PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Honda Civic - any different?

nuffsaid
28-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Hi all

Will the 2008 Civic be any different from the current 2007 model?

Dealer says no, but who can trust dealers. All they said was that the new 2008s are exactly the same except for the introduction of a new colour, some light goldish colour.

Thanks

wilkie
28-01-2008, 10:08 PM
there are no differences whatsoever. not sure about the new colour, but ino they are deleting that purple colour.

nuffsaid
28-01-2008, 10:17 PM
I spoke to an alarm fitter and they said the 2008 one now comes with a CAN system, whatever that is hahaha

xqwzit
28-01-2008, 10:20 PM
comes with vsa-traction control i read somewhere in this forum.

wilkie
29-01-2008, 08:00 AM
never even heard of CAN and i think the alarm fitter is tugging it a bit lol, and there is NO damn VSA on the 2008 civic, at least not on the vti and vti-L, there has been VSA on the 2007 civic sport so no change there for 2008.

PAL
29-01-2008, 09:01 AM
All pics of 07 Civic Sport I have seen have a hole next to the steering wheel where 'VSA OFF' button should be located. They DON'T have VSA...

BC8
29-01-2008, 12:04 PM
just recently bought a fd1

the dealer said the 2008 model's are exactly the same thing except the addition of the new champagne colour similar to the ones on Toyota Camry Altise/Sportivo's. I have seen it on the new civic driven out of Larke Hoskins Rosebery and it wouldn't be a colour for younger drivers. Also, the misty violet no longer in production.

PAL
29-01-2008, 12:06 PM
My salesman told me he was very surprised to see "VSA Off" button on 08 civic sport.

UNLS1
29-01-2008, 01:43 PM
yeah VSA standard on sport and hybrid (lol)

ruby red gone

satellite mist in!

markCivicVti
29-01-2008, 02:54 PM
I liked the look of the misty violet... not my kinda color... but would have suited my wife quite nicely.

Lol @ VSA on hybrid.

JaCe
29-01-2008, 11:28 PM
Don't forget that VSA is standard on the Asian spec models, and what you see in pictures may not be reflective of the AUDM Civic!

gerard
30-01-2008, 10:12 AM
remote trunk?

xqwzit
30-01-2008, 10:18 AM
^no remote trunk

VT3C
30-01-2008, 12:06 PM
VSA is on the 08 delivered SPORT and HYBRID Civics only.

the 'new-to-civic' Champagne-gold colour is called Sattelite Mist and yeah Misty Violet (and Royal Ruby Red) has been discontinued.

JaCe
30-01-2008, 06:20 PM
remote trunk?

That would be enough to make me jealous if it happened!

conroe
30-01-2008, 08:19 PM
VSA is on the 08 delivered SPORT and HYBRID Civics only.

the 'new-to-civic' Champagne-gold colour is called Sattelite Mist and yeah Misty Violet (and Royal Ruby Red) has been discontinued.

I have gone to the Honda website, it is interesting Honda doesn't list something as important as this as a feature!

Off topic, has anyone had Bass Works sound system fitted to their vehicle yet, how much do they cost and is it worth it?
http://www.honda.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/internet/honda.com.au/home/showroom/civic/accessories/i+-+bass+works+sound+system

wilkie
30-01-2008, 09:12 PM
i have an 08 civic and i have no remote trunk...

FallenAngel
30-01-2008, 10:05 PM
i was planning to get the bass works but i figured that i didn't really need it. Although i'm curious on how good it sounds even tho the stock system is quite good.

markCivicVti
30-01-2008, 10:25 PM
I got the bassworks. It's quite good - but if you're going to get it get the dealer to throw it in as part of the deal. Thats what I did.

If your last car had a couple of amps and twin woofers then you'll be prolly a bit dissapointed tho. It's good for what it is tho.

UNLS1
31-01-2008, 03:08 PM
i have an 08 civic and i have no remote trunk...

thats because it doesnt exist.

everything has already been answered in this thread people!

gerard
31-01-2008, 03:55 PM
Read and weep

http://www.civicfd-sg.com/viewtopic.php?t=4455&highlight=2008+civic

Shimian
31-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Read and weep

overseas models are always better than ours. The function im most jealous is they have auto folding mirrors. Our model, we have to do it by hand. :thumbdwn:

JaCe
31-01-2008, 10:28 PM
overseas models are always better than ours. The function im most jealous is they have auto folding mirrors. Our model, we have to do it by hand. :thumbdwn:

In all fairness though, our sticker price is relatively low compared to alot of other countries (e.g. Singapore and Malaysia) where road taxes and import tariffs push the car up in price considerably and dealers/manufacturers are forced to throw in freebies/extras as standard kit to make their car more competitive and justify the price tag... even if most of the price ends up in the government's pocket.

Shimian
31-01-2008, 10:47 PM
I had to pay $3k for on road etc. In my books, thats heaps. Wheres my auto folding mirror? :D

SeverAMV
31-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Lol @ VSA on hybrid.

they need TCS on hybrids more than VSA. petrol electric hybrids can easily make over 500nm of torque at the flywheel (the toyota prius is an example of that), so it has some benefits, mainly because electric motors are far more responsive.

JaCe
31-01-2008, 11:10 PM
I had to pay $3k for on road etc. In my books, thats heaps. Wheres my auto folding mirror? :D

Malaysia:
http://www.honda.com.my/models/civic_price_list_18s.cfm
For 1.8L... RM113,800
Using xe.com as at 12:08am 1/2/08;

113,800.00 MYR = 39,456.47 AUD

Singapore:
http://www.honda.com.sg/price_sheet.asp
For 1.6L VTi manual (uber base model)... SGD 73,000.
Using xe.com...

73,000.00 SGD = 57,794.43 AUD

And in both these countries, average wages are considerably lower than here.

match
01-02-2008, 01:03 AM
Malaysia:
http://www.honda.com.my/models/civic_price_list_18s.cfm
For 1.8L... RM113,800
Using xe.com as at 12:08am 1/2/08;

Singapore:
http://www.honda.com.sg/price_sheet.asp
For 1.6L VTi manual (uber base model)... SGD 73,000.
Using xe.com...

And in both these countries, average wages are considerably lower than here.

Singapore wages are not that far from here......but their vehicle prices are indeed crazy

gerard
01-02-2008, 08:33 AM
The vehicle taxes are quite high for singapore cars. So most are imported in basic trim then retrofited upspec in-country. Accesories are not taxed.

UNLS1
01-02-2008, 01:17 PM
Read and weep

this thread is about the aus civics, as i said it doesnt exist
:rolleyes:

gerard
01-02-2008, 07:36 PM
ya OK. Shows how mean Mr H (Aus) is

wilkie
01-02-2008, 09:26 PM
one thing that maaaaay be different, is the cruise control operation. on my 2007 accord Vti-L, when i have cruise turned on and i go down a hill (and obviously the car goes faster), the cruise control doesn't automatically apply the brakes. yet in my 2008 civic (a car costing a good $10k less) when i do the same thing, the car will auto brake to keep my speed. does the 07 civic do the same as the 08 one?...and how come the accord doesn't if the 07 civic does in fact do it??

JaCe
01-02-2008, 09:52 PM
one thing that maaaaay be different, is the cruise control operation. on my 2007 accord Vti-L, when i have cruise turned on and i go down a hill (and obviously the car goes faster), the cruise control doesn't automatically apply the brakes. yet in my 2008 civic (a car costing a good $10k less) when i do the same thing, the car will auto brake to keep my speed. does the 07 civic do the same as the 08 one?...and how come the accord doesn't if the 07 civic does in fact do it??

You sure it's not just in your mind because AFAIK, Honda does not equip Civics (anywhere) with Cruise Control w/ Brake. Could it be you were at a different speed?

Singapore wages are not that far from here......but their vehicle prices are indeed crazy

Depends on profession or career path, but in general, Aussie salaries/wages are typically higher before you even factor in currency conversion. I know the exact same job I have in the exact same firm pays considerably less in Singapore and Malaysia than it does here... but on a relevant note, we do have much higher income taxes than those countries.

wilkie
01-02-2008, 10:19 PM
You sure it's not just in your mind because AFAIK, Honda does not equip Civics (anywhere) with Cruise Control w/ Brake. Could it be you were at a different speed?

definately not my mind. whats does mess me up a bit is the fact that nobody at the honda dealership in sales knows about it, yet when 2 different service techies drove my car cos i asked them if it was my car playing up or an actual feature, they both found it did brake itself too. someone else tell me if their 08 civic DOESNT do it cos then i will be worried :S

s2o0o
02-02-2008, 04:33 PM
Hi all

Will the 2008 Civic be any different from the current 2007 model?

Dealer says no, but who can trust dealers. All they said was that the new 2008s are exactly the same except for the introduction of a new colour, some light goldish colour.

Thanks

Hi.

Everything is the same; except hello Satelitte Mist and goodbye Misty Violet.

xqwzit
02-02-2008, 06:09 PM
except the Sport, comes with VSA in 08 model.

NeoNode
02-02-2008, 11:22 PM
definately not my mind. whats does mess me up a bit is the fact that nobody at the honda dealership in sales knows about it, yet when 2 different service techies drove my car cos i asked them if it was my car playing up or an actual feature, they both found it did brake itself too. someone else tell me if their 08 civic DOESNT do it cos then i will be worried :S
Are you mistaking engine braking for foot operated brakes?

wilkie
03-02-2008, 10:47 AM
Are you mistaking engine braking for foot operated brakes?

what's engine braking?...all i know is that when i have cruise control on and the car is going over the speed, the car is braking...

wikipedia says: Engine braking is always active in all non-hybrid vehicles with an internal combustion engine, regardless of transmission type. Engine braking passively reduces wear on brakes and helps a driver maintain control of the vehicle. It is always active when the foot is lifted off the accelerator, the transmission is not in neutral, the clutch is engaged and a freewheel is not engaged. This is often called engine drag....Active use of engine braking (shifting into a lower gear) is only advantageous when it is necessary to control speed while driving down very steep and long slopes. It should be applied before regular disk or drum brakes have been used, leaving the brakes available to make emergency stops. The desired speed is maintained by using engine braking to counteract the acceleration due to gravity.

...but i dont shift into a lower gear and dont know why the car itself would if it is accelerating......is something wrong with my car? :S cos the accord doesn't do it down the same hill

jckidz
03-02-2008, 10:51 AM
what's engine braking?...all i know is that when i have cruise control on and the car is going over the speed, the car is braking...

I have a 07 VTI and it slows down when its going over the speed.. even if i press the decelerating button, I can feel the braking.. I'm pretty sure its the engine braking..

wilkie
03-02-2008, 10:56 AM
I have a 07 VTI and it slows down when its going over the speed.. even if i press the decelerating button, I can feel the braking.. I'm pretty sure its the engine braking..

yeh when i press the decel button it does decelerate, but then why doesnt my 07 accord do the same?

darkshines
03-02-2008, 11:50 AM
it's when you or your engine shifts a lower a gear i think

wilkie
03-02-2008, 04:09 PM
im still lost. why would a vehicle shift down a gear when it is accelerating? and why would a more expensive car not do the same thing if it is the engine and not a feature?

FallenAngel
03-02-2008, 08:17 PM

Well think about this. When u lift your foot OFF the accelerator, do you feel that the car is slowing down? Its exactly the same thing with the cruise control. It basically releases the accelerator until it reaches its set cruise speed.

NeoNode
03-02-2008, 09:18 PM
im still lost. why would a vehicle shift down a gear when it is accelerating? and why would a more expensive car not do the same thing if it is the engine and not a feature?
The vehicle is accelerating down the hill due to the cars weight and gravity.

Cruise control is there to maintain a certain speed, once that speed is exceeded it downshifts to increase engine braking to maintain the speed the user has set.

This feature is not new, many cars with cruise control will automatically downshift to a lower gear to maintain speed. (Applies to automatic transmissions)

Perhaps only Honda knows as to why your Accord doesn't do the same thing, maybe you should bring it next time you're at the dealer if you haven't already.

wilkie
03-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Well think about this. When u lift your foot OFF the accelerator, do you feel that the car is slowing down? Its exactly the same thing with the cruise control. It basically releases the accelerator until it reaches its set cruise speed.

ok idno who that reply was for, but my thing is where i am not accelerating by pushing the pedal, i am going down a hill...but the car is braking...so there is no pedal to lift my foot OFF...

The vehicle is accelerating down the hill due to the cars weight and gravity.

Cruise control is there to maintain a certain speed, once that speed is exceeded it downshifts to increase engine braking to maintain the speed the user has set.

This feature is not new, many cars with cruise control will automatically downshift to a lower gear to maintain speed. (Applies to automatic transmissions)

Perhaps only Honda knows as to why your Accord doesn't do the same thing, maybe you should bring it next time you're at the dealer if you haven't already.

ok this answer makes sense to me now, thanks neonode. i can see why it would shift lower to use engine braking to slow down, not too fussed bout the accord, just was the only vehicle to compare with down the same hill :)

Jake02
07-02-2008, 07:37 PM
on the MY07 or MY08 they introduced an iPod socket, wheel upgrades and a boot liner covering. Re-shuffle of colours. Not sure if that was MY08 or 7. I'm guessing MY07!

ryanc
07-02-2008, 07:40 PM
ipod socket? i thought its just aux input

JaCe
07-02-2008, 07:47 PM
It is... but Honda likes to call it an iPod compatible* adaptor.

Note that the word "compatible" is silent.

ganj3
19-06-2009, 08:42 PM

Sorry to bring this thread back but was just wondering the folding mirrors refers to folding the side mirrors correct? If so where is the button to do this? Does the FD1 have it?

ryanc
19-06-2009, 09:06 PM
mmm well on a car where are the mirrors? side and ur rear view mirror lol.. so yes of course its the side mirror

if u read what he said, we have to do it by hand and its not automatic .....

reading helps

edmbranch
25-06-2009, 02:56 PM
audm civics don't have it unless you've got a couple hundred dollars in your jar, perhaps you could order some in from overseas and mod it! :D that'd be a cool mod too..

Sherweeeny
25-06-2009, 03:44 PM
audm civics don't have it unless you've got a couple hundred dollars in your jar, perhaps you could order some in from overseas and mod it! :D that'd be a cool mod too..

why exactly? what are the benefits in australia to have folding mirrors? any time im in a tight street, i just get out and fold my mirror in. no sweat, why would anyone want to spend money on something for that which would be succeptible to vandalism and motor failures etc?