bays with no radiator fans, just radiator...

Killa From Manila
12-01-2008, 04:09 PM
get a slimline thermo fan and mount it on the front side of the radiator. thats how they hide it

SPEEDCORE
12-01-2008, 04:12 PM
get a slimline thermo fan and mount it on the front side of the radiator. thats how they hide it

I agree with the slimline.... though if we are talking about still wanting efficiency, a pull through fan has better cooling ability than a push.

JohnL
12-01-2008, 04:14 PM
ppl seen all those USDM civic and tegs with shaved bays with no radiator fans, just radiator...
Like your mother might have asked; 'if you saw someone stick their head in an oven would you do it too?'. Just because someone else does something, or even quite a few someones, doesn't necessarily make it a good idea...

DLO01
12-01-2008, 04:16 PM
Maybe they put the fan in PUSH configuration instead of PULL, like mine. You cannot even see my fan really.

If you remove the fan, you WILL overheat on the street.

SPEEDCORE
12-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Man surprised there is room in the front of the teg to fit your IC and the fan :thumbsup:

DLO01
12-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Well this was one of the decisions with my setup as it was all one behind the other.......

It was: Turbo intake, Radiator, AC condensor, Intercooler.

Now its: Turbo intake, Radiator, Slim Fan, Intercooler.

Was a good excuse to get rid of my AC.

But yeh it is correct that a fan is more efficent with cooling in PULL config instead of PUSH.

string
12-01-2008, 04:36 PM
As long as it can keep you cool at idle it doesn't really matter where it is. Just get a high power 12" and stick it where it'll fit.

I have a half-sized rad with a pull-fan. It somehow became unplugged and overheated my engine badly within minutes of idling. Fan is a necessity.

AsH_
12-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Like your mother might have asked; 'if you saw someone stick their head in an oven would you do it too?'. Just because someone else does something, or even quite a few someones, doesn't necessarily make it a good idea...

not saying i am going to do it, but i am not so knowledgable when it comes to hondas than most ppl here.

i just wondered, most of these guys have modified engines and no fan.

and if there are ppl here that do it...

i already have a cooling problem and i need as much cooling as i can...

i never thought these USDM civic had slimline front fanz.

string
12-01-2008, 05:50 PM
i just wondered, most of these guys have modified engines and no fan.

There is little chance that is true. Like said previously, you simply may not be able to see it. There is near zero performance advantage of running no fan on ANY non dedicated-drag-car.