PDA

View Full Version : How Button got out of BAR to go to Williams

LUD02C
24-08-2004, 04:24 PM
Now not all details have been released on this, but from what I have read on both BAR and Williams webpages and a lot of magazines and webpages I’ll try to explain what happened and how it happened.

All happened a few days before the german GP, Buttons management team contacted Frank Williams and told him that jenson was available for next year, but you have to act now, which he did.

Ok tricky bit.
Button’s contract was dependent on two clauses:

1/ Performance Clause (which the team had met)
2/ Commitment from Honda to provide BAR with competitive F1 engines for a long-term period.

Now apparently it seems the wording used did not offer sufficient guarantee to button and so his manager took advantage and spoke to Frank Williams.
The whole dispute is appears to be about “wording” mainly about Honda’s engine commitment.
Because Honda does have the right to withdraw from the arrangement if the F1 rules change in a certain way (remembering there might be engine changes coming soon V8 talk etc.).

But its not only the contract writing that’s the problem, there is a major problem with jenson and his “bonuses”.
Apparently when he signed in 2002 he had a modest salary (comparing to other F1 drivers) BUT to offset this there was a bonus scheme of $50,000 US a point. Button made 61 points which is around $3 million US and they say BAR hasn’t paid enough to satisfy Jenson.

Now its at the F1 Contract Recognition Board to be heard and dealt with.

If your wondering who has BAR contacted just incase jenson leaves well the list goes:
David Coulthard, Olivier Panis, Mika Hakkinen, Jacques Villeneuve, Anthony Davidson, Jarno Trulli and Vitantonio Liuzzi.

As I said, I got a lot of the information from Internet and racing magazines.
Now that’s enough typing from me today.

Jason

wynode
24-08-2004, 04:52 PM
Good write up Jason....its amazing the where little loop holes can take you!

Yspool
24-08-2004, 04:54 PM
IMO, Honda is getting better and better Button is leaving at the wrong time! He will soon see this and kick him self over it. I hate ppl who do things just for money he clearly doesnt care about BAR Honda so just let him go and get someone in that loves the product!

Just my 2cents!

M

Javed
24-08-2004, 06:18 PM
Jenson was always a loyal Williams lover though as was previously pointed out by somebody on these forums. In effect he is going back to where he really wants to be. I am disappointed but from what I hear/read Dave richards is a royal prick, so I guess that doesn't help. Bring back JV i say, Jacques is the man!

7th Gen
24-08-2004, 08:41 PM
so is it confirmed that button is going to williams?
(on any of the 'official' sites?)

bigteethygrin
24-08-2004, 08:56 PM
i dunno if it confirmed but it was definitely not the cleanest team move seen in F1.. I think he may suffer by making such powerful enemies.. If i was Flav I'd make him sit aside and give his test driver more track practice.. it would probably be more beneficial in the long run even if they suffer a few spots in pit lane next year.

LUD02C
24-08-2004, 09:13 PM
so is it confirmed that button is going to williams?
(on any of the 'official' sites?)

Your answer is in the first post.

Now its at the F1 Contract Recognition Board to be heard and dealt with.

7th Gen
24-08-2004, 09:25 PM
cheers :)

i think button should have stayed with BAR. i always read that webber wanted to be top dog at williams, so now if button comes along then there's the situation of 2 'number one' drivers

jackosimm
27-08-2004, 08:29 PM
the combination of Jensen and Webber with Frank Williams could bring some descent compatition to Ferrari. A new car for next year will further their chances of the constructors and possibly drivers crown, but with Schumacher staying itll be unlikely for anyone to take over him :thumbsup:

LUD02C
22-09-2004, 05:31 PM
Can we move this into the motorsport section please?

jackosimm
27-09-2004, 05:10 PM
Can we move this into the motorsport section please?

yes it would be much better in there, also, i cant remember if it was Martin and James or Woods and Crompton who mentioned during the China GP that BAR and Button's manager are doubtful of the chance now??? you know anything on that Jason? cheers.

[ slayer ]
27-09-2004, 07:22 PM
lol, im not Jason... however i recal them reporting during the coverage of the China GP that the lawyers are no longer completely confident that Button will be able to leave BAR now. So hope he stays with BAR cos he is going really well this season...

jackosimm
27-09-2004, 08:28 PM
lol yeh thats what I heard, about the lawyers not so confident anymore. Hard to tell which team he's better off at, I'd like to see him and Webber racing together at Williams.

kickthecancrew
29-09-2004, 01:38 PM
button just wants MOre $$$.. which is normal... Williams IS a bigger team than BAR also