PDA

View Full Version : 12v Source

nick_sixx
19-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Hey i know this is a total noob question, but whats the easiest 12v source to plug into, so i can install a volt gauge?

teh_mechanic
19-01-2008, 11:43 AM
if you dont wanna cut wires or anything,there is a spare accessory power socket in the fuse box.otherwise get a test light and use it to find a wire that only gets power when accessory power is on (1 turn of your key in the ignition,so the radio etc. is working but the dash lights arnt on yet) and connect your gauge to that wire.accessory power wires will still be getting power when your car is running

search for 'gauge install' or something and you might find a picture of the socket in the fuse box if you dont have a test light (can get them from super cheap for like $10 at supercheap auto,really handy for all electrical problems in car,lets you see where electricity is flowing)

nick_sixx
19-01-2008, 12:39 PM
yeah i only have like male spade connectors, so i connected it to my cigarette lighter which has a light, power and ground, which is handy, but yeah now the gauge just tells me i have constant 8 volts, and doesnt move, even when i turn like stero, headlights, air con etc etc on

destrukshn
19-01-2008, 01:20 PM
your probably not grounded correctly, or that wire does not carry enough current, or not connected correctly as well.
another possibility, your gauge is ****ed
lol.

nick_sixx
19-01-2008, 03:10 PM
ok i finally got it, i thought one of the wires was black with a red strip (as there was a black to red ratio of 3:1), but in the diagram it was labelled as red with black strip, obviously meaning it was a power wire :) so i just plugged it in along with the other one and presto im in action