PDA

View Full Version : Lowering an accord with king springs?

viperx
22-08-2004, 06:42 PM
Hey guys, I'm lookin at getting some springs myself... friend of mine whos a mechanic says he can get some king springs fitted for around $350 ($200 parts).. is that a good price...

anyone got any good experiences from king springs? I'm lookin at only a drop of 1" to 1.5"... i went to the kings website and I found only the "low" catagory on the catalogue.. the model numbers are KHFL-60 (front) and KHRL-61 (back)... does anyone noe how much these drop...

Any comments on ride quality (important) appreciated... i'm lookin at keeping my old shocks (so wear and tear on shocks also important)

Also, i'm a suspension newbie :) can anyone tell me what exactly I have to watch out for, cuz the guy said the mechanic who does them just does them at his own place or somethin. Do I need a wheel alignment after... etc. If someone could outline the whole process for me it would be cool.

Cheers all for reading my long winded message!! :)

J_Mech
22-08-2004, 09:27 PM
Im not sure about king springs, I havent had experience in them, others might know.

A good spring design will give you a lowered ride height while still holding the spring captive throughout the suspension travel, that is if you jack your car up the springs wont be loose and rattling around, this happens when springs are just shortened with a stiffer rate, it sounds horrible when going over bumps and holes if theyre loose.

Springs and dampers effect your ride quality the most, but you have little choice if your interested in lowering the car for looks. Installing lower/stiffer springs will give you a lower damping ratio with standard dampers, so you might experience a bit more bounciness.

You'll probably find you'll need some kind of adjustment as the front and back will have a bit more negative camber than before, if its adjustable on the car you can fix this, if not you'll need to get some camber kit for the car if available or just live with a bit more tyre wear. Depending on your bump steer characteristics you may need to adjust toe in/out slightly after lowering.

J_Mech