PDA

View Full Version : No Vtec With TURBO, Whats the Difference ?

[Ash CIVIC]
14-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Guys my civic isnt Vtec but im getting it turbod for fun and i dont know if it goes better once turbod.

someone help me out plz.

dc2dc2dc2
14-01-2008, 11:53 AM
gotta love school holidayz

EuroDude
14-01-2008, 11:56 AM
If it doesnt go quicker after turbo, get a refund lolol

having vtec doesnt make much difference if you have a turbo

Limbo
14-01-2008, 12:19 PM
It does i know of a couple that are quite abit quicker.
You can turn your little engine into a WRX killer

[Ash CIVIC]
14-01-2008, 12:21 PM
is there any way that i could put the front mount ON the engine or does it have to be at the front ?

SPEEDCORE
14-01-2008, 12:28 PM
;1501072']is there any way that i could put the front mount ON the engine or does it have to be at the front ?

Yes. Though obviously you are going to want to run a modded bonnet.
May I ask why you want to topmount though? Response?

[Ash CIVIC]
14-01-2008, 12:30 PM
Yes. Though obviously you are going to want to run a modded bonnet.
May I ask why you want to topmount though? Response?

to avoid attention from cops.

SPEEDCORE
14-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Fair enough... however the bonnet having a buldge and a form of scoop will already attract them.... not to mention the usual 3" exhaust system that accompanies a turbo setup.

I find it pretty sad that people choose to mod their car based on what the police *might* think about it. Keep the mods legal and your driving the same... and they have nothing to pin you for.

[Ash CIVIC]
14-01-2008, 12:44 PM
Want my civic 2 hav abit of go untill 2 years time when im gona be driving something much faster so better 2 learn now..and i also take it for spins around m house where theres no cops hahaha thats the good thing.

aaronng
14-01-2008, 12:50 PM
;1501102']Want my civic 2 hav abit of go untill 2 years time when im gona be driving something much faster so better 2 learn now..and i also take it for spins around m house where theres no cops hahaha thats the good thing.

If it is for 2 years, drive your car as is and then change car in 2 years time.

flipstar
14-01-2008, 12:51 PM
ders no need 4 a top mount a friend of mine got a smalled sized front mount n resprayD it black 4 stealth effect u realli gotta look 2 spot the thing out onli dead give away is d sneeze that follows

Manabir
14-01-2008, 12:56 PM
from what i have heard (i could be wrong) the biggest advantage with turboing a vtec engine is that typicly vtec engines have a higher rev range.
the actually vtec doesnt make a difference.

thats just what i have heard...never had personal experience with turbo hondas. so flame away if i am wrong. :P

EuroDude
14-01-2008, 12:59 PM
It does i know of a couple that are quite abit quicker.
You can turn your little engine into a WRX killer

Depends on how much PSI the turbo is ;)

flipstar
14-01-2008, 07:12 PM
from what i have heard (i could be wrong) the biggest advantage with turboing a vtec engine is that typicly vtec engines have a higher rev range.
the actually vtec doesnt make a difference.

thats just what i have heard...never had personal experience with turbo hondas. so flame away if i am wrong. :P

nah vtec makes a big difference from personal experience you feel boost come in then vtec as well it all comes down to how well tune the car actually is will depend on how much power your car will make onli down fall is that when vtec comes through it dnt feel as rough as it does N/A

honda_zivic
14-01-2008, 07:20 PM
just front mount it dude.:D

destrukshn
14-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Depends on how much PSI the turbo is ;)
how much psi you are running you mean.
lol.

boost and vtec, esp b series vtec is awesome.
lol
vtec puts you even more into your seat
lol.

Fo55il
16-01-2008, 05:41 PM
or u could sell me your kit :)

flipstar
16-01-2008, 08:45 PM
i rekon its not worth goin through all the mods ne more man imo cause if u decide 2 give it the slightest hit who knows d car nxt 2 u might b a cop and then whats going to happen onli do mods if u plan on tracking your car just my 2 cents

[Ash CIVIC]
16-01-2008, 10:19 PM
got a point there man

ptran
17-01-2008, 08:48 AM
i reckon for now just thrash your civic now around your area and just save your money for your next car and make that a beast..

FAT VTI
17-01-2008, 09:50 AM
mate, by the time you turbo your civic, all the work your putting into it, and the big dent it will leave in your wallet, you have to ask yourself if it is really worth doing.

I know, at the end of the day, no matter how much money, time and all the rest you do to it, you will eventually lose the money you have spent on it.

Personal opinion, if you are going to sell your car in 2 years, i would bother turbo'ing it.
Wait until you buy a car which you plan to keep for a while, mod it over time (don't rush) and make it how you want it, without a time limit.

Also, If your worried about driving your car with cops pinning you, then you shouldn't be driving it. If your going to get booked by a cop, you'd want to hope it is something minor, because the amount of BS you have to do to get your car roadworthy, is ridiculous.

FAT VTI
17-01-2008, 08:43 PM
its not only people in ur car u need to worry about, its pedestrians and people in other cars.

Many car accidents (caused by p platers) are those which endanger the lives of other cars, not just the P plater.
I am on my red Ps, and you have to know your limitations and your surroundings, e.g. dont speed in shared traffic zones, or school zones, or jst neighbourhood streets in the afternoon or at all really

Anyways

patawan82
18-01-2008, 03:11 PM
Its not just as easy as wacking a turbo in.
You'll need heaps of custom parts which will cost $$$ to get decent power.
Also if you have to consider brakes, gearbox, and depending of the condition of the engine possibly a rebuild.
U mite as well drive the car for 2 yrs sell it then buy a turbo charged car and with all the money saved from not turboing the civic you can work it then and build a beast.

Fo55il
18-01-2008, 03:19 PM
nah turbo it man !!!!

Klayemore
20-01-2008, 02:01 PM
lol. Buy a vtec and install it into your engine when your turbo is being done. That would be the best option.

[Ash CIVIC]
20-01-2008, 03:02 PM
lol. Buy a vtec and install it into your engine..

do i look like the bank lol

i havnt taken 1c of my parents for this car.

[Ash CIVIC]
20-01-2008, 11:10 PM
my only question is

Will a non vtec civic go hard with a turbo ?

steve88
20-01-2008, 11:20 PM
yes, any boosted engine will go hard. D series are great but they only redline at 7500 without heavy mods to the internals, unlike boosting a B series that'll redline higher, but at the same time a B series + turbo = $8k ~ whereas D series + turbo = $3k

[Ash CIVIC]
20-01-2008, 11:29 PM
thankz for the info mate

Klayemore
21-01-2008, 09:40 PM
It won't go hard without a vtec. I have a friend who installed 2 vtecs on his engine and it made the turbo spool faster because of the air/fuel ratios.

Lukezen27
27-01-2008, 08:40 PM
It won't go hard without a vtec. I have a friend who installed 2 vtecs on his engine and it made the turbo spool faster because of the air/fuel ratios.

Bah

I cant feel VTec at all.. now boosted

I unplugged the VTec solenoid and drive home on Friday and it didn't feel any different lol

Limbo
27-01-2008, 11:25 PM
yeah its abit hard to feel the vtec, only feel it breaking traction ;p

[Ash CIVIC]
27-01-2008, 11:53 PM
guys how bout type R conversion

mku01
28-01-2008, 12:15 AM
yeah get the D series type R engine.. and then buy the Top Fuel VTEC kit, it's straight bolt-on so your car will be a weapon

SeverAMV
28-01-2008, 12:44 AM
yes, any boosted engine will go hard. D series are great but they only redline at 7500 without heavy mods to the internals, unlike boosting a B series that'll redline higher, but at the same time a B series + turbo = $8k ~ whereas D series + turbo = $3k

there are a few d series motors that are running 9krpm redlines on stock rods and crank. it doesnt really matter how high you rev your engine tho, its all pointless added stress unless your motor actually makes power that high.

if you're turboing a d series, head to www.onecamonly.com or www.fjdistributors.com for fj distributors. they sell an all motor kit which includes vitara pistons, head gasket, every gasket and seal, water pump, bearings, etc. required to run a turbo setup safely on a d series motor. they also sell valvetrain upgrades that should help, and its all relatively cheap. good thing about turbo-ing a sohc non-vtec motor is that there are less things that can go wrong, which is good if you dont have a bottomless wallet.

just dont get a ebay turbo kit, unless you have the money to modify the kit so it actually works. most people complain saying that the bolts and flanges dont line up, piping isnt round, etc.

aside from that, good luck and have fun.

ak3rx
28-01-2008, 12:54 AM
it would probably more helpful for urself... (and others) if u researched these matters urself before asking questions so u can get into more detail, u getting cheap shotted here more then getting much info... but if u like to roll this way go ahead.. LOL

also to help people, what kinda of budget are u looking at and what ultimate outcome do u want from ur car?

Cheers
charlie

AzKik-R
28-01-2008, 09:40 PM
If your going to turbo a honda, would probably want to do it on a non-vtec engine, the compression is a lil lower, this makes for safer boosting.

One of my mates runs 4psi on a vtec engine and it pulls away from the wrx's. with the compression so high, it limits the amt of boost you can run safely.
another has 72k in his engine bay, runs low compression setup and went past a gtr sideways!!!
Bottom line is, hope you got money for tires!!! it be a good investment to get a lsd, otherwise you'll chew thru your passenger front tire every month.
Top mounted intercooler v front mounted inrecooler
the front mount has the superior performance, a top mounted has faster response times because it has less piping pressurise, however heat tends to rise, and can easliy turn your intercooler into an inter-heater.

Elwood
29-01-2008, 09:59 PM
another has 72k in his engine bay

Get your camera and take some photoes :)

^Azkik is right.

With NA engines, ad especially b18c7 engines - the higher the compression the better performance. (11:1 is b18c7 i beleive?)

Running excess boost with this compression will lead to internal issues of your engine.

Deans dc2r-t is a turbo'd b18c7 running on safe tune of around 6psi? and he wrote in his thread about the advantages of the boosted b18c7 vtec engine.

The lower the compression of your boosted engine, the longer it will last.

B16bcivic
04-02-2008, 06:05 PM
All I can say is never run a turbo on a HIGH compression engine. your engine will blow. If getting a turbo rather engine conversion it. Honda engines with out vtec and turbo engines without turbo, Honda engines without vtecs are still faster.

Correct meif im wrong.

Lukezen27
04-02-2008, 06:08 PM
All I can say is never run a turbo on a HIGH compression engine. your engine will blow. If getting a turbo rather engine conversion it. Honda engines with out vtec and turbo engines without turbo, Honda engines without vtecs are still faster.

Correct meif im wrong.

Enjoy
http://www.hondatech.com.au/forum/showthread.php?p=29#post29

Luke

Limbo
05-02-2008, 09:07 AM

Correct meif im wrong.

You've got me confused on what your on about. High compression engines do not have a problem with boost so long as you can keep the intake cool enough not to effect the total static compression.

If there was an issue my stock b16a an Deano's b18c would have blown up already. Both are making healthy power with stock internals and stock high comp motors.

Try this link
http://www.hondatech.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=399

The reason why manufacturer's lower compression is cos they do not run proper cooling (look at their little intercoolers) all the time and so to save the life of the engine they lower the compression.

When you build your turbo you will take this all into consideration.

There is a reason why hi-comp engines make more power boosted than the same engine with lower compression. That is cos the engine is more efficient at higer comp. The main problem you have is heat issues and combustion

Limbo
05-02-2008, 09:14 AM
this link is also helpful learning

http://www.hondatech.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=217

B16bcivic
05-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Tnnx bro for correcting, info got of a mate lol. All I know is you need to lower your compressiong if your engines compression is very high? not sure was told by a honda mech?

Limbo
05-02-2008, 08:04 PM
its a common misconception of people who don't know much about turbos

SeverAMV
05-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Tnnx bro for correcting, info got of a mate lol. All I know is you need to lower your compressiong if your engines compression is very high? not sure was told by a honda mech?

lowering compression helps a little since the turbo is already compressing the air a lot, but fuel still needs to be compressed. and theres nothing wrong as long as the motor can handle it. from what i know, high compression helps spool up the turbo faster.

SLOWEGG
06-02-2008, 05:09 AM
What is high and low compression to you guys?

SeverAMV
06-02-2008, 09:50 AM
imo, high compression is anything >9.0:1, and low compression is <9.0, and i consider the >10.5 you'd find on most new honda's to be ultra high compression. but thats just me.
you might be playing around with the iggy timing and sparky temp for a while if you have a high compression turbo build, as the mixtures will have a greater tendency to ignite earlier and ping with the added stress of a high compression motor.

flipstar
07-02-2008, 12:40 PM
deleted

SLOWEGG
07-02-2008, 06:16 PM
This has to be the most convoluted, and misleading theory, giving mismatched reasoning using several different INCORRECT reasons I have ever read yet at OZhonda. :eek:

Please try and put your theory into some order using correct terminology so we can try and figure out what the heck it is you are trying to say.

He's trying to say he has no idea what hes talking about.

flipstar
07-02-2008, 09:48 PM
LOL omg sorry bout that guys i didnt post that up there flame away bloody dont leave ur ozhonda page loaded up around 16y/o cousins that think they know the lot lol my bad guys

[Ash CIVIC]
09-02-2008, 11:12 AM
Lol ^^

[Ash CIVIC]
09-02-2008, 11:13 AM
Im tryna find some1 that would swap a vtec engine for my non vetc engine + money its way.

Lukezen27
09-02-2008, 02:29 PM
;1533676']Im tryna find some1 that would swap a vtec engine for my non vetc engine + money its way.

if your boosting don't wast your cash lol

Elwood
09-02-2008, 02:53 PM
Im tryna find some1 that would swap a vtec engine for my non vetc engine + money its way.

If your boosting you can keep your non vtec engine - as discussed before.

B16bcivic
10-02-2008, 08:40 AM
I only know how turbo works, I don't know what types or problems turbos can cause or how to fix them hahaha.

B16bcivic
10-02-2008, 08:42 AM
LOL omg sorry bout that guys i didnt post that up there flame away bloody dont leave ur ozhonda page loaded up around 16y/o cousins that think they know the lot lol my bad guys

True true it happened to me a couple of times now and its 14yo brothers haha.

Lukezen27
10-02-2008, 09:01 AM
True true it happened to me a couple of times now and its 14yo brothers haha.

Quick bitch slap every now and then will sort em out..

I give my little bro one here and there just to keep em in line :p

B16bcivic
10-02-2008, 09:05 AM
Quick bitch slap every now and then will sort em out..

I give my little bro one here and there just to keep em in line :p

True i should ayes hahaha, when they talk about cars they talk like they know alot but i just laugh haha. Stupid them making me feel like a noob sometimes on here from the comments they comment on here.

flipstar
10-02-2008, 03:49 PM
^^ i second that lol keep the pimp hand strong pplz lol but more so back on the topic imo i would boost a d series 2 get sum experience bout turboz cheap 2 build n fix if problemz occur

AzKik-R
10-02-2008, 06:13 PM
Why is everybody making this so confusing, you can turbo your vtec engine if you like. you will be limited to low boost levels(for engine safety reasons), between 4 - 10 psi. This is because the vtec engine has higher compression levels then the non-vtec engine. if you have the non-vtec engine then you can run the higher boost levels.

The intercooler chills the air which helps make it less likely to ping, if you have a problem with detonation then you will burn a hole in the pistons, if you over boost you are more likely to break a rod.

Once you have purchased the car, is probably not the best time to think about going turbo or not, this is generally something you decide befoer you purchase. Simply because the purchase of a non-vtec car is cheaper then purchasing a v-tec engine and then changing the internals to increase the boost.

hmmm one other alternative is get a really thick head gasket to drop the compression a little bit.

SLOWEGG
10-02-2008, 06:59 PM
So you're saying if you turbo a non vtec motor you can run more boost? All the stock dseries turbo i see all run about 10psi same as a vtec motor.

Lukezen27
10-02-2008, 07:05 PM
So you're saying if you turbo a non vtec motor you can run more boost? All the stock dseries turbo i see all run about 10psi same as a vtec motor.

Its not the amount of boost your motors running but the amount of power the motor makes...

SLOWEGG
10-02-2008, 09:11 PM
I know it is but all he seems to be talking about is the boost level.

AzKik-R
10-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Its not the amount of boost your motors running but the amount of power the motor makes...

no. its about the compression ratio v the amt of boost....
high boost + high compression = disaster (unless you've built it solid)
high boost + low compression = good
low boost + high compression = good

VTEC18
11-02-2008, 11:30 AM
its better off convertin the whole engine anyway cause the little turbo though fun cant be boosted as much as your low compression engine conversion

Limbo
11-02-2008, 03:58 PM
its better off convertin the whole engine anyway cause the little turbo though fun cant be boosted as much as your low compression engine conversion

I've think you've just confused things again, read the previous posts above

[Ash CIVIC]
11-02-2008, 04:38 PM
I've think you've just confused things again, read the previous posts above

yeh i think i might just go with a vtec engine conversion so later on its easier 2 sell to sum P plater haha