PDA

View Full Version : camshaft chain change interval

splashalot2000
15-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Hello all

I'm currently looking at buying a new Accord Euro and am wondering what is Honda's recommendation for changing the camshaft chain?

Could an owner please check their service manual and advise the time and distance interval (eg. 5 years or 150,000km, whichever comes first)?

Many thanks in advance.

SS

destrukshn
15-01-2008, 06:58 PM
you don't
lol

Drew
15-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Chains rarely if ever need to be changed

Belts on the other hand do need to be changed

destrukshn
15-01-2008, 07:03 PM
yah, they don;t really break, or shouldn't.
they may get noisy.
but that's about it.
rarely, you would replace one.

splashalot2000
15-01-2008, 07:14 PM
yah, they don;t really break, or shouldn't.
they may get noisy.
but that's about it.
rarely, you would replace one.

I know that Subaru recommend changeing their chains on the H6 engine - from memory every 150,000kms, so I assumed Honda would recommend a similar interval.

Does the Euro service manual specify the chain never has to be changed?

BTW, the Euro's camshaft chain is a major reason for us trading our rubber belt 2.5 Subaru Liberty :-)

SS

yfin
15-01-2008, 08:06 PM
The chain is supposedly maintenance free. Should last the life of the engine.

Spicey
15-01-2008, 08:08 PM
Chains and guides only need to be replaced when noisy, not by a specified "interval". There is a very good chance you will never have to replace the chain on the Euro.

splashalot2000
15-01-2008, 08:43 PM
Chains and guides only need to be replaced when noisy, not by a specified "interval". There is a very good chance you will never have to replace the chain on the Euro.

That's great news - I'm sick of the expense of changeing rubber cambelts.

Many thanks all.

SS

Spicey
16-01-2008, 06:06 AM
Go the Euro:thumbsup:

BiLL|z0r
16-01-2008, 06:15 AM
I know that Subaru recommend changeing their chains on the H6 engine - from memory every 150,000kms, so I assumed Honda would recommend a similar interval.

*see good opportunity to praise Honda*
That's why Honda is better than Subaru.

splashalot2000
16-01-2008, 09:45 AM
*see good opportunity to praise Honda*
That's why Honda is better than Subaru.

I must admit our Liberty has been less than a paragon of reliability - I'm pretty reluctant to buy another Subaru as I think they're trading on the excellent reputation of the older models.

I've driven the Euro and love it - it's such a balanced car - it does everything well and nothing badly, and the size is perfect for our family car. The Euro would be my wife's car, as I have a new Golf GTI.

This forum is part of my research, but I've so far not uncovered any significant issues with the Euro - they seem pretty bullet-proof. My only decision is whether to wait for the new model, but that's the subject of another thread....

Thanks for all the replies.

SS

tony1234
16-01-2008, 05:12 PM
I must admit our Liberty has been less than a paragon of reliability - I'm pretty reluctant to buy another Subaru as I think they're trading on the excellent reputation of the older models.

I've driven the Euro and love it - it's such a balanced car - it does everything well and nothing badly, and the size is perfect for our family car. The Euro would be my wife's car, as I have a new Golf GTI.

This forum is part of my research, but I've so far not uncovered any significant issues with the Euro - they seem pretty bullet-proof. My only decision is whether to wait for the new model, but that's the subject of another thread....

Thanks for all the replies.

SS
What problems have you had with your Liberty?I've had a 2000 RX and a 2002 RX both manual prior to my 06 Euro.

splashalot2000
16-01-2008, 09:18 PM
What problems have you had with your Liberty?I've had a 2000 RX and a 2002 RX both manual prior to my 06 Euro.

Hi Tony

It's a 2003 manual RX, and the problems in no particular order:
- boot spoiler has cracked twice (warranty);
- unresolved wind noise on driver's door;
- numerous transient and unresolved rattles;
- radio/cd failed (warranty);
- dual-mass flywheel failed and replaced, along with a new clutch (warranty)
- and finally, the coup-de-grace: it's developed piston slap (at 60,000kms), which within a year or so will most likely render it unsellable (ie. who would buy a car which sounds like it's about to lunch it's bearings?)

Hence my interest in a Honda..... ;)

How do you find the Euro compared to your Liberty(s)?

SS

tony1234
17-01-2008, 07:02 AM
Hi Tony

It's a 2003 manual RX, and the problems in no particular order:
- boot spoiler has cracked twice (warranty);
- unresolved wind noise on driver's door;
- numerous transient and unresolved rattles;
- radio/cd failed (warranty);
- dual-mass flywheel failed and replaced, along with a new clutch (warranty)
- and finally, the coup-de-grace: it's developed piston slap (at 60,000kms), which within a year or so will most likely render it unsellable (ie. who would buy a car which sounds like it's about to lunch it's bearings?)

Hence my interest in a Honda..... ;)

How do you find the Euro compared to your Liberty(s)?

SS
Build quality is better.I've had no warranty issues in the 18+ mths.i've owned it.2 minor issues i had were.1)passenger door needed slight adjustment as it was a bit hard to close .(fixed at 1K service).2)bonnet was vibrating a bit when driving on the freeway,needed adjusting.(fixed at 30K service).now all is good.:thumbsup: