PDA

View Full Version : Why 3rd gear crunch B16/Y1 in CRX conv?

JohnCRX
21-08-2004, 07:09 PM
Has anyone else had the problem with a newly installed JDM B16/Y1 and found that the 3rd gear crunches on fast changes?
It seems OK when dawdling about town, but when you give the vtec a workout, the gear crunches every time changing fast at the higher revs. 1st and 2nd seem OK.
The oil I have used is Shell Helix 15W50 semi-syn.
Any suggestions on oil?
Or do I have to get a rebuild?
What chance do I have of getting the importer (Rolin Imports) to fix on warranty?

ECU-MAN
21-08-2004, 09:35 PM
sounds like gear box problems to me. syncros could be rooted.

Weq
22-08-2004, 06:41 PM
firstly find out what weight is recommended for ur gearbox. dont just assume. wrong oil can lead to premature ware/crunching.
if all is good in the department, its ur synco's.

SIKCVC
22-08-2004, 06:44 PM
I've got a similar problem with my 5th, it grinds from 3rd or 4th when I shift at high RPM like 8000.

tinkerbell
22-08-2004, 07:07 PM
welcome to third gear crunch land...

home to most elderly Honda's

try using castrol Syntrax gearbox oil - it helps a bit ;)

ALLMTR
22-08-2004, 07:11 PM
Yep welcome hehehe

Mine had it from the start but got better with oil selection. I ran redline...

tinkerbell
22-08-2004, 07:14 PM
BTW - great to hear that you got it going :) congratulations!!!

Setanta
22-08-2004, 10:12 PM
Guys - it's not the gears, synchros or oil themselves, it's the shift forks and is a weakness in the Y1 & S1 boxes. Moppie (from Automotiveforums) had the exact issue with his import EF9 (in Kiwiland) and had to do a rebuild. I don't have the issue despite the fact my EF9 has twice the milage his did before it got totalled. Peter at Hanny's did my gearbox oilchanges - I think he used standard lubricants in the box so I have NFI. Then again, I have a feeling my car is an enigma in terms of longevity - the engine should have started to wear out @ 250K kms, but that was 26K kms ago and it's still going strong (for now).

Anyway - shift fork is the problem and it's an expensive resolution from what moppie told me.

egSi
23-08-2004, 07:38 AM
****, my Si does that too, hard changes 7k plus - they crunch, but i think i put hell shit oil in it.

im gonna get some synthetic hope that helps but i dunno...

tinkerbell
23-08-2004, 10:29 AM
Guys - it's not the gears, synchros or oil themselves, it's the shift forks and is a weakness in the Y1 & S1 boxes. Moppie (from Automotiveforums) had the exact issue with his import EF9 (in Kiwiland) and had to do a rebuild. I don't have the issue despite the fact my EF9 has twice the milage his did before it got totalled. Peter at Hanny's did my gearbox oilchanges - I think he used standard lubricants in the box so I have NFI. Then again, I have a feeling my car is an enigma in terms of longevity - the engine should have started to wear out @ 250K kms, but that was 26K kms ago and it's still going strong (for now).

Anyway - shift fork is the problem

just for my own info - if it is not the syncros - why does the crunch disappear when double clutching?

and why does it happen on both J1 and S1 trannies?

it is a Honda 3rd gear syncro problem, maybe AS WELL AS a fork problem...

Setanta
23-08-2004, 06:11 PM
Could be both - mine's just a (2nd hand) experiential guess ;) Dunno about the J1s, they are well outside my experience. I had the issue with an old SBC Civics box when I got power up to 130bhp+ (120 NA and then 130+ using a City Turbo motor) - switched to a 2nd gen gearbox (interchangable with the first gen 4 speed) and had no issues even after being thrashed... a lot. Havent had it as an issue with EDs or my EF either.

Stoopid Hondas :D

Weq
23-08-2004, 06:47 PM
ive heard of shift fork problems with eg box's before... few turbod's with em,.. not as popular as syncro problems though.. 3rd & 5ths...

JohnCRX
01-09-2004, 06:39 PM
Can you believe these guys who supplied the package?
I called them about the crunching; they said it was covered under warranty and they would repair it.
Well of course I pulled the tranny out and sent it straight to them, expecting to get new synchros, as you would.
Well stuff me, they pulled it appart alright, reported that the synchro ring was "glazed" for f***s sake. They put it back together and told me to use lighter oil like 50W, after I told them I was already using 15W40.

How's that for warranty?????????

Morons :(

ECU-MAN
01-09-2004, 09:31 PM
gee, did they try the wear and tear thing on you.

JohnCRX
01-09-2004, 09:51 PM
I really didn't expect them to take any notice at all, but then they tell me it's covered under warranty, and they'll fix it.
Would have preferred they told me to p.o. as I spent hours pulling it out, spent money on freight to Queensland just so they could tell me something I already knew..... but then didn't fix it.
No wonder they get a bad name.