PDA

View Full Version : Spot Lights

DamienS
16-01-2008, 07:52 AM
As well as upgrading the globes in the headlights I am looking to put some powerful spot lights on my 2006/07 civic. Has anyone one else done anything similar? If so do you have any pictures.

I am trying to get an idea of the neatest way of doing it without spoiling the look of the car too much. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

I plan to wire them in only on the high beams as I do a fair bit of non city night driving.

Cheers

Shimian
16-01-2008, 08:10 AM
are you talking about those huge lamps that sits at the front on FWDs? I thought they were illegal on standard cars? If this is what ur talking about, it will look hideous on a Civic. Why not just get HIDs? it should be enough for non city night driving. But then again its illegal to have HIDs in reflector lamps

DamienS
16-01-2008, 08:30 AM
are you talking about those huge lamps that sits at the front on FWDs? I thought they were illegal on standard cars? If this is what ur talking about, it will look hideous on a Civic. Why not just get HIDs? it should be enough for non city night driving. But then again its illegal to have HIDs in reflector lamps

Yes and no.

Yes looking for that type of light but no, not like the bid 4wd ones. Something smaller that will look in line with the car.

Maybe something like this
http://www.hella.com/produktion/HellaAU/WebSite/Channels/Drivers/Auxiliary_Driving_Lamps/Micro_DE_Series/Micro_DE_Series.jsp

Not these exact ones as they are over $2000 ( i just checked)

Nah I dont want HID's in the standard headlights due to legality problems.

Normal lights a re legal provided they are wired correctly and used in the appropriate circumstances (So i believe anyway)

buddah51au
21-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Fitting a decent pair of driving lights is the best thing i did

DamienS
21-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Fitting a decent pair of driving lights is the best thing i did

Can you please post a picture, stuffed if I know where they will fit properly!!!

Just noticed you avatar, but do you have a bigger picture than that?

What did it cost you? (if you dont mind me asking)

buddah51au
21-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Picture 001.jpg

buddah51au
21-01-2008, 10:27 PM
pm me with your email address & will send to you. A little bit of a pain to fit properly, about 3 hours start to finish. From memory lights were about 250 + 80 for the light bar

DamienS
22-01-2008, 08:35 AM
pm me with your email address & will send to you. A little bit of a pain to fit properly, about 3 hours start to finish. From memory lights were about 250 + 80 for the light bar

PM Sent, thanks.

I am guessing that yours a pencil beam type light as opposed to a wide spread beam?

Do you notice any drop in lighting in the car when the spotties come on due to current drain?

buddah51au
22-01-2008, 09:50 AM
PM Sent, thanks.

I am guessing that yours a pencil beam type light as opposed to a wide spread beam?

Do you notice any drop in lighting in the car when the spotties come on due to current drain?

Lightforce Driving Lights have an adjustable beam, so it is possible to adjust both lights to give the spread you want. If your unable to get the spread you requier it is just a matter of changing 1 of the lens's.

As for current draw ..... absolutely no problems

DamienS
22-01-2008, 03:41 PM

Was that $250 for each light or $250 for the pair.

Just quoted $259 per light for a hella.

buddah51au
22-01-2008, 04:09 PM
I would not consider Hella.....If you want good lights you cant go past Lightforce......just ask any truckie. Price will depend on where you get them. I just did a quick search and seems to be around $300 for a pair now.

DamienS
22-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Buddah,

Thanks for that and for the picture. Asked my wife what she thought, response was " they look like they could go on a 4wd" I laughed as said yep probably.

I sourced a retailer for the bar, a local 4wd shop, $60.

Now just need to check the lightforce website.:p

I am presuming you have an additional switch for the lights (secondary to running off the highbeams). Where did you run the switch through to the cabin?

I know it previous older cars I have found existing holes through the fire wall but just a bit more cautious with a new car.

buddah51au
22-01-2008, 06:58 PM
I am the first to admit they look out of place on the car, but the bottom line is i needed good lights due to the wildlife on roads in this area. I researched they best option for several months before going this way. You will find Lightforce to be an extremely durable but lightweight light and if you go with this recommendation you wont be sorry with the end result.
My wife also hates the look, but now says she wants them on any future car.
If you look from under the car you will find a place to run the wiring loom through the firewall. The biggest problem you will have is mounting the light bar securely so there is no vibration.