PDA

View Full Version : Sway bars

BE-53-RS
22-01-2008, 02:46 PM
He iv converted my ek1 cxi civic to a b-series but i dont have any sway bars or anything will i need these to prenvent causing any damage to the chassis or am i looking at this wrong??

I will be gettin a front strut bar and lower tie bar so would that be enough or not??

Thanks

beeza
22-01-2008, 03:27 PM
As far as I know you won't cause any damage but fitting swaybars is something you should definately do anyways.

JohnL
22-01-2008, 07:35 PM
I don't what the stock set ups on these cars may be, but on a FWD car a rear ARB is a necessity for good handling and corner exit grip at the inside front wheel, if not you'll have too much understeer and easily spin the IF. Strut bars are good, you ought to get a rear one as well since the rear of the chassis is likely less rigid than the front is. Only use good quality strut bars with robust attachment brackets, many strut bar attachment brackets are too weak and allow flex, defeating the purpose of the bar.

beeza
22-01-2008, 08:03 PM
John,what is a 'ARB' and when U say 'easily spin the IF',what is the IF plz :)

T-onedc2
22-01-2008, 09:10 PM
ARB = Anti Roll Bar/Sway Bar
IF = Inside front (wheel)

Limbo
22-01-2008, 09:25 PM
yeah rear sway is always good

beeza
22-01-2008, 09:29 PM
ARB = Anti Roll Bar/Sway Bar
IF = Inside front (wheel)

Thanks mate :thumbsup:

rk 86 wa
22-01-2008, 11:18 PM
hmm are you asking if putting a sway bar in after the engine swap will reinforce the chassis preventing damage to compensate for the increase in power?

i always thought that the only real way to reinforce a chassis was to spot weld a it (obviously this is a hardcore thing and not saying you should) in my opinion i dont think a b series conversion on a ek1 and hard driving will cause much structural damage to it anyway. sway bars would just prevent body roll

thats my 2 cents anyway :P there are a lot more helpful ppl on here haha

dupac->
22-01-2008, 11:26 PM
it wont damage anything without the sway bars n stuff.

you look at sway bars n shit for better handling. not to prevent damage.

if you're looking at upgrading to 22mm sways you could probably do more damage to the subframe if you dont have any reinforcement for the subframe, ie beaks kit or asr brace.

but struts sways ties only help improve handling and driver comfort.
everyone seems to be going off topic. lol.

dupac->
22-01-2008, 11:32 PM
you're not gonna get crazy chassis twist coz u swapped to a b series if thats what ur thinking..

but if you really wanna put the power to the floor when it comes to corners n stuff then upgrade rear sways struts n so on imo. play around with the sussy.

what b series u got in there?

nd55
24-01-2008, 03:52 PM
perhaps you meant fitting a large rear sway bay?

Then, definitely, you'll need a rear subframe brace.

ASR :thumbsup:

Whiteline to support a local suspension house. A bit of controversy here, but hey, good people who have supported this form in the past.

Do some research.

Nick.

WPN.22R
24-01-2008, 04:17 PM
i can get swaybars for you if you need. PM for more details if you like.

Limbo
27-01-2008, 09:32 AM
have a look at the Type Rs.
The have all the braces to handle with the power.
That should give you an indication as to what is needed.
Rem Honda do alot of R&D and if a stock Type R needs it just think how much improvement you will get.

ALso if your not happy with the bits you can always sell them as people are always buying them

BE-53-RS
27-01-2008, 09:40 AM
Thanks every1 i think i got the info i need now!!

JohnL
27-01-2008, 01:49 PM
have a look at the Type Rs.
The have all the braces to handle with the power.
That should give you an indication as to what is needed.
Rem Honda do alot of R&D and if a stock Type R needs it just think how much improvement you will get.

The rear strut bar in particular will assist in getting power down exiting the corners by reducing front weight transfer (as will a stiffer rear ARB). Other than that the benefits of strut bars (front and rear) are more to with making the chassis more responsive and to allow the chosen suspension settings to work as intended with less 'interference' from chassis flexure.

T-onedc2
28-01-2008, 12:44 AM
yeah as JohnL said ^^^ and in particular the rear strut brace made the most noticable difference in reducing chassis flex in my car and improved the ride quality immensely now that the suspension is doing more of the flexing.

beeza
28-01-2008, 09:10 AM
Is this the upper strut bar?

T-onedc2
28-01-2008, 09:19 AM
Is this the upper strut bar?
oh sorry, yes

beeza
28-01-2008, 09:24 AM
I always thought that that strut bar does a lot.I have seen pitchures where the bar has a big bend in it.Like a slight U shape,bending down.I mean that was a cheap ebay knock off bar but it showed how much stress it puts on that particular bar.