PDA

View Full Version : changing oil filter

Bad Inferno
27-01-2008, 08:09 AM
My first oil change on the euro yesterday. jacked the drivers side up and drained the oil.....One question, How can I take the oil filter off without dripping oil...it ran on the top side of the "under tray" and dripped out the cover plate and sides....a bit of a mess. I took it out through the side of the front strut.

cheers

rob

andiiso
27-01-2008, 08:26 AM
the stone tray under neath, dont undo the single 10mm and take the little square opening off,

undo the 2 10mms on each side holdin the whole stone tray up and bend the stone tray bakwards and use some rope or some sort (i use jockey straps they call it ? lolz) to hold it towards the front bumper so that the whole stone tray is outta the way, enuff so that it clears the oil drips, and then after uve done that grab a piece of metal like rectangle or mayb get some plastic of some sort (doesnt matter wat as long as it stays and covers all of where the oil drips onto) and stick it between the driveshaft and the chassis K frame bit, the K frame has some holes in it and if u didnt cover that oil will go into it but not bak out lolz. It will drip onto the driveshaft but doesnt matter, you can just clean that off.

one more is that between the k frame and the driveshaft directly under the oil filter there should b some sorta clip or hose or something that u can bend down a little bit to put ur plastic or wateva in and then when u let go itll come bak up and hold wateva u put there still.

EuroAccord13
28-01-2008, 12:10 AM
I wrap a piece of old cloth on the drive shaft and around the block to reduce the oil streaking all over when I remove the oil filter.. Saves time taking the underbody cover out....

andiiso
28-01-2008, 01:34 AM
I wrap a piece of old cloth on the drive shaft and around the block to reduce the oil streaking all over when I remove the oil filter.. Saves time taking the underbody cover out....

yer, that works well too, except gotta put enuff rags there just incase it does soak thru the rag into the K frame, but otherwise very good point aswell. If do this, and even on my idea its a good thing to spray it down with prep wash or something to wash the oil bits here n there that u get and wipe it all down.

Bad Inferno
29-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the tips......I'll give it another go in 4 months time.

I am planning on only taking it to Honda every 20k and do my own oil changes very regularly and blowing out the air filter. The car is only driven very short distances.

Anything else I should check or change, on the basis of it seeing Honda every 20k ?

shadou
29-01-2008, 09:13 PM
fabricate a drip tray from a piece of aluminum lying around or something place it on the subframe jamming it against the drive shaft, Andisoo should know what I'm talking about. That helps heaps much better than rags and shit, as for the stone tray undo the furthest clips and just fold it so you won't get any oil dripping on to it

andiiso
29-01-2008, 10:08 PM
yer except i wasnt very good at the explaining part haha

shadou
29-01-2008, 10:31 PM
haven't worked on a euro since I quit, good times you got pm andisoo