PDA

View Full Version : no spark, trying ICM in DIY...any other ideas?

Nav2k
20-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Hi All,

car is a 94 honda accord, the non vtec ones.
Replaced spark plugs yesterday and pulled one out while the car was running (2nd from lft to right). the car suddenty stopped...
couldn't get it to start afterwards.

found out that theres no spark in any of them.

Pulled distributor cap off, found a lot of corrosion around...sanded a bit out...then did a search on the forums. now im gonna try this ICM test for the coils..
its not my car but a friends, pretty sure its not immobiliser or anything like that..
But basically if theres power i nthe ICM and no resistance in the coils then it's the coil right? if the coils all fine...could be some sort of immobiliser or something?

checked things like fuses etc. all seem fine.

does anyone know what could have happened? why the engine cut off when the spark plug was removed? i thought it would just shutter and everything and run crap on 3 cylinders.

any help is appreciated :)

bennjamin
20-01-2008, 01:43 PM
why did u pull a lead out while the car was running ?
IMO since its old internals , the extra load might of fried the internal coil.
Time for a new one IMO

Nav2k
20-01-2008, 02:41 PM
OK thanks, coil test will reveal that right?

Thanks for your help

VTEC@14.7psi
20-01-2008, 07:49 PM
coil test has to be "under load" - in my civic a lead once popped off th distributor (duno how mayb vibration) n the engine stoped, tested the coil with multimeter but seemed fine, replaced ICM but didn fix it/waste o money.. took it to mechanic and che it was the coil.. but had to test it "under load" not sure how that would be done but im guessing it means it cant reach the voltage for the spark... ? hope that helps/ ur situation sounds similar to wat mine waz ;)

panda[cRx]
20-01-2008, 09:05 PM
why did you remove a spark plug with the engine running?

Nav2k
21-01-2008, 09:43 PM
it wasn't in properly and i went to push it back in and it wiggled a bit lose. there was a shitload of oil in there before hand...turned out to be rocker cover gasket not tight.

coil test worked out fine...maybe ur right it needs to be under load. taking it to a dizzy place tomorow anyway see what they say.

thanks for ur help so far.

bennjamin
21-01-2008, 09:57 PM
"load" = very relevant. A failing coil will still fire but under "load" ( IE heat) will often break the circuit and seperate. If you have a friend with the same car , try to borrow their dizzy and see if you get the same problem.

JohnL
21-01-2008, 10:03 PM
;1508732']why did you remove a spark plug with the engine running?

One reason might be that it's a means of finding which cylinder isn't firing if you have a misfire at idle.

ECU-MAN
23-01-2008, 12:00 PM
by removing a lead while the engine is runing you fritz the coil and if you are unlucky maybe even the ICM.

good luck

JohnL
23-01-2008, 09:54 PM
I didn't say it was a good idea, there is at least some risk of damage. The trick is to make sure you ground the lead immediately you pull it off, though you're bound to miss at least some sparkings.