PDA

View Full Version : Importing EF8 From NZ Moving to Melborne

thecrx
31-01-2008, 06:06 AM
Hey Guys,

Im taking the plunge and moving from NZ to AUS (melborne) with my girl, I have a 1989 Honda CRX Ef8 with a b20b Vtec Turbo that i would be keen to bring allong with me but not sure on the import rules and restrictions and how abouts AUS goes with modified engines steering racks etc, As in NZ im a Low Volume Certified for all the modifications that i have carryed out.
What is the legal ride hight for cars in Melborne as i run tein adjustables and they slam it out 190mm between hub and wheel arch ie 70 odd mill off the ground at the lowest point on 15inch OZ's with 195/50/15s

I also have a personalised plate over here in nz THECRX ive had that plate for 10 years is there anyway to get personalised plates in Melborne as id like to snap up the same plate if its still avalable

Moneys not really an issue just i want to get it over there and done legitly

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated

redinteg
31-01-2008, 08:21 AM
Hey, not sure about the legal ride hight in Victoria I think its 100mm but i might be wrong.
check out http://www.vplates.com.au/index.htm
on there you can check if the custom plates your after are available.

Good luck with it all.

1996ek1
31-01-2008, 08:36 AM
I can tell you the plates arn't available...

~Sp33~
04-02-2008, 12:01 AM
100mm to the lowest point of the car.

Getting things done legally are the biggest PITA you will ever experience. Compliencing is difficult, traffic authorities are clueless, and noone wants to help.

You need modification plates for pretty much everything, and i dont know how you'll go with your engine swap because its over the % capacity increase.

To have your engine mod plated the car needs to meet the basic safety standards of the car the engine had come from. I know you need side intrusion beams fitted for compliance, but you may have to upgrade your brakes if you havent already, to the same diameter or larger then the car the originaly engines from.

Or find someone who can do it dodgily for you. Which i would assume would be much easier.

thecrx
04-02-2008, 06:27 AM
well i spose there is that ef8 cusco roll cage floating around some where over there that i could put in and my brakes are slotted EF8 ones (bigger than si) same as the da6

I have a nz mod plate that covers all my mods and passed that pritty easy hopefully there is some way i could roll that over to aus as the car is fully CERTed as a Low Volume Vechial over here

Snoop_gee
04-02-2008, 07:53 AM
Bring the gurl over man ... im quiet sure something can be arranged regarding making it all legal.

Height wise i thought it was 110mm but there is loads of people that could spare you some stock springs etc to pass the necessary height you need and want.

There is so far 2x B20's gen2 crx which exist in australia...

Klaymore's (QLD)
http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v162/160/114/596681995/n596681995_518273_4637.jpg

Hi-Power Racing (QLD)
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a127/GTRVspec95/Autosalon%20TA/Autosalon07.jpg

And apparently another one being converted over in Western Australia...

My main concern for you is how clean your conversion is?!?!
Do u have any pics of the engine bay?!?! Wat engine mounts u used.. ETC ?

thecrx
04-02-2008, 08:05 AM
Its a genuine EF8 so it original came with the b16a, So i just swaped the block over used a samwage plate for a feed for the vtec and a Catch tank for a PCV system. Used a b16a head with a small mill and stck b16a cams.

The turbo setup is a TD05h from a RA Sti Subaru on a greddy style manifold and a plumb back 38mm external wastegate into a 2.5 inch mandral exhaust, Basic but tidy @ 5psi

Looking at getting some rods soon so i can up the boost a little to about 10 as i have stayed with the stock map sensor for now

But is plenty fast enough

www.nzcrx.com has all the photos etc from the build

http://i30.tinypic.com/2h4krrl.jpg

ill take some new pics of the engine bay tonight as i have a heap of new parts since the last pics

qstoria
04-02-2008, 08:08 AM
Bring the gurl over man ... im quiet sure something can be arranged regarding making it all legal.

indeed, what snoop said !

im not sure at all about rules regarding the actual "import" of your car but in regards to getting it on the road you will have to get an engineers certificate to certify that it passes ADR (australian design rules). that will cover the engine displacement increase and all your other modifications etc (assuming they do pass ADR). if not then i the engineer will inform you of any changes that are required. once you get that compliance plate then you can register it :)

keep us informed and best of luck

~Sp33~
04-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Goodluck with it! it'll be good to have more of these on the streets.

Limo
04-02-2008, 10:41 PM
gettin the crx here isnt a prob aslong as you have all the paper work etc. getting the crx on the road will be a prob tho. firstly the legal height is 100mm, im not too sure about the engine swap, but a engineers will be able to sort it out and then you have the turbo setup. the external wastegate wont pass epa tests here as there not allowed.

easy way is to bring the car here, swap the engine out with another b16 block (very cheap) get it on the road and swap it all back in.

blk05gli
04-02-2008, 10:57 PM
for importing guidelines, click here (http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/safety/bulletin/importing.aspx)

Drew
04-02-2008, 11:00 PM
I did it last year

Expect to cost $7000+ especially since its modified don't be surprised if it goes over $10,000

For getting it engineered/VASS to sing the import approval I strongly recommend Enkeilman in Braeside/Bayswater can't remember which is which but they are on the VASS list

rayb3na_
04-02-2008, 11:01 PM
can u buy me a car then bring it over here? you guys got heaps of geniune ek9's there :wave:

Drew
04-02-2008, 11:07 PM
that would be a no...