PDA

View Full Version : big tow?

b00std
22-01-2008, 12:08 PM
ive got a 04 auto euro..

wondering if anyone has towed to the 1200kg maximum weight or close to? ive got to pick up a car from there which would weigh 750ish kg plus the weight of the car trailer 400ish kg..
if i fitted a big tranny cooler would i be right?
it will be mostly highway driving from sydney to south qld..

yfin
22-01-2008, 04:12 PM
If the trailer is braked you should be alright. Just be aware that if you exceed the 1200kg and have an accident during the trip - your insurance claim may be denied.

teh_mechanic
22-01-2008, 04:31 PM
yeah its the brakes and auto that will suffer the most.highway driving isnt that bad for it,its more putting the auto under load like trying to accelerate up a hill or something that strains it,so try and pick speed up before you get to the hills, and dont attempt any big hill declines or you will meet your enemy, brake fade.

by putting 1200 as the maximum weight they would of tested 1200kg being towed and found it to be satisfactory,as in it was safe on normal roads and didnt fatigue parts too much

Suntzu
22-01-2008, 09:28 PM
I think the max tow of the Euro on an unbraked trailer is only 500kgs, my new CRV is rated only 600kg unbraked. see kinda low given the weight of the vehicles and the normal 750 kg limit for most cars unbraked.

That being said i think even with brakes your on the edge towing 1200kg. Thats a lot for a small car.

tony1234
23-01-2008, 07:35 AM
If you're going to be towing regularly definitely get a transmission cooler,it's a good investment.If not just change the trans fluid when you get home after the trip.

tron07
23-01-2008, 09:49 AM
wouldnt it be easier to get some movers move the car over?

Suntzu
23-01-2008, 09:55 AM
Yeah your probably looking at only $200-$300 to get it picked up and delivered ( i used to work for a car carrying company)

It depends on the location though.

Tobster
23-01-2008, 12:53 PM
You'll probably tow it OK. Most of the work is done in just moving off, so as long as you drive sensibly and don't try to brake suddenly, it should be fine.

I have a manual Euro. I've towed probably about 800 kg with it without a problem.

I towed a Charade on a car trailer with my TF Magna -- which while it was a 3 l V6, it was 140 kw and 255 Nm with a towing max of 1500 kg -- the bit more torque helped. Having said that, I did once tow a load that was probably closer to 2000 kg with it -- but not for a long distance!

Slow and steady is the key.

I don't think you'll have too many problems...

EUR003act
23-01-2008, 06:46 PM
DUDE BE CAREFUL!

suntzu is right!!! unbraked the max is 500kg... braked is 1200kg... i got tow ball fitted on my euro, i just ran out and checked mod plate...

1200 is nearly doubling the cars weight, the brakes arent made to handle that! especially when 1.2tonne would be pushing the rear sideways as you go around corners under brakes :(

Tobster
24-01-2008, 08:29 AM
DUDE BE CAREFUL!

suntzu is right!!! unbraked the max is 500kg... braked is 1200kg... i got tow ball fitted on my euro, i just ran out and checked mod plate...

1200 is nearly doubling the cars weight, the brakes arent made to handle that! especially when 1.2tonne would be pushing the rear sideways as you go around corners under brakes :(

The Euro's brake discs are much bigger than many other cars -- even recent model Falcons and Commodores which have a much bigger curb weight (and interestingly I think it was the auto Falcon that wouldn't fit a greater than 1200 kg tow pack!). Those factors are taken into account when working out max tow loads!

And you don't go around corners under brakes when towing a trailer! Good drivers won't do that even without a trailer! You brake before and accelerate around the corner...

You don't drive a car with a load the same as you do normally -- the weight is all in different spots, you have much greater momentum, you need to take account of the height of the load, etc. You certainly don't do things like brake at the last moment, as somebody I know did -- in my old car -- and had the Magna understeering into a roundabout. You take off slowly, you brake in LOTS of time, you stick to the speed limit or travel UNDER it and let (even assist) people go around you.

Unless you tow reasonably regularly, don't warn others about it because you have no idea about the reality.

(Interestingly I just read a comment about trailers and small cars at Autospeed:
http://blog.autospeed.com/2008/01/22/trailers-that-drink-fuel )

Suntzu
24-01-2008, 08:43 AM
Yes but dont forget that the extra curb weight of a falcodore, probably at least another 200kg over a Euro, actually helps when you tow as the percentage of mass over the load mass is higher than it would be in a euro.

Does anyone know how much the tow pack of the Euro weighs? Do you need to get a Honda one? I have a tow bar on my new CRV but not on the euro as I am concerned about total weight of my Kart Trailer with my rotax 125 and parts. I think its about 600kgs which puts be over on the euro. Im not worried about brakes and power just legality. The CRV has enough power (juuuust) and brakes to pull it so the euro will.

Tobster
24-01-2008, 01:07 PM
Yes but dont forget that the extra curb weight of a falcodore, probably at least another 200kg over a Euro, actually helps when you tow as the percentage of mass over the load mass is higher than it would be in a euro.

Yes, but the smaller brakes still have to stop all that greater mass which is what I was trying to get at.

No, you don't need a Honda one. It doesn't weigh much; I would guess about 30-40 kg.

If the trailer needed to be braked, then I presume it would be made so. Honda specifies 500 kg unbraked. Local laws for unbraked trailers vary; some specify up to 700 kg is OK -- depending on manufacturer's specs.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about towing 600 kg.

Is your CRV just a 2 litre? The 2.4 CRV (I have the last of the Gen 2s as well as the Euro) makes less power and marginally less torque than the Euro, but peak torque is lower in the rev range. Both are manuals and I have no problems towing 800+ kg with either car.

aaronng
24-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Get a braked trailer. It would be cheaper to get the car shipped since you'll be consuming a lot of fuel when towing (and you'll be on the pacific highway alot, which is not a freeway). The only downside about shipping is that you have to remove most of the fuel from the car. Both methods risk damage to your car, so don't use that excuse for not using a shipping company.

Drive slower, brake earlier and be aware of your limitations. If you drive your car as if it had no brakes, then it should be ok.

EUR003act
24-01-2008, 07:10 PM
The Euro's brake discs are much bigger than many other cars -- even recent model Falcons and Commodores which have a much bigger curb weight (and interestingly I think it was the auto Falcon that wouldn't fit a greater than 1200 kg tow pack!). Those factors are taken into account when working out max tow loads!

And you don't go around corners under brakes when towing a trailer! Good drivers won't do that even without a trailer! You brake before and accelerate around the corner...

You don't drive a car with a load the same as you do normally -- the weight is all in different spots, you have much greater momentum, you need to take account of the height of the load, etc. You certainly don't do things like brake at the last moment, as somebody I know did -- in my old car -- and had the Magna understeering into a roundabout. You take off slowly, you brake in LOTS of time, you stick to the speed limit or travel UNDER it and let (even assist) people go around you.

Unless you tow reasonably regularly, don't warn others about it because you have no idea about the reality.

(Interestingly I just read a comment about trailers and small cars at Autospeed:
http://blog.autospeed.com/2008/01/22/trailers-that-drink-fuel )

i was talking about more than doubling the safe recommended unbraked towing load... yes those specs are given with a safety margin... but more than doubling? dude, anyone who knows anything about anything would know thats stupid...

as for braking thru corners... what if he doesnt judge the speed for a corner correctly because he's never driven that road before (he is moving remember) has to slow during the corner, uses the brakes, and look trailer pushes car sideways.... ever riden a bike while towing someone on roller blades holding onto a rope behind u? you turn the corner, they go straight, u get riped off your bike... now when ur talking about 1.4tonne of car and 1.2tonne of trailer getting riped sideways, we're not just talking about a few bruises or a scrapped knee, your talking possibly killing someone...

towing is a very serious business, state law states maximum of 750kg unbraked, or vehicles maximum rating if less then 750... my ex girlfriends brother was killed when a hilux towing a heavy trailer unbraked didnt have time to stop at traffic lights (the weight of the trailer pushed the car into the intersection) , the car slammed into the driver door. so i dont take people purposely disobeying safety lightly, especially when its that far out of specs!

Tobster
25-01-2008, 01:04 PM
i was talking about more than doubling the safe recommended unbraked towing load... yes those specs are given with a safety margin... but more than doubling? dude, anyone who knows anything about anything would know thats stupid...

I agree. I would never attempt to tow 1200 kg unbraked. I think I've been misunderstood. I was merely talking about the car's ability to tow the load -- which some people have been suggesting that the car wouldn't be able to do because of lack of power and insufficient brakes.