PDA

View Full Version : turbo Manifold???????

Integra90LS
30-01-2008, 08:15 AM
hi i found a site that is based in nsw it has a turbo manifold and im not sure about it. the site is! http://www.tweakit.net/shop/product_info.php?cPath=57_36_91&products_id=6614 i live in perth just wondering is there any 1 out there that can help me i want to put a turbo in my 1990 integra b18c and i want good quolity stuf that wont blow up on me

Limbo
30-01-2008, 08:19 AM
bit expensive but looks fine, find out what brand it is & if you can keep your a/c & P/S. What engine do you have?

1996ek1
30-01-2008, 11:29 AM
He has a B18c

Limbo
30-01-2008, 12:08 PM
well the manifold looks fine, just depending on what type of setup you want.
i.e drag car, track car or daily driver.

The you start building depending on your like.

EGB18CT
31-01-2008, 07:50 AM
that manifold is rather expensive, you can get a stainless log type manifold from the states for around $400 landed. Cast ones prolly for 300ish.

That manifold will be ok for up around 160kw, if your looking at making a monster, go with a quality piece like a full race ramhorn, peakboost, neukin etc (there over $1000 tho)

Integra90LS
31-01-2008, 08:41 PM
yea i want a alrounder and a car that will break loose i want to see the face on the commodore driver as i fly past him hahahaha o and i will be using it as a daily driver

Integra90LS
31-01-2008, 08:44 PM
i found another turbo kit from full race http://www.full-race.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1685&osCsid=6573932a1a68ccd46ee5d92788c59aed was thinking that do i need to do anything else to the motor so i will know my motor wont blow up

Limbo
01-02-2008, 09:38 AM
ok based on my build, keep under 10PSI and you'll be fine with a stock motor.

being a 1.8ltr i'd say somelike a GT28RS or a GT2876.
Got a friend who has the GT28R on his 1.8 and its little small.

Should be able to make around 160kw atw with that turbo and that's enough to daily drive and smoke v8s

EGB18CT
01-02-2008, 01:08 PM
that turbo is too big, opt for a disco potato/gr28rs/gt2871 or gt2876 this will easily get 160kw and then some later on.

You will need injectors around 550cc's
and ecu like hondata s200/300.
possible clutch and flywheel upgrade and 2.5 to 3:" exhaust

if your keeping it simple get a log type ss manifold if your not getting forged internals rods etc .
spare 5-6g to do a nice conversion.

Integra90LS
01-02-2008, 07:35 PM
well i dont mind geting that stuff i was going to mod as much as i can i was thinking about geting the ecu injectors flywheels and the heavy duty cluch install at the same time and i say the 3" sounds good to me hahaha

Integra90LS
01-02-2008, 07:46 PM
i just need to find this stuff can you help me where can i get them

Limbo
01-02-2008, 08:07 PM
dunno any place in perth sorry mate

Integra90LS
02-02-2008, 08:14 AM
i dont mind if it is in perth or not i dont mind paying shipping fees

Limo
02-02-2008, 04:57 PM
i found another turbo kit from full race http://www.full-race.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1685&osCsid=6573932a1a68ccd46ee5d92788c59aed was thinking that do i need to do anything else to the motor so i will know my motor wont blow up

yeh the kit isnt too bad. i was going to go this one myself, but found out it would be cheaper to just purchase the manifold and wastegate from them and source everything else locally. also if you only want to run low boost, just use a turbo with a internal wastegate, no need to always go external.

Integra90LS
04-02-2008, 08:23 AM
yeh the kit isnt too bad. i was going to go this one myself, but found out it would be cheaper to just purchase the manifold and wastegate from them and source everything else locally. also if you only want to run low boost, just use a turbo with a internal wastegate, no need to always go external.

i am kinda new to the turbo area im not shore about much do i need a wastgate? what is a wastgate? and what do you mean about internal and external

Limo
04-02-2008, 10:19 PM
how much boost do you want to be running once everything is complete?if you plan to run massive boost eg. 20psi + you should go for a external wastegate. your wastegate will open up to regulate how much pressure is allowed through the turbo etc. the stiffer your spring, the more pressure is needed to open it up etc.

all of the full-race manifolds will have a pipe that comes out to the side/s this is where the external wastegate is connected. where any stock turbos will have a little round wastegate attached to the front half of the turbo. ive seen ppl use the full race manifold and run a turbo with the external wastegate port blocked off, but majority of ppl (including myself) use the external port as they are chasing big power with big boost.

here is a example of a turbo with a internal wastegate
http://gariksgarage.com/images/Mods/Turbo/DSC00445.jpg

heres one with out and will require a external gate
http://www.badinfluence.com.au/pics/050access.gif

how this helps you out abit. just look up what parts other ppl are using and research the product to give you a better understanding of what everything does and help you choose a turbo setup more suited to you needs.

crazyEG
05-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Afi Ftw

STR8E180
09-02-2008, 08:33 AM
how much u looking at spending on a manifold because a steam pipe manifold is a much beter option
it may not look at flashing as a stainless manifold but its alot stronger it also works alot beter by keeping the heat trap in the manifold
the more heat u are able to keep inside the manifold the more power u will make

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/str8e180/Picture034.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/str8e180/Picture035.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/str8e180/Picture033.jpg

Integra90LS
09-02-2008, 06:56 PM
well i dont know how much to spend at this piont of time as im still wating on the new motor (b18c) im geting the motor just under 3000 and to install it i have no idea about 2000 3000

Limbo
10-02-2008, 02:36 AM
mate that's a nice setup very original, i haven't seen one done in that way before. Nice welding there

STR8E180
10-02-2008, 03:36 AM
^ thats mate

alot of people will look at a manifold and just because its bling bling doesnt mean its beter
stainless steel no where near can handel as much heat as steam pipe ive seen the top brand manifolds such as HKS and TRUST manifolds crack due to heat
if u have the budget to go steam pipe manifold i highly recommend it over a stainless manifold

sml-089
10-02-2008, 10:36 AM
i am kinda new to the turbo area im not shore about much do i need a wastgate? what is a wastgate? and what do you mean about internal and external

You should read this article first before buying any parts. very helpful and g2 specific. goodluck with the turbo
http://www.beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html

FastFwd
13-02-2008, 12:30 PM
how much u looking at spending on a manifold because a steam pipe manifold is a much beter option
it may not look at flashing as a stainless manifold but its alot stronger it also works alot beter by keeping the heat trap in the manifold
the more heat u are able to keep inside the manifold the more power u will make

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/str8e180/Picture034.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/str8e180/Picture035.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/str8e180/Picture033.jpg

Hey bro i got the same Manfiold...got it custom made but it looks exactly the same as that. My setup looks very similar to yours. After running 3 types of Stainless mainfolds and all of them falling appart over the last 2 yrs ive ended up spending a little extra and getting one of these and i havent had one hickup yet. Also Good to see someone else not in it for the BLING.

FastFwd
13-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Integra90LS - Deffiantly listen to the guys on here, i can also say that i wish i was at your point with the info i know now. When i started i did a heap of research i just bought every part on the planet and thought it would be cool to chuck it all together. After blowing the motor, going through 3 manfiolds, 2 wastegates, 3 turbo's, two intercoolers, different intercooler piping setups, 2 ECU's I just wish i listened to someone in the first place and did it properly. In the end ive got what i wanted. But it cost me around $5000 extra, and a shitload of problems.

Do it the right way to begin with, Buy quality parts, Dont get a big turbo get something nice and even for your motor size. and most important of all is get a really good tune.

STR8E180
19-02-2008, 07:48 AM
the fact is when it comes to exhaust manifolds stainless manifolds just dont cut it
they crack under heat
im selling steam pipe manifolds will full life time warranty
i would like to see a stainless manifold being sold with life time warranty

DLO01
19-02-2008, 12:35 PM
What is it with you and stainless? You have obviously had a bad experience(s)? I'm not being nasty at all, but there are heaps of quality stainless manifolds out there that people do not have 1 problem with. They are 100% backed up by the manufacturers.

DLO01
19-02-2008, 12:41 PM
i would like to see a stainless manifold being sold with life time warranty

Just a couple:

Life time warranty.
If cracking occurs, send it back and its fixed free of charge!!!

http://www.lovefab.com/06/index.php?page=about

http://turbogoods.com/index.asp?PageAction=COMPANY

STR8E180
19-02-2008, 09:32 PM
What is it with you and stainless? You have obviously had a bad experience(s)? I'm not being nasty at all, but there are heaps of quality stainless manifolds out there that people do not have 1 problem with. They are 100% backed up by the manufacturers.

sure there are plenty of stainless manifolds which are good such as full-face and love fab just to name a few
but over all most of the stainless manifolds out there are junk
i even rate HKS and TRUST manifolds to be junk

ive neva had bad experience's with a stainless manifold because ive neva used them but ive had to repair a fair few of them

DLO01
19-02-2008, 10:06 PM
You have stated questions and I've answered them nicely. :p

Point is, stainless manifolds are made and used without fault and are backed up 100% by their makers. If they are not backed up, then maybe then you should start asking questions.

You get what you pay for.

defect
20-02-2008, 08:58 AM
How much is one of your steam pipe manifolds STR8E180?

STR8E180
21-02-2008, 04:06 AM
How much is one of your steam pipe manifolds STR8E180?

$950 with full life time warranty

FastFwd
21-02-2008, 02:36 PM
$950 with full life time warranty

str8e180...dont take me the wrong way im just trying to justify the $$$'s I've spent money like that for a manifold and ive got quality i just wanna know how does it become $950?

I meen i know the cost in piping and at max, the flange plates with all piping must cost like $200 to $250 Max. Say it takes you 6 hours to make at max @ $40 an hour thats $240.

So the total now comes to $490. now saying hypothetically the piping costs an extra $100 and it takes you 8 hours not 6. thats an extra 180 making the total now $670

Materials = $350
Labour ($40phr) x 8 hours = $320
Max Exadurated Total = $670

there is $280 missing there somewhere to make up the rest of the $950. Remember dont get me wrong in questioning your pricing cos i do know most of these custom jobs cost that much so im not saying you price is OVERBOARD. i just wanna know how does it become $950. Is it because of the lack of quality in manifold people can affort to charge alot for a quality job. Or is it like plummers, they have a shit job so they can just charge an arm and a leg because they can?

Limbo
21-02-2008, 08:48 PM
mate who charges $40 an hour?
Most mechanics charge more like $80 per hr

There's most of the remainder you were looking for

FastFwd
22-02-2008, 07:02 AM
Two exhaust shop that ive regularly visited in the past three years charge that...but limbo dw i thought of that also Ok i made that 8 hours quite exadurated. In Reality it would take around 4 hours soo its still going to be $320.

I just exadurated on hours and materials but its going to be alot cheaper than that.

Limbo
22-02-2008, 10:51 AM
mate $950 may be abit more but you get what you pay for.
Looking from some of the manifolds he seems to be making great manifolds.
Its all in the quality of the work. TIG welding manifold with steam piping is not that easy, its not like a mig where you just point and buzz away.

First you need to prep and cut to size all the bits.
The Spot weld it, and then TIG it.
After you TIG you still need to clean the edges.

Its labour intensive and requires alot of concentration i've seen it done and its really boring to watch

P.S i dun know this guy at all so don't think i'm just vouching for him cos i'm friends or soemthing

FastFwd
22-02-2008, 11:22 AM
dude chill out...its as if you think im questioning his pricing because im not...i know you get what you pay for. and a good quality manifold does cost this much i know cos ive bought one for my civic and one for my s15.

Im just trying to see why they cost this much...i meen if i had the experience to make something that someone else cant and its rare then i would put the price up..i meen more money for me right? i just want to know if thats why they do it.

Limbo
22-02-2008, 11:42 AM
Sorry got carried away.
Its in the welding, not everyone can weld like that, and it takes alot out of you welding up manifolds.
I know cos when my friend does it i'm not allowed to talk otherwise he ends up late at night MIG welding cos you apparently need alot of quiet

destrukshn
22-02-2008, 12:55 PM
dude chill out...its as if you think im questioning his pricing because im not...i know you get what you pay for. and a good quality manifold does cost this much i know cos ive bought one for my civic and one for my s15.

Im just trying to see why they cost this much...i meen if i had the experience to make something that someone else cant and its rare then i would put the price up..i meen more money for me right? i just want to know if thats why they do it.
yeah but sometimes, it may need to get it trial fitted, like, get the turbo, take off the exhaust, design one, make sure it clears, and meets the customers requirements
i too do agree on the price is steep.
but it may take more than 4 hours to make a good manifold.

gReY-oNe
22-02-2008, 02:57 PM
^^ gee thanks for putting me down

yeah but sometimes, it may need to get it trial fitted, like, get the turbo, take off the exhaust, design one, make sure it clears, and meets the customers requirements
i too do agree on the price is steep.
but it may take more than 4 hours to make a good manifold.

yeah

the complete setup that str8e180 posted actually toke approx 2 weeks to complete considering everythign started from scratch. i was over pretty much everyday during the process to take pictures
i can say they spent alot of time with it
i wont quote my price on here but labour wise most fabricators charge the same rate

there are heaps of great manifold out there to cater for u
just do the research
just depends on wat ur looking for

EGB18CT
22-02-2008, 08:02 PM
just import a manifold form the states, if your spending around a $1000 you are very close to getting a nice flowing ramhorn in stainless from guys like rld fab, neukin, afi, peakboost, there all around 800-950US plus shipping of around 100-150 (thats here within a week) and these are quality manifolds not junk.

destrukshn
24-02-2008, 12:57 AM
just import a manifold form the states, if your spending around a $1000 you are very close to getting a nice flowing ramhorn in stainless from guys like rld fab, neukin, afi, peakboost, there all around 800-950US plus shipping of around 100-150 (thats here within a week) and these are quality manifolds not junk.
also depensds, most of those i think don't clear a/c, p/s, and if he wants it, he may need to get a custom one made up.
i for one, can not live with out my creature comforts.
lol.

grumpy rooster
24-02-2008, 07:51 AM
You guys who think a manifold takes only 4 hours to complete are kidding yourselves.

FastFwd
25-02-2008, 12:59 AM
You guys who think a manifold takes only 4 hours to complete are kidding yourselves.

Dude i wouldnt have a clue how long it takes...i do know it would take a bloody long time and effort to make one....and really if i could make something like that i would be charging close to 1000 also.

I dont need a manifold btw guys if your referring to me...ive got a custom steam pipe like sta8e180 makes...and i paid a decent amount for it and would pay it again if i needed to.

I was just trying understand the $$$'s on making these things.. and "2 weeks or more" sheeeet if it takes that long, charge $1500 lol...i would.

Limo
25-02-2008, 01:21 PM
I was just trying understand the $$$'s on making these things.. and "2 weeks or more" sheeeet if it takes that long, charge $1500 lol...i would.

my full race manifold took 6 weeks to make up and about 3 days to send over.

gReY-oNe
25-02-2008, 01:39 PM

are u laughing at the fact i said a tad over two weeks?
i considered that to be pretty quick
i didnt say it was just the manifold i said it was the setup as a whole

FastFwd
25-02-2008, 04:18 PM
are u laughing at the fact i said a tad over two weeks?
i considered that to be pretty quick
i didnt say it was just the manifold i said it was the setup as a whole

I wasnt really laughing, sorta more shocked that it would take 2 weeks to make a manifold. cos i mean if it did i would be charging more that $950.

Limo seems to think 6 weeks...now im thinking that $950 is cheap.

also when you say "whole setup" do you mean just (intercooler piping + manifold + air filter intake pipe + exhaust front/dump to connect to original or aftermarket exhaust + wastegate dump for external gates) cos those are the only pipes you really need to weld up custom on a turbo kit...

Or do you mean installing a complete turbo kit...where you would bring a turbo, intercooler, wastgate, air filter, oil lines and water lines to a welder (exhaust shop) and then get them to make a custom manifold, custom piping, custom exhaust or just front and dump pipe and fit it all?

Sorry you might need to be more specific

I meen when i installed my first turbo kit i had everything made and ready before i even started....then i put as much as i could on then got exhaust shops to weld up and complete the rest and that only took me 4-5 days including tune...

EGB18CT
25-02-2008, 07:52 PM
lol at those people think it takes 6 weeks to make, maybe if it was from scratch computer modeling, but welding and cutting wont, dont forget these guys usually may have a waiting list for these manifolds to be made etc...

DLO01
25-02-2008, 07:55 PM
Yeh, If they are organised, have a dummy motor, pipe sections etc, they should be able to do it in a few hours.

I waited 6 weeks for my manifold from the US as well, but this was due to waiting list.

Custom manifold different story. Could take a few days.

destrukshn
25-02-2008, 08:05 PM
the person bought all they're own parts.
all the piping, ehxaust, manifold, design, air box, was custom made.

js0n1
26-02-2008, 09:01 AM
if you're gonna have to import a kit http://www.turbokits.com/integra_turbo_kits.html is a good place to look

js0n1
26-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Also, http://www.visionr.com.au/honda.htm, they're in Perth and have a straight bolt on b18c kit for $5.5k

FastFwd
04-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Also, http://www.visionr.com.au/honda.htm, they're in Perth and have a straight bolt on b18c kit for $5.5k

Lol guys dont get this kit... Its XS Power. I know this because i bought this 3-4 yrs ago. and i got it for about 1100 delivered off ebay from the US.

Limbo
04-03-2008, 07:19 PM
that site is funny, they got some good stuff then the crappy xs power turbo + kit LOL

FastFwd
07-03-2008, 06:47 AM
that site is funny, they got some good stuff then the crappy xs power turbo + kit LOL

Yeh ns.....reputation suicide with that kit in the mix of it all...