PDA

View Full Version : looking for EXi

Damo
23-08-2004, 03:43 PM
Hi

New member here. I'm looking for a 91-93 EXi, and was just wondering if there's anything I should look out for.

I've been told the base model in the earlier cars (1989-1990) had a carby engine, but the EXi had EFi. Is this right? Were there any engine upgrades through the life of the model? Anything I should know about these before I get one.

I'm looking for a clean car with full history etc, but don't know a lot about them, so any info on the model line up, specs, upgrades etc would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Damo

ECU-MAN
23-08-2004, 08:34 PM
yep in 1989 the accords came out with the A20A2 carby style. also with a A20A4 PGMFI. 1990 - 2004 have PGMFI.
common issues with the 90-93 exi was the distributor, auto transmission ( was the 1st Honda tri shaft auto tranny) and they had issues with the shaft nuts coming loose causing a whirring noise then AT self destruct. the VSS and O2 sensor commonly fail ,then just your normal wear and tear things. some of these Accords in this era came out with 4WS ( mechanical ) and leather. there nice cars :)

seed
26-08-2004, 05:44 PM
i recently got my accord (89 build date, first rego 90)
and i noticed that it has an odd sound when i accelerate, ive never heard it in a car before. To me it sounded like a vacuum cleaner lol, but my friends reckon that it sounds similar to a "turbo spooling"

Is this the whirring noise you are talking about?

urtwhistle
26-08-2004, 08:30 PM
that whirring is probly ur alternator charging and coming through ur stereo.
mine does it.

seed
26-08-2004, 11:21 PM
but its not coming thru my stereo
i can hear it from the outside

ECU-MAN
27-08-2004, 12:10 AM
sometimes timming belts can make a whurring sound.

cb7
27-08-2004, 10:59 AM
Hehe its a common thing i've heard for the 4th gens to make that turbo sound, it freaked me out too when i first drove it.

Damn i love accords, love em so much i've owned 2nd, 3rd and 4ths
Currently driving the 4th. You can get one for cheap but no leather, or go for the top of the range model like mine, with power everything, sunroof, steering, leather interior, electric driver seat, cruise control, 4ws. Not bad for a early 90's car i reckon.

As for the models i heard 92 - 93 some of them got air bags or abs? or maybe thats in the states but i did notice some differences only in front bumper and the back lights.....Everything else is the same.

i hope the pics work, its my first time posting pics. Well i hope that helps thats my research on the differences in the models.

http://www.geocities.com/insert5cents/backdiff.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/insert5cents/frontdiff.jpg

ECU-MAN
27-08-2004, 07:01 PM
air bags wernt introduced until 1995 for the Accord. although their was ABS released in the 4WS 90 -93 Accord

Dominik
28-08-2004, 11:16 AM
I got an airbag on my '94...

ECU-MAN
28-08-2004, 09:02 PM
oh yeah, the Vtis had dual Airbag. 95 on had them as standard. for Exi and Vti

4thGenExi
29-08-2004, 12:44 AM
YES!

As someone mentioned the distributor is a common fault on the 4th gens. Mine went and took out everything around it in the process. Ignition coils, the whole kit n kaboodle. Correct me if Im wrong but I was told its integrated into one unit.

Generally speaking these cars are a rock. Treat them with respect and they will be reliable long term companions. The F22 is capable of big kays with minimal problems - being a low stress motor. Dont know enough about the auto transmissions but mine hasnt barfed yet ~knocks wood~. It's 230k's old.

ECU-MAN
29-08-2004, 12:59 AM
YES!

As someone mentioned the distributor is a common fault on the 4th gens. Mine went and took out everything around it in the process. Ignition coils, the whole kit n kaboodle. Correct me if Im wrong but I was told its integrated into one unit.

Generally speaking these cars are a rock. Treat them with respect and they will be reliable long term companions. The F22 is capable of big kays with minimal problems - being a low stress motor. Dont know enough about the auto transmissions but mine hasnt barfed yet ~knocks wood~. It's 230k's old.

the dizzyz where that crappy that they has a recall on them , same as the autos. so most if not all dissys and trannys got sorted under warrante. some however slipped thruogh and creeped up after time. you will find the dizzy for this modle accord should be cheaper than other cars.

the coil, ignition modual can be removed and replaced, however the TDC, CYP, CMP sensors can also be removed with a bit of effort but Honda will only sell you a distributor chassis with them. then u use your coil and ignighter, rotor button and cap.

4thGenExi
29-08-2004, 01:03 AM
Heh....mine was far from it!

Inc labour I forked out close to $650 to get the car back on the road when the distributor shat itself

ECU-MAN
29-08-2004, 01:05 AM
Heh....mine was far from it!

Inc labour I forked out close to $650 to get the car back on the road when the distributor shat itself
dissy for a crx, prelude, is $800 + you got a bargin