PDA

View Full Version : Request: How to change Engine oil in FD Civic

Mingy
25-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Could someone plz show me how to change the engine oil in the fd civic. i don't think you can drain oil in the engine bay. u gotta go under the car.

-thanks

Paul1985
25-01-2008, 01:54 PM
If you think you drain the oil in the engine bay then i think you should take it to the dealership for it's service.
Is it still under warranty, and have you had it serviced at each interval?

Either way,

You will need to jack up your car on stands,
There will be whats called a sump, its most likely black. There will be a bolt on there, probably 15mm (dont quote me on that). When you remove this with the appropriate tools (or you will most likely damage the thread/round the bolt), the oil will flow out. Ensure you have a tray under it. Also remove the oil cap in the engine bay to help it flow. Once empty. Tighten the bolt back up.. Do not overtighten this and make sure you tighten it now!

Now, there is an oil filter (you will need to purchase a new one with your oil), it is located somewhere on the side of your engine most likely, it will look like a can. You need to purchase whats called an "oil filter removal tool". Make sure you work out the diameter of your filter and buy one to suit. You will most likely need a small removal tool.
Remove this filter with the tool and make sure you have the tray underneath to catch the oil that will spill out.
Install the new filter and only tighten it up with your hand as tight as you can, do not tighten with the tool. Also ensure you the old O-ring isnt stuck and came off with the filter, also ensure you have a new o-ring on the filter, rub a small amount of new oil around the o-ring before placing it on the engine.

Once all this is done, lower the car. Now put about 3 - 3.5 Litres of your oil in the car. Start the car for 5 secs. Turn the car off. Your filter will now be primed. Now pull out your dipstick, wipe it, put it back in, check the level. Hopefully it will be low on the reading, if its not reading at all, add another litre and re-check.
Keep topping up until you get the the full mark. Also, the line from the low mark to the full mark should indicate 1 litre. Once you have the level right, fill in the service sticker on the side of the bottle, place it on your windscreen at the top right of the drivers side (inside of the window). Make sure you have wiped up and cleaned and mess, ensure oil cap is on. Start up and make sure theres no oil leaking. Make sure you have a few rags handy before you start too.

Mingy
25-01-2008, 02:37 PM
its just hit 20,000Ks, i get it serviced every 10,000Ks. i want to change the engine oil every 5,000Ks so the car runs better. hey Paul1985, thanks for the steps. i'm gettin it serviced next week. when my car hits 25,000Ks, i'll change the engine oil and use your steps. cheers :thumbsup:

Limbo
25-01-2008, 03:39 PM
make sure you use geniune Honda oil and filter when you do otherwise you might void your warranty.
If you really still unsure then take it to a qualified mechanic and watch them do it.

Its the same for all cars

Paul1985
25-01-2008, 04:01 PM
make sure you use geniune Honda oil and filter when you do otherwise you might void your warranty.
If you really still unsure then take it to a qualified mechanic and watch them do it.

Its the same for all cars

Most mechanics will hate that and most likely tell you your not allowed in the workshop.

I personally would just get it serviced as scheduled, but that's me.

Surely you know someone who has done an oil change before who could give you a helping hand.

You will wanna get these items for a service:
- hydraulic jack (could use the boot jack but not recommended, very time consuming too)
- pair of jack stands
- oil filter removal tool
- spanners/socket set. Only need one spanner for doing an oil change.
- rags
- oil
- oil filter

Pretty sure someone wrote up a DIY once for this in the DIY section. Have a browse in there, you may find it and it will have pics.

1996ek1
25-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Sump bolt is 17mm i thought,
or atleast D/B series both use a 17mm.

Limbo
26-01-2008, 12:06 AM
that's why you gotta make friendly with the mechanics, then they let you roam the place ;)

but seriously do a google if its that hard cos oil changes are all the same there is nothing hard about them.

Jack up car,(put them on stand if you got them for safety reasons. Remove bottom bolt, let oil drain into a pan (or something to hold about 4-5 litres of oil), remove oil filter, replace oil filter and return sump bolt pour oil.

Its that simple.

Here's a few tips.
1) go buy an oil change kit at supercheap, they have all the bits like oil pan, funnel & filter remover + instructions
2) Only use geniune honda oil filter and oil (Honda dealer will sell this)
3) use a socket on the sump and not a open ended spanner
4) rem to lube the rubber ring on the oil filter before putting the new filter on
5) rem to put newpaper over the ground so you don't make a mess

Mingy
26-01-2008, 01:28 PM
cheers folks. i'll give it a shot :D