PDA

View Full Version : 17 inch rims questions.

Gards
30-01-2008, 06:35 PM
I have done a search about rims but have some questions.

I have found some RS GT rims 17x7 and with 43+ offset which are off a Suzuki Swift Gti which share the accords 4x114.3 stud pattern.

However do you think that offset will be appropriate, is their anyway to change the offset if required?

Also the hub size of an accord is larger than a swift about 64 vs around 60. Do you think this could pose a problem?

As well the stud threads are different so I wouldn't be able to use the wheel nuts that he did. Would the wheel nuts off my stock alloys on my accord be usuable?

I havn't heard of any scrubbing problems with 17s on accords but do they scrub at all on full lock or over bumps (with passengers)? My accord is on stock suspension, not lowered. What drivability and ride differences should I expect? I'm guessing more responsive turning but harder ride. Will my turning circle increase?

Thanks.

sugz
30-01-2008, 11:45 PM
17x7 +43 offset is fine for CD5
no scrubing at all with 17x7, but your tires cant be any wider than 215 coz 225 on the front will scrub

j.meng87
31-01-2008, 12:45 AM
I'm guessing your gonna use 215/45/17 as your tyre size, so steering responsive will increase and at times where the road is uneven the steering wheel will pull slightly. I'm not sure the spec of the rims so i suggest test try the rim on the car for the hub and also for "disc face" as this is the design of the rim face, so that it doesnt touch with the brake caliper

SiReal
31-01-2008, 09:03 PM
re hub size, this should not be an isse as aftermarket rims come with larger, more generic hub sizes. once u test fit them on your car, and establish that the accord hub is smaller than the rim hub, u go to a tyre/wheel shop and get these things called hub rings to fill up that gap. even though its a small piece, it plays a VERY important role. Helping prevent vibration during high speeds and potential snapping of wheel studs. Costs like $20 or less for 4 rings.

edit, yes your stock wheel nuts will be fine. i'm using my stock ones atm with an aftermarket rim.

Gards
01-02-2008, 08:56 AM
re hub size, this should not be an isse as aftermarket rims come with larger, more generic hub sizes. once u test fit them on your car, and establish that the accord hub is smaller than the rim hub, u go to a tyre/wheel shop and get these things called hub rings to fill up that gap. even though its a small piece, it plays a VERY important role. Helping prevent vibration during high speeds and potential snapping of wheel studs. Costs like $20 or less for 4 rings.

edit, yes your stock wheel nuts will be fine. i'm using my stock ones atm with an aftermarket rim.

Ahk good info there, I have heard of hub spaces and was actually thinking about them so if I get the rims I'll make sure I visit a tyre shop to get some fitted. Obviously I'll also invest in some wheel lock nuts and maybe some matching shiny new nuts as well.:p

Btw the tire size is 205/40/17 so sounds like they will fit fine.

Thanks for all the input everyone so far.;)

SiReal
01-02-2008, 09:03 AM
205 seems a little thin (usually meant for smaller cars) so i'm guessing your speedo will be off a little. make sure the load rating of your tyre is at least what is recommeneded for your car. Reason why I say this is because 205/40/17 are usually used on smaller cars and the tyre shop may supply you with a wrong tyre. its defectable and very dangerous.

Gards
01-02-2008, 10:25 AM
Yea I havn't got round to doing the rolling diameter comparison yet (for speedo), and yes spose I better confirm the load rating on the tires...

j.meng87
01-02-2008, 04:34 PM
205/40/17 usually have a load rating of 84 which is about 500kg per tyre. Stock Accord load raing is 88 which is 560kg and is no safe to use a lower load rating. I would suggest chnging to 205/45/17 as it should be closer to the stock diameter and have a higher load rating