PDA

View Full Version : IS this normal for a civic coupe???

.::F[L]Y::.
20-08-2004, 11:38 PM
hi guys/gurls

im buying a civic coupe VTIR soon and as i was taking it for a test drive today my dad said fro mthe outside he could here when i shift gears it makes a clanking type noise, though when i drive the car everything is beautiful, smooth gear change, does not crunch..is this a honda thing?? im gettn it looked at through hanny's to be safe but just wanted a second opinion

cheers :eek:

|N|
21-08-2004, 12:04 AM
Y::.']hi guys/gurls

when i shift gears it makes a clanking type noise,
cheers :eek:

i think this is the typical honda stuff... when it warms up abit... i think that sound would go away ...

correct me if i m wrong...

skoota
21-08-2004, 12:11 AM
I only find that happens when going into reverse when the car is cold.

Kit
21-08-2004, 01:14 AM
yeah, it seems the honda gearboxes can get a bit clunky and noisy when cold.

after you get the car, change the gearbox oil to a good quality synthetic.

Robert at hanny's recommends Elf synthetic.
I also recommend Castrol Syntrax

Chi
21-08-2004, 01:16 AM
how much did u get paid to say that kit :p

Kit
21-08-2004, 01:23 AM
how much did u get paid to say that kit :p

hehehe i think Robert has seen my car a grand total of about 3 times, and that was about 3 years ago.
i don't take my car to get serviced by him.

but since the guy said he was taking the car to Hanny's I thought i may as well say that Robert recommends Elf while I recommend Castrol :)

SIKCVC
21-08-2004, 02:05 AM
yeah my clutch makes a clunk noise in reverse when its cold... its usually fine once its warmed up.

.::F[L]Y::.
21-08-2004, 08:36 AM
yeh the noise was when reversing and i think the engine is when cold....

thanks guys

CivicCoupe
21-08-2004, 10:49 AM
Just to backup what everyone else is saying.. YES, my coupe does the same thing to when its cold! :) errr sometimes when im putting it into second as well..

TwistedGurl
21-08-2004, 11:33 AM
Just to backup what everyone else is saying.. YES, my coupe does the same thing to when its cold! :) errr sometimes when im putting it into second as well..

ditto!

my 2nd is a bit crunchy...like most the time..even wen warm...

then again...i think ive crunched almost every gear there is on the car :confused: :(

carbine
21-08-2004, 11:44 AM
Common on most manual cars, not just honda's

Chi
21-08-2004, 11:50 AM
ditto!

my 2nd is a bit crunchy...like most the time..even wen warm...

then again...i think ive crunched almost every gear there is on the car :confused: :(

twisted gurl u sor mui, there is a clutch pedal there to make it smoother and less crunching :D

Nodachi
21-08-2004, 04:22 PM
errr my CRV has the same problems too... took it back to honda number of times and they can't fixed it... even if it had been warm up it still have the same problem...drivin my dad nuts..:P

kwayzivietnamese
21-08-2004, 04:46 PM
mmm...this is pretty bad of honda...altho i fink itd only be limited to a number of cars.
Cauz my 89 civic makes absolutely no noise when putting it in2 ne gear whether cold or warm. Only noise id get is a crunch if im going in2 a driveway at 5-10km/h for a 3 point turn n quickly shove in2 reverse while its still moving foward..but thats normal for every car...

ECU-MAN
21-08-2004, 09:46 PM
when you shift the shifter while the car is not moving you will hear noises, as only half of the gearbox internals are rotating. revers gear has no synchro. its just two straight cut gears with an idler gear, one of the gears just gets whacked into mesh with the other gear, this is by design and will make some noise. 1st to 2nd should be quite while the vehicle is in motion.