PDA

View Full Version : Head Unit problem

nick_sixx
27-01-2008, 08:26 PM
hey guys, ive got just a basic stereo (3 way speakers up front, 4ch amp, 12in sub) and i did a home job on the install and wiring etc, but now whenever i turn the car off, the head unit doesnt remember any settings ive put in (ie bass+/-, preset radio stations etc etc) can anyone help me?

omgitsmatt
27-01-2008, 08:31 PM
i had the same problem... might have to do with the wiring to the battery but just a guess

nick_sixx
27-01-2008, 08:46 PM
oh ok then, what did you do to help it?

OMG.JAI xD
27-01-2008, 09:13 PM
did you make sure you didnt wire up the power wire to ignition?

cause if you did, then the whole thing will turn off as if you took the battery out.

you need one constant power wire, and one ignition.
in most cases, constant power is yellow wire, and ignition is red.

both of you guys have eg's, so just like me.
power on the OEM wiring harness isnt all red.
there isnt a solid colour on the harness except the ground cable. which is black -.- obviously.

i cant rememba the power wire colour, i just trialled n error.
trial and error using ONLY the power wire.
and conenct the battery and check.
or get a wiring diagram =]

if i can rememba ignition is red/yellow stripe. i think..

but anyway.. goodluck =]

GRU53M
28-01-2008, 08:11 AM
If you cant work it out just go to 12volt.com and that will answer all your questions.

davec
28-01-2008, 12:50 PM
i suggest checking out all your fuses in the panel under the steering wheel

55EXX
28-01-2008, 01:13 PM
no it is most probable the constant power wire from the head unit is wired to the acc wire. wire a constant power to the yellow wire on the Head unit whether that be from the stock wiring harness or your own fused one. use a 15-20amp fuse if your going to run your own

omgitsmatt
28-01-2008, 02:07 PM
well it went away after i changed my batter... but then i got a new h/u like 2 weeks after that so i havent had a problem

teh_mechanic
28-01-2008, 07:11 PM
like people have been saying,you wired your head unit main power (usually yellow wire) up to accessory power,not a constant power source.the h/u uses this constant to keep things like presets and where the cd was when car turned off.the accessory wire (usally red wire) gets hooked into accessory power so that the h/u is only on when the ignition key is turned