PDA

View Full Version : Skunk2 springs

MM89
15-01-2008, 12:31 AM
Hi guys,
Currently got my eyes set on the Skunk2 springs.
Just like to get some opinions on this set. Has anybody
purchased them and know how they feel in comparison
to the stock ride? The EG4 stock suspension at the moment
is REALLY soggy. Surely the springs would stiffen up the car
a bit...Also are there any recommendations for shock absorbers?
As you can see, I'm not really spending much on my sussy setup.
Most likely just need some shocks that'll absorb the impact quicker
than the current, yet still remaining to be stiff enough for some
fun cornering. I have considered coilovers as it is a couple hundred more
for some cheap coilovers, but I don't want to compromise for quality
when I'm going down that path, so that'll definitely be something to consider
later on.

Cheers guys and girls,
Mike

Sydsyd
15-01-2008, 08:08 AM
if u're going budget, why not get a set of used DC2R shocks n springs? I'm currently using them, and have changed the springs with Tanabe DF210 (more to looks), which is 10-20% stiffer than stock DC2R springs, and lowers the car by about 2 inches...maybe i'll change to the GF210 (more to performance) sometime in the future;)

pm me for pics;)

philBo
15-01-2008, 08:12 AM
hey mate, check out this thread http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66368&highlight=koni

depends on what you're after really. shocks + springs are more then enuff if you just wanna go for a nice ride height n slight handling improvement aye.

MM89
15-01-2008, 02:31 PM
if u're going budget, why not get a set of used DC2R shocks n springs? I'm currently using them, and have changed the springs with Tanabe DF210 (more to looks), which is 10-20% stiffer than stock DC2R springs, and lowers the car by about 2 inches...maybe i'll change to the GF210 (more to performance) sometime in the future;)

pm me for pics;)

yeah i actually have considered that but then again buying second hand
suspension is kinda hard..sometimes if the buyer says it's done 5000km can that exactly be reliable? get what i mean? also might need a rebuild around 2000km etc. Also with DC2R suspension I would think that it has done the hard yards already...it's a good idea anyway, thanks dude :)

MM89
15-01-2008, 03:06 PM
hey mate, check out this thread http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66368&highlight=koni

depends on what you're after really. shocks + springs are more then enuff if you just wanna go for a nice ride height n slight handling improvement aye.

yeah i was actually just checking out this thread this morning..
Like FAT VTI said, a 14 year old accord would benefit from any
change from stock sussy. So I would tend to think that a 16 year
old Civic would also to some extent benefit from any change.
However a decent shock/spring kit does indeed near 1 grand..
So what shocks would I be able to match with the Skunk2 springs
to keep my setup around 700 to 800? Springs are around 200 btw

Cheers peeps :)

Sydsyd
15-01-2008, 03:14 PM
yeah i actually have considered that but then again buying second hand
suspension is kinda hard..sometimes if the buyer says it's done 5000km can that exactly be reliable? get what i mean? also might need a rebuild around 2000km etc. Also with DC2R suspension I would think that it has done the hard yards already...it's a good idea anyway, thanks dude :)

well it depends on how long the sussy had been used...when i bought mine, the previous owner used them for around 60000km, which is still in good condition, and i'm pretty sure i could squeeze another 50-100k km before it goes out...and up until now after 6 months use, i've done another 10k km, and they're still good...

iced
15-01-2008, 04:43 PM
how much money you got to spend?

EKVTIR-T
15-01-2008, 05:16 PM
how much money you got to spend?

So what shocks would I be able to match with the Skunk2 springs
to keep my setup around 700 to 800? Springs are around 200 btw

:wave:

iced
15-01-2008, 05:23 PM
sorry to say but no adjustable shocks will be in your price range.
you can go a set of KYB Excel-G which are 15% uprated for around $350-400.
this will be fun as a daily but can be hairy on the track.
Koni yellow setup with some lowered uprated spring would set you back around $1100-1200

id go coilovers.
decent ones start from $1300 with 2year warranty.

MM89
15-01-2008, 05:44 PM
sorry to say but no adjustable shocks will be in your price range.
you can go a set of KYB Excel-G which are 15% uprated for around $350-400.
this will be fun as a daily but can be hairy on the track.
Koni yellow setup with some lowered uprated spring would set you back around $1100-1200

id go coilovers.
decent ones start from $1300 with 2year warranty.

yeah thats exactly what i mean...if a decent shock/spring setup would
cost me a couple hundred less than coilovers, would it be better to stick
with a cheaper pair of c/o? Would these c/o's be able to handle the heavy
duty work on the track?

MM89
15-01-2008, 05:51 PM
well it depends on how long the sussy had been used...when i bought mine, the previous owner used them for around 60000km, which is still in good condition, and i'm pretty sure i could squeeze another 50-100k km before it goes out...and up until now after 6 months use, i've done another 10k km, and they're still good...

fair enough...6 months and 10,000km??? That's heaps mang!! So you'd
be doing around 20,000 a year i'm guessing?

Sydsyd
15-01-2008, 06:55 PM
well about 2 months after i got them, i drove to syd and back, which explains the sudden high kms for 6 months lol...plus a couple of cruises, a few day trips and also daily driving from and to work;)

iced
16-01-2008, 09:42 AM
yeah thats exactly what i mean...if a decent shock/spring setup would
cost me a couple hundred less than coilovers, would it be better to stick
with a cheaper pair of c/o? Would these c/o's be able to handle the heavy
duty work on the track?

itll be fine.
2yr replacement warranty is what makes it very tempting:)
i do heaps of daily driving, track work and winding roads with no probs. 20kkms a year worth. keep in mind race tracks are alot smoother than your suburban roads too.
if you are to go budget coilovers my recommendation is g4.
you can chose your springrate, dampers (street/track/drift) but if you car is still a daily driver go street spec damper.
imho they are underrated.
blaze into a corner, hit a road gap and the suspension just laps it up.

if you are going to do trackwork you will definately appreciate coilovers.
my cars been through heaps of suspension setups and only coilovers has enabled me to push my car harder than before.

i dont even bother with 2nd hand shocks and coilovers unless i know their history and its mega cheap.

SeverAMV
21-01-2008, 10:20 AM
could always get the skunk2 coilovers on ebay for 550US. only adjustments that can be made are height, but its nice and stiff, and balanced enough to be nice and comfortable for daily driving. if you're worried about the authenticity of the seller, you can check skunk2's website for listed official online sellers.

skunk2 are kinda budget entry into the coilover range. if you want full adjustability, expect to spend a lot more.