PDA

View Full Version : What suspension to get??? help chose.

-=Andy=-
14-01-2008, 10:33 AM
hey just sold the prelude and bought a 94 accord + h22 halfcut from a bb5 prelude.

Just wondering if anyone can help or give advice from knowledge or personal experience about suspension setups.

I dont want to spend more than $1200 and here are my choices.. cheaper the better for me i suppose as most of the $$ is going on the engine.

MY CHOICES:

skunk 2 racing suspension + skunk 2 springs/coilover package. $750 AU landed
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Skunk2-Sport-Shocks-Coilover-Sleeves-Accord-90-97-93-94_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33582QQihZ013QQitemZ 230212351487QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Ksport coilover suspension fully adjustable $1200 AU landed

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KSPORT-KONTROL-PRO-COILOVER-94-97-HONDA-ACCORD_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33582QQihZ020QQi temZ300144439994QQtcZphoto

D2 Adjustable Suspension $1070 AU landed
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/D2-Adjustable-Suspension-HONDA-ACCORD-CD-1994-97_W0QQitemZ160197009822QQihZ006QQcategoryZ130653Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

alternativly i can just get the skunk 2 shoks and use the king springs that i already have.

bumper
14-01-2008, 03:12 PM
Hey Dude,

I have just recently got the D2 Coilovers and am very hapy with them. One bonus of the adjustables is you can adjust quite easily.

The other thing is it depends on how low you want to go. The D2's have adjustable dampening which is a bonus when you want to shlamm your ride.

Also, I tried to buy Ground Control Sleeves form the States and got RIPPED OFF (Never got them!)

The D2's took 2 days to get to my door.

FAT VTI
14-01-2008, 09:03 PM
mate,

www.titanmotorsport.com

talk to Eric , get some tein superstreets

$1200 AU

very good, nobody complains about them, heaps of cd5's have them ,and the company is very trustworthy, many many happy buyers.

Sean

FAT VTI
14-01-2008, 09:05 PM
also, if you get adjustable coilovers, keep in mind everytime you adjust them, you should get a wheel allignment, because it throws out the toe.

Sean

Phorist
14-01-2008, 09:55 PM
aren't the ksport's and the d2's just the same but a different colour,
i'm looking at getting the d2's as well,
gotta love a potential 12cm drop!!!

-=Andy=-
14-01-2008, 10:17 PM
just found out some1 i know has air ride suspension and he wants $850 for the entire setup.. would that be worth getting??

sugz
15-01-2008, 12:19 AM
air ride aye?!
wat do you want from your suspension set up?!
is it just for drop or do you want track purposes down the track?!

if you jst want it for looks, get the air bag...
but i dont know much about them but for 850 which is about the same as spring + shock combo price, imo its a good price
*psst* *psst* LOL

FAT VTI
15-01-2008, 05:32 PM
Yeah mate, i agree with sugi (sugz) be careful buying it for 850, check the kms, and all the condition.

$850 seems too cheap imo,

I am sure i read somewhere d2s are illegal....

Sean

-=Andy=-
15-01-2008, 07:43 PM
d2's illegal... i thought coilover suspension was legal ..... hmmm

bumper
16-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Yep thats right coilover suspension is illegal. I think that it's a worthwhile risk to take.

FAT VTI
16-01-2008, 05:23 PM
no, coilover suspension is not illegal.

Something about the d2s having a twin perch or something which makes them illegal in australia.
as far as i know coilover suspension is legal.

Element12
16-01-2008, 06:07 PM
I was looking into the D2 Suspension Kit on ebay for my Accord, but i wasn't sure if i should or not, i went to Pedders Suspension (ripoff) they quoted $2400 + fitting for D2, So im gonna invest in the ebay D2 and fit it myself.

Tein are a VERY good brand for suspension as far as i know, my mate has it in his supra and its excellent stuff !

FAT VTI
16-01-2008, 08:15 PM
tell me why d2s over teins?

titan motorsport
basic-$800US
super street- $ 1000US

Deliverey incl. trusted company.

Up to you i spose.

Sean

angel
16-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Bilstein or Tein

Luke Accord
16-01-2008, 08:47 PM
I've got Koni Yellow's and Eibach springs on my accord i'm very happy with them no complaints and handling has been greatly improved. :wave:

-=Andy=-
16-01-2008, 08:51 PM
yer i want height adjustable tho Luke.. trying to keep everything legal on the car :P

Luke Accord
16-01-2008, 08:56 PM
yer i want height adjustable tho Luke.. trying to keep everything legal on the car :P

There are clips on the shocks that you can you to adjust the height 2 on the front and 3 on the rear so they are a bit adjustable in height but not as much as the coilovers. Why wouldn't that setup be legal?

FAT VTI
17-01-2008, 09:40 AM
yeah few problems with koni yellows

firstly, the are height adjustable shocks.

Secondly, APPARENTLY they have discontinued making them for 94-97 honda accords, as said by some1 in this forum who got reds instead of yellows.

You wouldnt have a hard time trying to find koni yellows but they are very expensive.
Trade price is like $700

I got quoted from wholesale suspension $950 for koni yellows, obviously u could prob find them somewhere for 800, or cheaper if ur sure u want them off ebay.

Then on top of that, you have to get springs.
again, u can go cheap and go to ebay, or you can get some kings or kmacs for about ....aww $350-$400, or something cheaper off ebay.
Plus, if you need them to be installed for you, that'll be another 100-250

So at the end of the day, koni yellows and springs (whatever u choose really) is a very good combination, however by the end of it you'd have spent as much as a decent set (teins) of coilovers.
Up to you really, im not saying konis are crap, quite the opposite, however they are expensive, and if they're worth it then fair enough, however i have heard of many accord owners with teins, and nobody is complaining.

Sean

FAT VTI
17-01-2008, 09:41 AM
luke accord
"Car: 94 accord type r"

huh?

-=Andy=-
17-01-2008, 10:02 AM
luke accord
"Car: 94 accord type r"

huh?

he has h22 transplant.

its what im working on atm myself except im battling if i should just get the full type R or mugen lip kit or Keep my buddyclub kit.

Eclipsor
17-01-2008, 10:21 AM
The koni's cost more because they are better shocks. Check out the shock dyno's on honda tech. As far as I know, all the cheaper ones like the D2's and ksports use the same bodies. But the internals and quality of parts aren't necessarily the same. I have had ksports for nearly 2 years now on my accord. I can't really recommend them though. I've had two shocks replaced under warranty. But apparently I'm the only one that has brought any back to this particular wholesaler in Brisbane. But who knows.

It's a real pain for accords. Not many options out there. The SS's seem to be fairly reliable, but they have fairly soft spring rates and not as much height adjustment as all the cheaper ones. If I was getting a set purely for street use I would probably get these though.

Another brand that people seem to like in the usa atm is F2 function form. But they always go crazy over new products for the first year because they look pretty. Then all the people with problems start surfacing.

Personally, I think I will try koni's and GC's again for my next set. But do your research and get the right spring rates for what you need and make sure the shocks are valved to match.

SiReal
17-01-2008, 11:06 AM
I'm on konis + H&R springs, cant complain. on softest damper, really nice and comfy, on medium to hard, stiff and sh1t and uncomforatble but handles amazing for a 4dr heavy car!

I have a mate who has D2s in his accord, pretty low, they work really well and certainly I think, are bang for your buck. If they had D2s for my accord, i would;ve gotten them, rather than spending stupid amounts of money on several sets of springs to obtain desired ride height (which still isnt right).

FAT VTI
17-01-2008, 03:55 PM
he has h22 transplant.

its what im working on atm myself except im battling if i should just get the full type R or mugen lip kit or Keep my buddyclub kit.

How does this make it a type r?

Luke Accord
17-01-2008, 08:14 PM
How does this make it a type r?

It just does.

FAT VTI
17-01-2008, 08:44 PM
If you say so:thumbsup:

-=Andy=-
17-01-2008, 09:52 PM
well if you change as much of the parts to make it a type r accord simmilar thing its ok to say its a type R kindof

i mean lets look at it this way..

my accord will be championship white, have coilovers , a worked H22, Race Seats, white race rims (if i can source out some nice honda typeR teggy ones).

the only thing that wont be as good or simmilar to the type R accord is the brakes.

Its the same as geting a Civic or a teg and converting all the interior and exterior and engine to type R and alot have done it. the only thing thats not type R is the little plate under the bonnet that says EXI or GSI or whatever lol...

Luke Accord
17-01-2008, 09:56 PM
If you want to put on Integra type r rims you'll need a 5 stud conversion I was considering it earlier last year but decided against it.

-=Andy=-
17-01-2008, 11:44 PM
i thought the type R DC2 is a 4stud..

i really love those white 17" honda 10 spoke rims on the new type R or accord option alot.

sugz
18-01-2008, 09:42 AM
JDM DC2R rims are 4studs
i got them on mine

FAT VTI
18-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Yeah, fair enough ....
However, Its still a type r conversion, not a type R.

Same as when you see VL's which have a walkinshaw conversion, they go for about 10G if theyre good.

whereas an original walkinshaw goes for bout 30.
That plate under the bonnet represents what car It was when it was made.

Ah well, whatever u wanna say ur car is then

Sean

FAT VTI
18-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Also, alot of it has to do with the availability of the car which determines a price.

A conversion accord type R would have a vastly different price tag to the "original" accord type r.

anyways, whateva i do not really care

Sean

Luke Accord
18-01-2008, 03:58 PM
i thought the type R DC2 is a 4stud..

i really love those white 17" honda 10 spoke rims on the new type R or accord option alot.

Yeah it is (4x114.3) sorry i was thinking of the current type R.

SiReal
18-01-2008, 04:15 PM
I would drop the type r thing. whats the big deal anyway?

sugz
19-01-2008, 10:46 AM
lol he just doesnt like "accord type r"

Andy, on PA you mention Skunk2 full coilover kit, not the sleeve
more info on that please

FAT VTI
19-01-2008, 04:35 PM
haha yes, sugi ur right

sean

-=Andy=-
20-01-2008, 08:35 AM
yer I got quote for the actual proper skunk 2 coilovers from the US. I hit up google and i think its from www.titanmotorsport.com or andy's motorsport. Just google accord coilovers and theres a couple of bigger shops in the US that stock them at a cheap price.

By the way im going for the tein's Its $950 AUS landed at my door. thats a great price. those are from titan motorsports

FAT VTI
20-01-2008, 01:42 PM
good work, i got the same.

ITS?
was that like' it's " 950?

OR IS ITS SOMETHING ELSE

sean

by the way, it would of been titan motorsport

SiReal
21-01-2008, 09:19 AM
are those Tein SS? or basic?

Congrats on the buy, once installed, u'll be amazed at how much your ride characteristics changes. You'll have to re-learn cornering in some ways.

Once to get a rear sway installed, same process.

FAT VTI
21-01-2008, 09:51 AM
are those Tein SS? or basic?

Congrats on the buy, once installed, u'll be amazed at how much your ride characteristics changes. You'll have to re-learn cornering in some ways.

Once to get a rear sway installed, same process.

Yeah dude, i am about 90% sure he is talking about the tein basics, and he bought em from titan motorsport.

They'll look awesome dude, check this out, he has 18s and tein basics-
http://www.ozaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749

That is the look i am trying to achieve, nothing too crazy , but looks good and is pratical for everyday driving to my local shopping centre, school etc.

Sean