PDA

View Full Version : quick question about konis

martin
17-01-2008, 11:43 AM
im just doing bit of research on these koni set ups and was just wondering say if i wanted to lower my euro 4.5in at the rear and 2.5in at the front which height springs would i go out and buy would i buy 3.5in lowered springs and height adjust it on the koni shock arm or would i just go and grab a set of 4.5in lowered springs and fit them??

if anyone can help then greatly appreciated
cheers

beeza
17-01-2008, 11:49 AM
That's a lot.I think U will need coil overs and roll your fenders.

martin
17-01-2008, 12:30 PM
nah ive heard of some ppl slamming it that low on konis but dont know what srings they run my fenders have been rolled back as well

SiReal
17-01-2008, 01:05 PM
perhaps try Ground Control coilver springs. Uses a eibach spring with tried and tested coilover sleeve system.. Approx ~$600 AUD from the states.
May I also add that you'll be hard pressed to find a spring that is premade to lower 4.5".

Unless you custom make it, i.e KMAC or whatever.

edit #2: I would get the 3.5" lowering first - that might already be low enough. If not, just change the shock circlip to the lower perch.

beeza
17-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Oh yeh,here they are Here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GROUND-CONTROL-COILOVER-SPRINGS-92-00-HONDA-CIVIC_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33582QQihZ010QQit emZ200190892683QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW) it says up to 3.5" lowering.
$455 US,which = $516.488 :)
Looks sweet!

martin
17-01-2008, 01:57 PM
perhaps try Ground Control coilver springs. Uses a eibach spring with tried and tested coilover sleeve system.. Approx ~$600 AUD from the states.
May I also add that you'll be hard pressed to find a spring that is premade to lower 4.5".

Unless you custom make it, i.e KMAC or whatever.

edit #2: I would get the 3.5" lowering first - that might already be low enough. If not, just change the shock circlip to the lower perch.

yeh thats what i was thinkn try to find a set of springs with about 3-3.5in lowering and try it on the konis if its not low yet then try adjusting it to the lowest setting.

say if i was too buy a set of 3.5in lowered springs would u know how low it would be once adjusted to lowest setting on the konis??

cheers mate

akusuma
17-01-2008, 02:53 PM
the koni yellows on EK:
Front - lower perch = about 25 mm lower
Rear - lower perch = about 15 mm lower

iced
17-01-2008, 03:30 PM
too lower buddy.
that drop is just silly

koni yellow cant handle 4inch drop.
youll murder the shocks.

1996ek1
17-01-2008, 06:09 PM
$455 US,which = $516.488 :)
Looks sweet!

$516.488 -> $516.49 -> $516.50 total ;)

beeza
17-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Glad we got that settled... :)
These springs look really good,just adjust the height until your happy where it sits.Like having coilovers but not.

martin
17-01-2008, 07:22 PM
yeh thanks for the replies, shuld be picking up the koni+eibach setup (cl9-k24a3) is selling he told me that if i look at the height his dropped it at now (on 19's sitting just above the tyre) i shuld be able to go lower by about 3 fingers so if it can go to around that height im happy.

martin
23-01-2008, 11:45 AM
would anyone know if it is safe to cut a new slit/groove on the shock arm? obviously not a home job but to get a proper susssy place to do it? any1 recommend any places?

SiReal
24-01-2008, 03:37 PM
yes it has been down before time and time again.. i havent done it myself but so long as the cut is within the surface, then its fine. ive been tempted to get it done myself but just havent had the courage to let someone potentially ruin my $1000 shocks.

beeza
24-01-2008, 03:44 PM
What does this achieve? plz :)

JohnL
24-01-2008, 04:21 PM
What does this achieve? plz :)

With Konis the lower spring perch is positioned and located with an external circlip that fits into a groove machined into the body of the damper. Koni provides two or three alternative grooves to allow for altertnative ride heights. Machining additional identical grooves allows more options for ride height.

I've heard of this being done a few times with Konis, with no adverse side affects reported. The usual caveats would apply, i.e. don't drop the ride height too low for the damper / spring combination etc. The additional grooves are machined into the damper by turning the damper in a reasonably large lathe. Any competent machinist should be able to do this reasonably cheaply. You'd probably want at least 4mm between any grooves for strength purposes.

beeza
24-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Wow,that's mad.That's ya want.

martin
24-01-2008, 10:01 PM
yes it has been down before time and time again.. i havent done it myself but so long as the cut is within the surface, then its fine. ive been tempted to get it done myself but just havent had the courage to let someone potentially ruin my $1000 shocks.

yeh thats what i was thinking but i guess if the person whos doing it actually knows what they're doing then it shuuld be alright..

which option would be best you guys reckon? to cut a new slit or to reset the springs? im using eibach pro kit.. also whole sale suspension quoted $120 to cut a new slit per 2 shocks so basically 60 bucks a shock..

hey johnL would u know or recommend any places who would be able to do it?

cheers

JohnL
25-01-2008, 07:28 AM
Not specifically, but like I said any competent machinist could do it, Yellow Pages are you friend. The damper must be properly trued in the lathe, and any new grooves the same depth and width as the existing ones. Not difficult, but if the grooves are cut too deep then the damper body will be weakened.

SiReal
25-01-2008, 01:22 PM
i wouldnt reset eibach springs, purely because they are a quality spring with awesome attributes from factory. if u want to reset springs, reset cheap, easily available springs like kings.

martin
25-01-2008, 05:22 PM
yeh probably be best not to reset them, oh well just gota wait till next week to get mah 20's and fit the sussy setup and see how low it can go....

zco
27-01-2008, 12:10 AM
the best option is the koni yellow combined with ground control coilover sleeves.. ask matt. he has them on his brothers integra.. i helped him out with that setup..

as for ride height, the best thing to do is contact the distributors, and tell them exactly what you want (how low or stiff you want it ) and they'll provide you with the best combo on spring rates and sizes.

matt got his setup brand new + delivered for 1100.

martin
27-01-2008, 10:33 PM
the best option is the koni yellow combined with ground control coilover sleeves.. ask matt. he has them on his brothers integra.. i helped him out with that setup..

as for ride height, the best thing to do is contact the distributors, and tell them exactly what you want (how low or stiff you want it ) and they'll provide you with the best combo on spring rates and sizes.

matt got his setup brand new + delivered for 1100.

so if i wanted i can call up who?? and ask how low or how stiff i wanted it? arent these items mainly from the states or is there a dirtibutor somewhere in australia?

but for $1100 brand new delivered cheap as chips

zco
28-01-2008, 12:13 AM
best time to call USa is about 6-10am
http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/contactForm.php

there is a distributor here, but you might aswell source them from the states. buying koni's here will cost 900-1000 already.. source from overseas will get it for about 650ish delivered

tell them you want it at "this high" and with "this spring rates"