PDA

View Full Version : Civic FD Most Expensive Small car on the market to repair

danny_mart
24-01-2008, 06:28 PM
anyone watch current affair with repairs to front bumper crashes..
civic fd wins most expensive with 7grand
compared to astra 2 grand

bennjamin
24-01-2008, 06:32 PM
so ? if you are in a bingle you should have insurance ~ which will be only your EXCESS payment and very similar regardless the car you drive :)

destrukshn
24-01-2008, 06:50 PM
well what if you have only 3rd party?
anyways, it's not about insurance, his just pointing out the cost of it.
what parts where replaced though?

NeoNode
24-01-2008, 07:29 PM
And I bet people will still have the train of through that, european cars would be more expensive to repair :p

danny_mart
24-01-2008, 08:10 PM
well pretty much they just had a ramp and rolled all the cars on the market down it into a bumper...
they tested cars such as
mazda 3, ford focus, holden astra ect..
the civic came out about triple the price of everything else haha..
other cars hardly got a scratch and the civic smashed in all it headlights and front bumper...
o well i still love my civic

xqwzit
24-01-2008, 10:48 PM
lol... thailand ftw?

Shimian
24-01-2008, 11:01 PM
i just saw that on channel 9 news. Thats scary.

match
25-01-2008, 03:05 AM
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23103067-29277,00.html

ib3nji
25-01-2008, 07:21 AM
I saw this story does this apply to like crashes or is it also saying if you need to do a regular service say at 100,000KM for example it will be very expensive?

Mingy
25-01-2008, 08:51 AM
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23103067-29277,00.html

I think the title should be "If you must crash, make sure your civic is in front".

denot
25-01-2008, 09:09 AM
I think the title should be "If you must crash, make sure your civic is in front".

hahaha THATS MY CIVIC mingy!!!! I got hit 3 times from the back already...

1st one on a picnic trip (4 days after purchased!!!), hit by my friends corrola
2nd on the way to work by a 80ish magna (2 weeks after the 1st hit)
3rd when I parked near the office (went back after work and see two "big" scratches on the bumper)

T-T

1st two has been deal with comp insurance, the third one... I'll think about it later... T-T

tseesinngwailo
25-01-2008, 09:41 AM
surely this would have something to do with the way the car is designed to absorb the impact and dissipate the energy? or is it just badly made? I would love to upgrade the wifes car, but this would make me think, insurance or not

fasthonda
25-01-2008, 09:45 AM
lol... thailand ftw?

The Japanese made Type R would also suffer the same damage.

Mingy
25-01-2008, 09:52 AM
hahaha THATS MY CIVIC mingy!!!! I got hit 3 times from the back already...

1st one on a picnic trip (4 days after purchased!!!), hit by my friends corrola
2nd on the way to work by a 80ish magna (2 weeks after the 1st hit)
3rd when I parked near the office (went back after work and see two "big" scratches on the bumper)

T-T

1st two has been deal with comp insurance, the third one... I'll think about it later... T-T

LOL same here. although i only had 2 accidents. 1st one some guy hit me from behind. 2nd one, someone reversed into my front bumpers. i didn't catch who it was.

denot
25-01-2008, 12:15 PM
LOL same here. although i only had 2 accidents. 1st one some guy hit me from behind. 2nd one, someone reversed into my front bumpers. i didn't catch who it was.

oh, now i remeber!! sum1 did reverse and smash my number plates holder (the glassy-plastic one) before... lucky he/she didnt touch my car

btw mingy! nice siggy there :p

gerard
26-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Good excuse for Mr Insurance to up the rates

JaCe
26-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Good excuse for Mr Insurance to up the rates

That's what I was worried about when I read the article in Friday's DRIVE.

Shimian
26-01-2008, 05:08 PM
LOL, and now we're gonna see lots of FS Civic FD ads in the papers :p

dmx
26-01-2008, 05:33 PM
damn...that's $7000 not include my fog lights + front bodykit + type-r grille (coming soon). would end up to $9000 i reckon :(
no wonder when i tried to get online quote from allianz, the result was they can't accepted due to high cost of mine accesories..LOL

JaCe
26-01-2008, 10:58 PM
damn...that's $7000 not include my fog lights + front bodykit + type-r grille (coming soon). would end up to $9000 i reckon :(
no wonder when i tried to get online quote from allianz, the result was they can't accepted due to high cost of mine accesories..LOL

TBH it's not worth insuring accessories especially since they deteriorate/depreciate/etc... and make you look like some kind of "badass modifier" in the eyes of the insurer both now and in the future... but that's just my thoughts.

Shimian
26-01-2008, 11:07 PM
I insured everything. Even to my scuff plates. Price didnt even go up $1 compared to stock. Weird. So why not. Im with RACV btw. Gonna call them up to insure headlamps. Hopefully itll be given free :p

JaCe
26-01-2008, 11:25 PM
I insured everything. Even to my scuff plates. Price didnt even go up $1 compared to stock. Weird. So why not. Im with RACV btw. Gonna call them up to insure headlamps. Hopefully itll be given free :p

Aren't you an 18-25y/o male? That makes you prime candidate for high premiums.. unless they already factor all that into it lol.

Aco3n
27-01-2008, 12:46 AM
I'm with ING, and "certain" modification will cost you another 25% loading. The worst part is for the excess, which is doubled.

but hey.. it's better than nothing..

dmx
27-01-2008, 04:48 AM
TBH it's not worth insuring accessories especially since they deteriorate/depreciate/etc... and make you look like some kind of "badass modifier" in the eyes of the insurer both now and in the future... but that's just my thoughts.

NRMA not charged extra for all my accs, same excess fee, 65% disc rating, so why not ?
i think u have to add all ur accs into ur insurance, otherwise if got accident, who gonna pay for ur $600 fog lights ? ur mom ?

xqwzit
27-01-2008, 05:21 AM
yeah why not if the premium doesnt go up, might as well...
all the accessories adds up to $$ still..

conroe
27-01-2008, 06:27 AM
The reason why this car is so expensive to repair because of the low bonnet.

It gets damaged easily even in the low speed impact.

Riviera
27-01-2008, 08:46 AM
Heres the link to the article, well part of im sure its all there

http://www.caradvice.com.au/9783/smash-repair-costs-study/

Shimian
27-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Aren't you an 18-25y/o male? That makes you prime candidate for high premiums.. unless they already factor all that into it lol.

Ive been there and done that :P

Hacs
27-01-2008, 12:55 PM
So.. as a conclusion, would you guys argue that due to the high costs of repairing an FD - in the event of an accident - is enough reason to steer away and select another car model ?

I need some feedback because I'm considering purchasing the FD some time next month. What are other main pro's and con's ?

sKy.xD
27-01-2008, 02:26 PM
to think the civic won that 2007 award :O

conroe
27-01-2008, 02:49 PM
So.. as a conclusion, would you guys argue that due to the high costs of repairing an FD - in the event of an accident - is enough reason to steer away and select another car model ?

I need some feedback because I'm considering purchasing the FD some time next month. What are other main pro's and con's ?

To put this into perspective, if you were looking to buy a Porsche or even a Ferrari. And you know they get damaged easily and pretty expensive to repair. Would that be enough to stir you away?

I think many people buy using their emotion rather than using their head. Because if they do then they'd all be driving Toyotas.

Shimian
27-01-2008, 02:50 PM

For me, i dont look at it from that perspective. I buy the car because i love the look and feel.

Hacs
27-01-2008, 02:58 PM
For me, i dont look at it from that perspective. I buy the car because i love the look and feel.

agreed :)

dmx
27-01-2008, 04:16 PM

don't worry mate. if insured ur car, everthing no problems. ur problems only pay $500 excess;), that's $7000 cost is insurance company's probs:D
just list all ur mods to the company, the issue is, not because get replace or not, but lets say, u put 18" new rims and NOT disclose to ur insurance.
Next time, when accident happened, they won't cover ur car coz u did not disclosed all ur mods and means ur car is not cover.

happened to my friend with his Lancer, changed to 17" rims and not disclosed to the insurance. When he got accident, the insurance said "that accident coz by ur bigger rims and u not disclosed to us, and bla..bla..bla.."

and to make sure ur warranty, just service ur car at dealer garage, i'm not saying non-dealer service garage not good, they're all the same with dealer mechanics, but just for ur peace of mind.only small different. my non-dealer garage quote me $120 for normal service, i serviced to honda dealer only $170.$50 different for every 6 months, means only $8/month, only $0.27/day.

just my 2 cents

to think the civic won that 2007 award :O
i think, new c-class W204 got car of the year 2007 ???:confused::confused:

To put this into perspective, if you were looking to buy a Porsche or even a Ferrari. And you know they get damaged easily and pretty expensive to repair. Would that be enough to stir you away?

I think many people buy using their emotion rather than using their head. Because if they do then they'd all be driving Toyotas.

hahaha...u right dude.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mingy
27-01-2008, 04:25 PM

Off-Topic: whatever you do, just make sure you get a manual FD. auto is very depressing. Trust me!

Hacs
27-01-2008, 11:26 PM
thanks guys i'll definately keep those in mind :)

dmx: i guess it's true that the $7k pricetag is a worry for those insurance companies rather than something we're to scratch our heads over.

Mingy: and yeah, manual for sure :thumbsup:

clayton4115
29-01-2008, 12:33 PM
does this relate to the 7th Gen civic or 8th?

denot
29-01-2008, 12:39 PM

i think it says "FD" which is means 8th gen?

-_-"

clayton4115
29-01-2008, 12:44 PM
so FD is 8th Gen?

ryanc
29-01-2008, 01:44 PM
lol... yes....... if u read that post

clayton4115
29-01-2008, 02:29 PM
ok kool !