PDA

View Full Version : Supercharged B16a

ADICTD2BASS
18-01-2008, 12:26 PM
Does anyone know how much is it to get a supercharger engineered in an EK4? what kinda times is it going to run on 8psi?

ADICTD2BASS
18-01-2008, 12:27 PM
in SYD

Redlinemotorsport
18-01-2008, 01:04 PM
Does anyone know how much is it to get a supercharger engineered in an EK4? what kinda times is it going to run on 8psi?

i am going to be putting a supercharger on my B16B,
the price for a jackson racing kit is anywhere from 3k up to however much u want to spend,
but thats just for the kit,
motor needs to be pulled out,
then put on,
then custom ECU to run it best.
expensive exercise.

BlitZ
18-01-2008, 01:51 PM
why would you need to pull motor out ? its not really worth while to do so.. just get turbo..

Limbo
18-01-2008, 01:59 PM
it sits on the bottom part of the engine, from what i've seen of the Jackson SC kits, so i'm assuming there is not enough space to work on it or bolt it on without taking the engine out.

Dunno i've always preferred turbos on high revving engines.

SC route has been done in US but there are not as many. Most are just turboed

Redlinemotorsport
18-01-2008, 02:03 PM
why would you need to pull motor out ? its not really worth while to do so.. just get turbo..

it sits underneathe the inlet manifold,
and yer,
no space to get everything right.

ADICTD2BASS
18-01-2008, 03:35 PM
The kit im getting is the $2995 with the 3 pulleys injectors and hondata computer... they said thats theyve done the install with a hoist and with the assist of an engine brace all of which i have... i dont want the turbo cause i mean the vtec and my stage 2 cams are enough for the top end i just wanted my car to have a bit more power getting up to 5500 and get a better launch, im going to leave internals standard for now with the 8 psi pully which jackson superchargers said is fine with stock internals, get the eng. cert like that then do the rebuild with forged internals and put the 12 psi pulley later on

b20b
18-01-2008, 05:05 PM
the jrsc kit comes emmissions tested in california ,,, they have a higher emmission standard then we do ....I think???,,,this might help it pass eng.

boosted_andy
19-01-2008, 06:53 PM
The kit im getting is the $2995 with the 3 pulleys injectors and hondata computer... they said thats theyve done the install with a hoist and with the assist of an engine brace all of which i have... i dont want the turbo cause i mean the vtec and my stage 2 cams are enough for the top end i just wanted my car to have a bit more power getting up to 5500 and get a better launch, im going to leave internals standard for now with the 8 psi pully which jackson superchargers said is fine with stock internals, get the eng. cert like that then do the rebuild with forged internals and put the 12 psi pulley later on

ur not gonna last too long with the standard internals mate, sorry

DreadAngel
19-01-2008, 08:57 PM
Jackson Racing kits using the lower psi pulley are used on standard internals... They run just fine...

Limbo
21-01-2008, 12:32 PM
most of the good brand kits are designed to run on stock internals. (Greddy, JC, and a few others) So long as you don't adjust it to more than what i comes with it should be fine

ADICTD2BASS
21-01-2008, 03:14 PM
Yeah like i said they said they were running them without ne problems on 8psi with stock internals but ill double check with them before i do it anyway

Zilli
21-01-2008, 03:40 PM
keep us in the loop if you do do it, ive been toying with this idea for a long time

Redlinemotorsport
22-01-2008, 08:49 AM
when are u going to do it?

Zilli
22-01-2008, 09:16 AM
just toying with it at the moment mate... but it would be interesting to get a first hand account of some of the difficutlies, challenges and results... so if you do do it soon then just keep this thread updated

kayot1k
22-01-2008, 11:11 AM

you know you've just contradicted yourself by saying you want to get a better launch with a SC on a FWD !.

if you really wanted to get to 5500 quicker you know there are other routes available without the expense of SC.
plus theres some nice heat issues with FI cars .

Limbo
22-01-2008, 12:44 PM
SC does launch better as they have instant boost on tap. I rem running a 4agze bloody quick on the take off.

Heat issues will always exist with any high modded car, just need a good oil cooler

ADICTD2BASS
23-01-2008, 12:43 PM
you know you've just contradicted yourself by saying you want to get a better launch with a SC on a FWD !.

if you really wanted to get to 5500 quicker you know there are other routes available without the expense of SC.
plus theres some nice heat issues with FI cars .

Please continue with the better launch explenation.

i could eighter raise the compresstion on the motor to get quicker acceleration, but to do that (properly) i would end up spending more money on the rebuild due to i wouldnt cut any corners( counterbalanced forged steel crank, h beams , some good raised top pistons shot peen, ported head and then i would have to get a hondata ecu to run it all and this makes it all the more pricey cause i dont have my own boring and honeing equipment so i cant do it myself to keep costs down.. and as limbo said with a good oil cooler and ill pick up a 3 row radiator the temps wouldnt be a problem, i do see where u are comming from you can do it for cheaper if i was going to rebuild the motor for high comp it would b alot more costly the way that i would do it

Limbo
24-01-2008, 10:39 AM
NA high powered engines are more costly than FI engines.
dollar for KW, FI will always be cheaper

Spicey
24-01-2008, 10:53 AM
Doesnt FI stand for Fuel Injection???

Do you mean Turbos Limbo?

Mr_will
24-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Doesnt FI stand for Fuel Injection???

Do you mean Turbos Limbo?

FI stands for forced induction.

dsp26
24-01-2008, 12:15 PM
depends with the whole launch thing...

With the stock 6psi Jackson Racing kit i don't see any issues with traction based on all the dyno graphs i've seen... and it depends on how you control clutch/accel on launch at the strip...

The vortech kit however... good luck with traction if you have shit tyres and you dump it... that will make for shit launch.

on another note, i had a gt starlet that ran a tiny ct9 turbo... this thing stock ate pulley upgraded 4agze's time and time again... different story after 100km/h though :p 7psi full boost on this tiny thing was achieved by around 2000-2500rpm and it barely made 100wkw at the dyno hehe

turbo setup will always be better.. it's about being smart with turbo choice for what you wan't... i would personally run a smaller turbo for my b16a if i could... however i'm also still eye-ing the jackson racing kit vs my NA build plans... but thats me.. i'm after midrange or possibly lowend... the B16 is starting to piss me off... makes me look like a hoon when i have to rev it to the **** just to get it moving especially on pacific highway going to central coast with all those uphills

dsp26
24-01-2008, 12:22 PM
hhmm... i just realised why small turbos aren't feasibly on Honda's.. they rev too high beyond peak efficiency and would kill small turbos hence why bigger turbos are used...

DreadAngel
24-01-2008, 09:37 PM
^^^^ Lol @ dsp26...

But seriously if you want to be different to others around go supercharged :) Don't care about the gains or the price (if you could lol) and just think of the way the supercharger deliverys instant torque and the whine if you like that XD

z3lda
24-01-2008, 10:44 PM
depends with the whole launch thing...

With the stock 6psi Jackson Racing kit i don't see any issues with traction based on all the dyno graphs i've seen... and it depends on how you control clutch/accel on launch at the strip...

The vortech kit however... good luck with traction if you have shit tyres and you dump it... that will make for shit launch.

on another note, i had a gt starlet that ran a tiny ct9 turbo... this thing stock ate pulley upgraded 4agze's time and time again... different story after 100km/h though :p 7psi full boost on this tiny thing was achieved by around 2000-2500rpm and it barely made 100wkw at the dyno hehe

turbo setup will always be better.. it's about being smart with turbo choice for what you wan't... i would personally run a smaller turbo for my b16a if i could... however i'm also still eye-ing the jackson racing kit vs my NA build plans... but thats me.. i'm after midrange or possibly lowend... the B16 is starting to piss me off... makes me look like a hoon when i have to rev it to the **** just to get it moving especially on pacific highway going to central coast with all those uphills

u my friend need more torque.

install a b20 bottom end and you wont look like a hoon no more.

easily over take whilst staying under 4k

dsp26
25-01-2008, 08:11 AM
yeah boys damn right need torque... thought lightweight flywheel would be enough... got rid of my loud muffler coz it added to the 'hoon' effect when revving...

Though i'm still doing research into feasibility of:
- B20 conversion kits and B20b block + studs + pistons + cost of engineering
- B18c2/7 block as no engineering (under 15% cc increase)
- Jackson Racing SC (watching 2nd hand kits on eBay)

The JRSC option WAS winning coz I was under the impression the JRSC kit was an easy bolt on coz it replaced the intake manifold... didn't realise it was an engine out job...

To the person wh posted that engine needed to be out... could i seriously not fit my hands underneath to do some bolting while someone was holding from the top?

Nepolian
28-01-2008, 08:24 AM
yeah boys damn right need torque... thought lightweight flywheel would be enough... got rid of my loud muffler coz it added to the 'hoon' effect when revving...

Though i'm still doing research into feasibility of:
- B20 conversion kits and B20b block + studs + pistons + cost of engineering
- B18c2/7 block as no engineering (under 15% cc increase)
- Jackson Racing SC (watching 2nd hand kits on eBay)

The JRSC option WAS winning coz I was under the impression the JRSC kit was an easy bolt on coz it replaced the intake manifold... didn't realise it was an engine out job...

To the person wh posted that engine needed to be out... could i seriously not fit my hands underneath to do some bolting while someone was holding from the top?

I have fitted one of these (JRSC) in a EK4. I can tell you that you do not need to take you engine out, not even close. It is a bit tight and some fiddling is needed. But not to the extent of pulling the engine out!

Driving the car with the supercharger is quite different to turbo. It just feels like there's a bigger engine in it, rather than boost like a turbo.

My2c

vinnY
28-01-2008, 11:07 PM
http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/jrsc/jrsc.php
no pulling motor out there

ADICTD2BASS
29-01-2008, 10:52 AM
you guys are all noobs. Im sorry but someone had to say it. Its just the blind leading the blind in here.

This thread is a specific thread about supercharging a B16a motor nothing else and any other information that can contribute to it being done, yes we all know that turboing is more efficient and creates more power but we want low to mid power increases and if you read properly i already have stage 2 cams so turboing the car would be compleetly impractible and undrivable.
so i think the real noob is you for not reading the thread properly and if u did than obviously u would have known with vtec kicking in at 5500 with stage 2 cams and also the turbo building up power the higher the revs are, the car would b looking for grip which is pointless cause u cant put more than 215's on an ek4, also i want to keep my a/c unit and most of the turbo kits out there dont permit that and as the car is a daily driver it comes in handy with the aussie summer, so for the purpose that the car is needed for supercharging is the perfect solution. practicality isnt a concept of being a noob and here has been no uneducated answers so far so ur the only one here that everyone thinks is a noob

Cheers everyone else for your help, alot of good info pooring in

aimre
30-01-2008, 08:58 PM
This thread is a specific thread about supercharging a B16a motor nothing else and any other information that can contribute to it being done, yes we all know that turboing is more efficient and creates more power but we want low to mid power increases and if you read properly i already have stage 2 cams so turboing the car would be compleetly impractible and undrivable.
so i think the real noob is you for not reading the thread properly and if u did than obviously u would have known with vtec kicking in at 5500 with stage 2 cams and also the turbo building up power the higher the revs are, the car would b looking for grip which is pointless cause u cant put more than 215's on an ek4, also i want to keep my a/c unit and most of the turbo kits out there dont permit that and as the car is a daily driver it comes in handy with the aussie summer, so for the purpose that the car is needed for supercharging is the perfect solution. practicality isnt a concept of being a noob and here has been no uneducated answers so far so ur the only one here that everyone thinks is a noob

Cheers everyone else for your help, alot of good info pooring in

Killer cams, undrivable. Lol, relax its just a b16.

ALOT of turbo kits DO infact let u keep ur A/C.

Just coz belts are spining the SC doesnt mean the things making any usable boost when idling or slightly above.

And there has been PLENTY of uneducated answers

fatboyz39
02-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Yeh as said earlier, a B20 bottom end would be ideal. Cops wouldnt know if its a 2.0l, all b-series look the same ...LOL.

trism
24-05-2008, 11:12 PM
sorry to bring an old thread back up but there isnt many floating around.

what about using a centrigual S/C setup rather than the rootes type that the jackson racing/greddy/SC12-14 style supercharger?

dsp26
25-05-2008, 03:16 AM
sorry to bring an old thread back up but there isnt many floating around.

what about using a centrigual S/C setup rather than the rootes type that the jackson racing/greddy/SC12-14 style supercharger?

there is one.. the Vortech Kit... costs way more than a turbo setup but the powerband is sooo much sweeter.

If you decide to custom make one be prepared to lose AC and/or PS as mounting locations...