PDA

View Full Version : Uneven lowered height

spacepants_fb
22-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Hi everyone. I've bought an eg that has been lowered with lovell springs. The funny thing is, the front seems to be lower than the rear. The front has a half finger gap from the wheel arch to the actual tyre, where as the rear has about a 1/1/2 to 2 finger gap from tyre to wheel arch. Is this normal and if so, what are my options to even out the ride height (so that the rear is at 1/2 finger gap also)? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Riced_Civic
22-01-2008, 03:07 PM
get lower springs at the back

bennjamin
22-01-2008, 06:49 PM
Hopefully the next set will be more "consistant" in drop Mr spacepants :)

BTW cars should always be alittle lower at the front than the rear ~ its pretty normal on aftermarket springs

JohnL
22-01-2008, 07:25 PM
You could take out the rubber spring cushions in the rear struts, give you roughly a 1cm drop, at the possible expense of a slight increase in harshness.

Personally I quite like the look of a slightly lower front than rear ride height, and in theory having the rear a little higher creates a tad more weight transfer at the rear reducing understeer a weeny bit. Also in theory it reduces lift, to a tiny degree at speeds you shouldn't be driving at!

[ricer]
22-01-2008, 07:47 PM
id be worried if the left and right sides of the car werent the same lol

front and back is okay... unless its like stupid low at the front or back and raised at the other end..

VTi_b0i
22-01-2008, 07:53 PM
my car used to be like that b4 i got my coilovers... it handled great but everytime i looked at it i hated it lol

SeverAMV
24-01-2008, 12:23 AM
You could take out the rubber spring cushions in the rear struts, give you roughly a 1cm drop, at the possible expense of a slight increase in harshness.

Personally I quite like the look of a slightly lower front than rear ride height, and in theory having the rear a little higher creates a tad more weight transfer at the rear reducing understeer a weeny bit. Also in theory it reduces lift, to a tiny degree at speeds you shouldn't be driving at!

wouldnt it be slightly less weight transfer because more of the weight would be shifted to the front (if you have a high rear), resulting in less of the weight shifting to the full rear under acceleration?

it doesnt matter too much if your front is lower than your rear, should actually make it steer slightly better. but if your left is lower than your right or vice versa, get it fixed.

spacepants_fb
24-01-2008, 08:08 AM
Yeah it's just that everytime I look at it...the unevenness is a bit off-putting. Had the same problem with my ek before i put my coilovers. I may gett the springs at the back re-set at ozzytyres for now just to even out the height.

spacepants_fb
24-01-2008, 08:09 AM
oh and a totally unrelated question, can king springs that are fitted on ek1 shocks be fitted on eg shocks?

JohnL
24-01-2008, 09:15 AM
wouldnt it be slightly less weight transfer because more of the weight would be shifted to the front (if you have a high rear), resulting in less of the weight shifting to the full rear under acceleration?

Raising either the front or rear does in theory alter the static front / rear weight distribution, but even with quite a substantial change in height at either end any change in static weight distribution will be absolutely minimal. However, the afect on weight transfer of raising mass will be greater than the affect on static weight distribution.

Raising or lowering any part of the car will affect longitudinal weight transfer under acceleration or braking because raising or lowering any part of the car will alter the CG height. Raising the front or rear will increase lateral weight transfer for the same reason.

Raising say the rear may increase lateral weight transfer at the rear more so than at the front because the sprung mass at the rear has been raised more than it has been raised at the front, keeping in mind that if we raise the rear then any mass behind the front alxe line will also be raised to an increasing degree as we move from the front to the rear, and any mass in front of the front axle line will actually lower slightly. The degree to which a 1cm drop would afect things is pretty minimal.

aaronng
24-01-2008, 10:30 AM
Measure the height at the 4 corner jackpoints near the wheels. The height of the wheelarch depends on how well aligned the panels are (which is usually not good if it has had a repair before)

philmak
24-01-2008, 11:12 PM
The reason its lower at the front is because of the engine up there lol

dupac->
24-01-2008, 11:35 PM
fernando. ur such a noob..
lol

my springs were liek that too .. gave me the shits. so got coils
lol

seems normal..

looking at the title i thought u meant left and right uneven
not front and back.

integra95
25-01-2008, 06:48 AM
just tell people that u have bags and thats how u like to drive it :thumbsup:.... reverse gangsta honda style lol

SeverAMV
25-01-2008, 08:58 AM
The reason its lower at the front is because of the engine up there lol

most 'performance' type springs tend to have lower spring rate springs for the rear so it compresses more under the weight of the car, so if it were a decent set, it should still match the height of the front, even with the engine at the front. im just assuming that the springs in question arent a performance brand.

supride
03-02-2008, 08:48 PM
show us the EG u bought plz!!!

spacepants_fb
03-02-2008, 09:03 PM
hahahaha...hey dude, pics will be up soon, when I have had a chance to take photos of it. :)

Limbo
03-02-2008, 09:35 PM
RODFL that's what i thought too!

Its normal for the front to be lower than the rear!
It helps with handling & traction

fernando. ur such a noob..
lol

my springs were liek that too .. gave me the shits. so got coils
lol

seems normal..

looking at the title i thought u meant left and right uneven
not front and back.