PDA

View Full Version : Brake swap

genkimashi
24-01-2008, 10:16 PM
hey guys.... need some confirmation.... driving a crx 88 si model.... just wandering am i able 2 use my stock knuckles n other honda bits from the car n get a honda legend caliper bolt on with ITR pads (the backing plates to be ground slightly). Then use the 10,2 inch rotors (like the stock SiR and EK civics use).

Any1 did it b4 ?? any idea or comment ?

Cheers
Zi

[[d a n n y]]
24-01-2008, 10:33 PM
u need the SIR brake set up
those knuckles can be made to fit but u need adaptor plates

genkimashi
24-01-2008, 10:35 PM
Any chances of using the original knuckles 2 make it fit ?

nd55
25-01-2008, 09:45 AM
Hey,

Yes, I have heard of using ITR calipers on OEM 242mm knuckles with 262mm rotors.

You will need new rotors and ITR calipers.

Legend double piston calipers might fit, but I don't see the advantage over ITR calipers. Look better though.

Will need to shave the inside diameter of the caliper/pad to clear the rotor.

IMHO, it's preferable to get the OEM 262mm knuckle, rotor and caliper.

PM me later and I'll dig up a few threads on honda-tech.com with guides on what brake upgrades are available (at least for civics).

Fastbrakes.com sell some Honda brake upgrades. Brian Hasty is very helpful with advice. Shipping rotors is gonna be expensive, better get them locally.

Upgrading your rotors probably won't improve your braking distances.
Thermal capacity will go up, but this is only useful at the track.

Nick.

bennjamin
25-01-2008, 10:36 AM
why ITR front calipers on only 262mm rotors ? The only diff is the slight larger piston ~ no real advantage as it would slightly overhang the pad itself (?) so just stick to the EG6/EK4 /DC caliper/rotor and pads as mentioned.

nd55
25-01-2008, 01:37 PM
> why ITR front calipers on only 262mm rotors

262mm rotors will not clear OEM calipers on OEM 242mm knuckle.

Need ITR calipers for extra clearance if trying to go from 242mm rotors -> 262mm rotors on SMALL knuckles.

OEM 262mm rotors come with a larger suspension knuckle.

> so just stick to the EG6/EK4 /DC caliper/rotor

I think genkimashi wants to upgrade from 242mm rotors (88 crx) to 262mm rotors (EG/EK4/DC) rotors without swapping his whole suspension.

Nick.

PS. I agree, this upgrade isn't worth the expense.

bennjamin
25-01-2008, 02:41 PM
whoops should of quoted. I know stock is 242mm , the best best is 262mm rotors + knuckle + caliper to suit. Not to mention upgrade the brake booster to atleast a DC2/4 / eg6/ek too

genkimashi
25-01-2008, 06:32 PM
yea.... was trying to find ways 2 upgrade without sacrificing much .... seems like it theres no luck in it ... have 2 at least upgrade the knuckles 2 get better choices n clearance...