PDA

View Full Version : Ek4 b16a head Knocking/rattling noises?

Roy_Wang
16-01-2008, 12:00 AM
Just purchased a 1996 ek4 and on cold start is when it is the loudest, a loud knocking/rattling noise comes from the left side of the head, when warming up the noise slowly gets quieter but still there at idle, only until driven and v-tec'd the noise is barely noticeable at idle. has any one have this problem and fixed it somehow??? and yes i got the tappets adjusted. The engine has done 229 ***kms immaculate condition.

spetz
16-01-2008, 01:08 AM
Maybe it's the wrong type of oil, or I think also oil should flow through the tappets, and maybe that's a bit clogged

dsp26
16-01-2008, 05:08 AM
"LEFT Side" as in passenger or driver side? depends which perspective your talking about....

ECU-MAN
16-01-2008, 08:05 AM
where the tappets done by someone who knows hondas's,

could also be the distributor

Roy_Wang
16-01-2008, 08:53 AM
Left side as in the driver side, its defiantly not the distributor, and the tappets were done by someone who knows Honda's very well, what gets me it goes away when i hit v-tec, i know having very thin oil in a aged car makes louder tappet and cam noises, but the sound its making is more severe than a thin oi problem, I'm using Mobil 1, 0W - 40, cause this oil supply of oil is endless to me.

Limbo
16-01-2008, 08:59 AM
you prob just don't hear it when you hit vtec.
I would say tappets also, or you've got really thick oil

Roy_Wang
16-01-2008, 09:04 AM
Na I'm running Mobil 1, 0W - 40 one of the thinnest oil, when i say it goes away when it hits v-tec, i warm up the car at a stand still not driving it, the noise quietens a little bit when it get warm, then when its warm i take it for a drive and i don't hit v-tec the noise says at idle, only until i drive and v-tec it the noise goes away and is barely noticeable at idle

Drew
16-01-2008, 09:08 AM
Could be worn valve seats; but that might be a bit of a stretch

kayot1k
16-01-2008, 02:06 PM
but what about when you "hit v-tec" is it a mad rush ?

ECU-MAN
16-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Left side as in the driver side, its defiantly not the distributor, and the tappets were done by someone who knows Honda's very well, what gets me it goes away when i hit v-tec, i know having very thin oil in a aged car makes louder tappet and cam noises, but the sound its making is more severe than a thin oi problem, I'm using Mobil 1, 0W - 40, cause this oil supply of oil is endless to me.

there is only one left side to a car, and in Australia thats the passanger side