PDA

View Full Version : Panel Filter - Replacement Brands?

dsp26
12-01-2008, 03:41 PM
Hi All,

As per title.. i'm after a replacement panel filter

I'm after something preferably with:
- Mesh type element
- Foam type element

NOT AFTER:
- OEM
- K&N

Thanks in advance.... i just prefer the deeper sound the other 2 provide....

***EDIT***
also please no suggestions of pods/cai/sri/etc as i already came from one and want to retain stockish look

SPEEDCORE
12-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Trust Airinx
HKS Super Hybrid
Spoon

All three are foam based filters from memory.

In all honesty.. I am not too keen on the filtering qualities of foam filters.
My reason, had a HKS mushroom once, while cleaning the filter one day out of interest I put it up to the sun and I could see rather large pin holes of light comming through.

DreadAngel
12-01-2008, 04:10 PM
I had the Gracer/Trust Airinx on my EG, it worked a treat :)

EKVTIR-T
12-01-2008, 04:15 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Trust-Airinx-II-Air-Filter-Flow-92-95-Civic-Factory_W0QQitemZ250195102380QQihZ015QQcategoryZ72 478QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p 1638.m118

dsp26
12-01-2008, 04:19 PM
^^^ooft. exactly what i'm after!!!!

speedcore: yeah i agree.. just like the sound better.... what i planned on doing to the stock airbox was (after installing a foam panel) is to clamp on some panty-hose/stocking material to where the guard resonator was suppose to connect to :p metal mesh filters are worse though but make your car sound like a harley when combined with a cai

dsp26
12-01-2008, 04:21 PM
I had the Gracer/Trust Airinx on my EG, it worked a treat :)

how was the sound and improvement over the stock paper?

SPEEDCORE
12-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Bah you fool..... you want the deeper sound but you still using the res in the guard? ;)

Get rid of it already and throw some flex hose from the front to the bottom of the box.... pantyhose the end on that and be done with it. :)

EDIT: Read that wrong.. you want to put pantyhose where it previously was. U got the black U Pipe from the res to the underside of the box in EGs?

dsp26
12-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Bah you fool..... you want the deeper sound but you still using the res in the guard? ;)

Get rid of it already and throw some flex hose from the front to the bottom of the box.... pantyhose the end on that and be done with it. :)
no no no :p just have a K&N in the box with no reso... doesn't sound nice.
gonna keep the box and modify an SRI to fit... then do your last paragraph hehe

***EDIT***
actually, how do you attach a hose to the stock airbox when the inlet is oval? will a 3in coupler stretch-fit?

and here is the WTB: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1498994#post1498994

EKVTIR-T
12-01-2008, 04:35 PM
I know it looks odd but I actually drilled out the bottom of a spare airbox and to me it made a difference in flow.
This way it still looks stock.
It also sounds great if thats what your after.

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/331/dscf0351dk1.jpg

dsp26
12-01-2008, 04:43 PM
I know it looks odd but I actually drilled out the bottom of a spare airbox and to me it made a difference in flow.
This way it still looks stock.
It also sounds great if thats what your after.

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/331/dscf0351dk1.jpg

sweet.. i have a spare bottom to drill out :D yoink BRB

EKVTIR-T
12-01-2008, 04:47 PM
sweet.. i have a spare bottom to drill out :D yoink BRB
Try it with the oem filter and let us know what you think.
I have a k/n but always use the oem.
The drivability seems better with the oem panel.

DreadAngel
12-01-2008, 05:05 PM
I had a 3" K&N Pod Filter on the stock Rubber snorkel... It was terrible LOL!

Gracer Airinx gave a nice subtle induction sound while giving me back response LOL!

Samo
13-01-2008, 12:14 AM
should feed a pipe front front grill/bar to the inlet of airbox like mine ronald

oh and fishing in a few weeks when i get everything done .. promise
lifes been a mess lol

dsp26
13-01-2008, 09:31 AM
yeah but was wondering how you connect a pipe to the airbox... it's a massive oval?? i doubt a 3inch coupler would even fit around it... maybe a 4inch.

went fishing last night at greenwhich wharf... heaps of people... duno wtf every1 else was doing bu we were the only ones catching fish. nothing but bream though.. pretty sizable actually :D looking into the charters as a few mates are interested... will let you know

should feed a pipe front front grill/bar to the inlet of airbox like mine ronald

oh and fishing in a few weeks when i get everything done .. promise
lifes been a mess lol

dsp26
13-01-2008, 09:34 AM
Try it with the oem filter and let us know what you think.
I have a k/n but always use the oem.
The drivability seems better with the oem panel.

mmk didn't have an oem (have K&N) and yeah feels a lot ballsier downlow... theres a big BUT though and i have a few conclusions:

- Low Temp Fan switches (ie Buddy Club) is a BAD combo with a WAI... Heat soaks very quickly and is noticable.
- WAI is good on B16
- CAI is good on B18

SPEEDCORE
13-01-2008, 09:49 AM
yeah but was wondering how you connect a pipe to the airbox... it's a massive oval?? i doubt a 3inch coupler would even fit around it... maybe a 4inch.

This is why I mentioned the black U shaped pipe that went from the res to under the airbox... the EK has it.. not sure if the EGs do.
Cut that U pipe in half so you got a "J" and attach the pipe to that.

dsp26
13-01-2008, 10:37 AM
yeah got it but don't wanna ruin it.. may need it later... already had meetings with the noise/emissions people :(

This is why I mentioned the black U shaped pipe that went from the res to under the airbox... the EK has it.. not sure if the EGs do.
Cut that U pipe in half so you got a "J" and attach the pipe to that.

Samo
13-01-2008, 03:36 PM
mine just squeezes in the hole and sit there as the pipe has the wire in it which holds it in place qutie well

i went to long bay a few weeks ago on an arvo caught a cod, eel and some reef fish ... the cod was abt 40cm ...not bad