PDA

View Full Version : Graphite

ptran
16-01-2008, 04:09 PM
Currently i am buying a new head gasket to replace my old one to a graphite head gasket. Its cost me $295 and im wondering if anyone has any advice about the qualities of graphite?

Cheers~

one4spl
16-01-2008, 04:16 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphite

Spicey
16-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Graphite is just newer and supposedly longer lasting/more reliable. Is there a problem with your old gasket? Its a big job to replace just to have graphite in there!

ptran
16-01-2008, 07:50 PM
no problem now..just had to get the engine block re-conditioned and replaced the head gasket as well as the old one was warped..thanks for that

JohnL
16-01-2008, 08:16 PM
I don't know anything about graphite coated head gaskets (first time I've even heard of them!), but I think I might have some idea why it might be a good thing.

Even though the cylinder head and the block share the same coolant, these two parts of the engine won't run at the same temperature, with the head being typically hotter than the block will be because most heat is produced in the top of the motor and cooler coolant is flowing from the bottom to the top of the engine.

In this case the head will expand more than the block will (keeping in mind that the gasket itself will tend to thermally insulate the block from the head), and the head will expand at a slightly greater rate and to a slightly greater degree than the block will. This will cause slight movement between the block and the gasket, and the gasket and the head. Over time this movement may damage the gasket and / or the block and head surfaces. Graphite being a lubricant ought to minimse the possibilty of such damage.

Then of course I could be barking up the wrong tree entirely!