PDA

View Full Version : Replacing exhaust resonator and maybe more...

Gards
30-01-2008, 03:22 PM
I did a search.;)

96 VTI-S, Auto

Found the source of the droning in my car. Some nice rust holes in the resonator of my exhaust. I'm guessing I could get the ressy replaced with fitment for maybe around $100-150. I wasn't going to do an exhaust on my Accord but do you think it would be worth upgrading the stock piping from cat back while the exhaust shop has the resonator removed?

However I want to keep the stock muffler as I don't really want much exhaust noise. Do you think upgrading the stock piping from the 1.75 inch stock to say 2 inch mandrell bend and leaving the stock muffler in place would see any performance gain? I could prob get this all done for around $300.

Having asked all this I know that even full exhaust systems on f22b Accords reap mild gains at best. Just wondering if it was worth doing while the exhaust shop was replacing one component. I doubt they are just going to weld up my ressy.:p

What about if I replaced the stock muffler with a quiet oval muffler as well as the larger piping, will I notice any improvement on an auto vti-s?

Thank you

Riviera
02-02-2008, 08:48 AM
i have the same car 95 model though havnt upraded the exhaust as of yet but i have a SRI installed thats noise in its own lol

i was thinking the same lines, not so noisey but an aftermarket exhaust yes. the stock ones are HUGE and heavy as sh*t, new oval twin tip style :thumbsup:

Gards
02-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Woops I should have clarified it was my centre resonator in the middle of the piping, not my rear muffler with the holes... If it was manual I would probarly just go ahead and get the cat back exhaust even if the muffler had a bit of noise...

Just got quoted $90 for supply and fitment for new resonator from Livo Exhaust.:)

Question remains though, should I upgrade my piping while I'm at it...? Prob not worth it especially if I'm keeping that stock muffler on... hopefully car will feel better without the exhaust leak.

Im just trying to get feedback of auto accord owners experiences with aftermarket exhausts, I have searched the forum and not found alot of talk about power gains or improvements that are felt.

Riviera
02-02-2008, 02:34 PM
i knew it was your resonator but its just you mentioned a new muffler so i replied basically to that lol

Gards
02-02-2008, 03:23 PM
Yea wasn't sure, no worries mate.

Spoon-Accord
02-02-2008, 10:00 PM
just change the muffler with a higher flowing one.

stock DC5R? or S2k muffler would do the job ( bigger inlet that standard CD5 muffler)

i had a S2k muffler on mine, was very quiet, and i did get responsive gains :)

j.meng87
03-02-2008, 11:48 AM
just change the muffler with a higher flowing one.

stock DC5R? or S2k muffler would do the job ( bigger inlet that standard CD5 muffler)

i had a S2k muffler on mine, was very quiet, and i did get responsive gains :)

Where did you get a S2K muffler from and how much? Thinking of getting one since you say its quiet.

Riviera
04-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Where did you get a S2K muffler from and how much? Thinking of getting one since you say its quiet.

same here lol and at wat price

FAT VTI
09-02-2008, 08:37 AM
mate,
for the cost of upgrading your exhaust on a cd5 auto it prob isnt worth it.
I'd try to focus on getting a cai, so easy to do on accords and make them sound so much better.
If you already got that then go ahead, I am very keen to hear the sound of an auto with ugraded exhaust, I have my doubts but if its good, ill be at livo exhaust after payday.

Let me know what happens.

Riviera
09-02-2008, 09:42 AM
lol k this whole saying autos dont sound good and such is getting confusing.... i hear it all the time, even though it makes no sense

how can the transmission be chaning the tone of the engine.... i believe the the only difference with having the auto would be the shift rev drop.
Yet it doesnt matter... if u wana hear that full 6krpm ring then sit it back in 1st or 2nd. 2nd takes you up to 110km/h anyways

FAT VTI
09-02-2008, 12:02 PM
yeah i know what you mean.
I am talking from a "always in D4" perspective.

Spoon-Accord
12-02-2008, 06:45 PM
just get a quiet muffler, wont be annoying at all

if u get crappy aftermarket ones, it gets dronney

if u get a stock OEM item, it usually sounds very good,
i had a Dc2R muffler on my auto accord, sounded mint and crisp
no drony broooohhhhh noise, just clean :)

s2k mufflers i didnt know, friends pift me the catback, so i chopped it up and brang it to nearest exhaust shop, sounded good without cat *meow*

j.meng87
13-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Spoon-Accord any picture of your muffler. Might give Honda a call for a price of 1 side of the muffler