PDA

View Full Version : B16a help

ef-civic
23-01-2008, 07:03 PM
hey just recently bought a EG with jap spec b16a in it.. i noticed when it hits vtec.. thats all sweet but during it.. its like its popping.. or missing ?? not sure exactly what its doing.. engine mods are: stage 2 cams and whale dick air filter.. it has stock extractors and also stock SI exhaust.. could it maybe be too small for the motor ??

tekung89
23-01-2008, 08:02 PM
i noticed that too man, :P good run but i had too much luggage in the car. wait for my new motor :D love ur car man its sexy, hope u have more fun with them headers

teh_mechanic
23-01-2008, 08:25 PM
i had this problem in my b16 eg after i installed the new engine (dont know if it was doing it for the previous owner or not)

the tacho was also going crazy when it was popping/missing.turned out it was missing at high rpm (the popping sound),i figured it would be something to do with the spark breaking down under load.changed the coil,problem was still there.changed the Ignition Control Module in the dizzy PROBLEM SOLVED!!! car ran fine after changing the ICM

Cost me $110 for the module from an aftermarket auto electrics company.its a little module about the size of a large stamp,has 3 connectors on 1 side and 1 connector on another side.there are 2 different ones for the b16,one is brown (mine) and the other is black i think (obviously they are different internally,not just the colour)id say this is your problem

ef-civic
23-01-2008, 09:32 PM
you wanna check it out for me ?? if thats the problem.. cause its also had a engine transplant.. but shit thats alrite. 110.. is it hard to fix ??

teh_mechanic
23-01-2008, 09:49 PM
no problem helping you out,only thing is it cant really be checked,theres a thread in the diy to test your icm,but i think it pretty much gives a test for your coil then says if the coil passes you probably need to change icm.

like i said it fixed my b16 high rpm misfire.its not hard to fix.take dizzy cap off,turn the engine over a lil until you can see the screw that holds the rotor button in (you can only see it at 1 point of the rotating rotor button)unscrew that (hold a magnet to the screwdriver if you have one,helps you not drop the screw)take rotor button off,this then allows you to get the internal dizzy cover off.under there you will see the internals of the dizzy (coil,icm etc) look for the icm (i cant find a pic at the moment)see if it is brown or another colour, take it out to get the model number off it to make sure you get the right one,also get the model number of your dizzy.then its a matter of getting the part,swapping it over and trying it out