PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket CAT replacement Please help.

Crapdaz
01-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Hi,

I wanted to find out what CAT you guys have replaced the stock CAT with?

how much better do you think in your opinion of flow?

Where did you source it from and price?

Many thanks guys.:wave:

EUR003act
01-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Hi,

I wanted to find out what CAT you guys have replaced the stock CAT with?

how much better do you think in your opinion of flow?

Where did you source it from and price?

Many thanks guys.:wave:

i got mine from the exhaust shop that installed my headers... makes the car alot louder! it cost me $450, not sure what brand it is, but its a metal hi flow cat... i dont know how much restriction they cut down on, but its definately doing a better job than stock one, you cant have all that extra noise unless more gases are going thru!

Crapdaz
05-02-2008, 09:50 AM
HAS ANYONE TRIED THE RT (RANDOM TECHNOLOGY) HI FLO CAT DESIGNED FOR THE TSX/CL7 direct bolt on ? People have reviewed saying it has the chance of producing the CEL light to be on, other have said the heatshield becomes loose inside and then it rattles, the rest say its worth it.

UNDECIDED!! ='(

curik
05-02-2008, 11:47 AM
No CEL at all, kitbkk has it on his euro and its direct bolt on. But it costs a bomb. Anyway, my suggestion is to purchase a 2.5" Magnaflow 300cell cat from ebay (costs A$150 shipped!), and go to your exhaust shop and cut the stock cat and replace it with the new cat (cost me $30). Overall I am very impressed with the gains over stock cat. No rattles, no CEL, only a big smile. BTW I have the same exhaust as yours, and for under $200 its just unbeatable.

TEMPTN
05-02-2008, 12:15 PM
any point of changing to a aftermarket cat with stock zorst??
any1 no

Crapdaz
05-02-2008, 12:25 PM
any1 no

No point, if your planning on changing anything it'll be headers/cat/exhaust/intake in one hit. Might as well make the full ins and outs more free flowing but as petrol prices are rising we are screwed unless we are rich!!!

How many dB are you running your exhaust Curik? BTW why are you getting rid of the exhaust?

curik
05-02-2008, 07:29 PM
No point, if your planning on changing anything it'll be headers/cat/exhaust/intake in one hit. Might as well make the full ins and outs more free flowing but as petrol prices are rising we are screwed unless we are rich!!!

How many dB are you running your exhaust Curik? BTW why are you getting rid of the exhaust?

How many dB? I dont know but its quiet and nice with a bit of bassy note. I am selling my car sometime in mid this year so I am getting rid of some of the bulky parts

Crapdaz
05-02-2008, 09:00 PM
so what car you gettin' next?

curik
06-02-2008, 01:48 AM
i want something auto with good performance and reasonable price, maybe a golf gti dsg. So coming up for sale this july will be: Project-u PurePlus brake rotors, UR pulleys, Injen SP CAI, and DC copy stainless header. I'm also thinking of giving away my magnaflow hiflow cat if there is anyone who wants to swap with his stock cat. I just cant be bothered rewelding the stock cat.

EUR003act
06-02-2008, 07:15 AM
any1 no

yes!

highest gains in the exhaust system will be from changing the headers, and then the cat.... the actual exhaust itself doesnt offer much resistance these days... you'd maybe get 1-2kw gain, in apposed the 8-12kw for headers and 2-4kw for cat....

im changing my exhaust back to stock (because with toda headers and metal cat and my custom exhaust, its really gay sounding) ill get it dynoed once i have time (next few months) and let u all know how it goes...

Pumped
06-02-2008, 07:56 AM
yes!

highest gains in the exhaust system will be from changing the headers, and then the cat.... the actual exhaust itself doesnt offer much resistance these days... you'd maybe get 1-2kw gain, in apposed the 8-12kw for headers and 2-4kw for cat....

im changing my exhaust back to stock (because with toda headers and metal cat and my custom exhaust, its really gay sounding) ill get it dynoed once i have time (next few months) and let u all know how it goes...

I agree,
Ive had my car with aftermarket headers & cat with and without an aftermarket catback.

The standard catback isnt really that restrictive.
Up top urge is the only thing slightly less noticeable, The standard catback is also incredibly quiet compared to an aftermarket one, even with cat & headers changed you cant hear a different tone from the exhaust.

All my noise at the moment comes from the intake :p

EUR003act
06-02-2008, 06:02 PM
I agree

YAY! :D lol

All my noise at the moment comes from the intake :p

yeah same here, even tho i have custom centre piping, the majority of mine comes from intake and straight thru the chassis (damn engine torgue damper! lol)

JunYu
06-02-2008, 07:40 PM
hey, i've also changed my cat to a hi flow, i got a deeper exhaust note, didnt notice anything power wise.

tony1234
06-02-2008, 08:24 PM
I've been advised to change headers 1st,cat 2nd and then remove the front resonator.as others have said the cat back is reasonably free flowing except in the higher rev range.

EUR003act
06-02-2008, 09:13 PM
I've been advised to change headers 1st,cat 2nd and then remove the front resonator.as others have said the cat back is reasonably free flowing except in the higher rev range.

yeah i removed the two middle resonators/mufflers... it was very tinny/raspy... so i got a hotdog resonator fitted (no resistance) and that worked nicely until i got headers and cat... now its worse than how it was before i fitted the hotdog :(

Suntzu
01-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Im keen on this random technology cat as well. Not sure how much moooola though and loudness factor!

Suntzu
11-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Theres a 2.5 inch Magnaflow CAT on ebay for $170 plus $20 ship.

You reckon i should give it a hit?

I wonder if it will be too loud?

Or maybe the Metal Cat but not sure what they cost?

Do i get the 2.5 inch or the 2.25 inch Cat. I have a stock exhaust but i do have a header.

Crapdaz
12-05-2008, 12:09 AM
find out what the outlet piping diameter for your headers are then see what the cat diameter inlet and outlet and try and match close as possible.

but yeh give it a hit (always can sell it off) make sure the inlet bracket and outlet bracket match otherwise need to fabricate them. Cause once i changed to my dc header + RT cat ran it in for a week my exhaust is noticeably louder.

spec for RT cat
INSTALLATION KIT-42003-15
INLET SIZE-2-1/4"
INLET TYPE-33-23050

O2 SENSOR INLET- NO
OUTLET SIZE-2"
OUTLET TYPE-33-20450
O2 SENSOR INLET-YES
LENGTH-17-3/4" <-- FOUND THE DC HEADERS RAN SHORT A LITTLE, OFF BY COUPLE MMS.

MY EXHAUST INLET IS 2-1/4" (for <5cm then 2.5" rest of the way).

Suntzu
13-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Thats awesome info. Cheers

If I get the 2.5 inch one say here http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2-5-MAGNAFLOW-HIGH-FLOW-CATALYTIC-CONVERTER-CIVIC-MX5_W0QQitemZ190171307318QQihZ009QQcategoryZ43807Q QrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp163 8Q2em118Q2el1247

Do i need my exhaust shop to weld a sensor nut or something onto it? As I recall my header had a sensor but i dont think the CAT has one?

Or maybe a 2.25 inch cat is big enough for the euro?

Crapdaz
13-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Stock cat has a sensor plugged in. you will need insertion hole for the O2 sensor.

well if you dont have a O2 sensor for your cat your going to have a loose wire hanging so you might need a hole fabricated by a workshop.

hence why i ended up getting the RT cat cause its all there, but costs a fair bit.

Suntzu
13-05-2008, 11:55 AM
Got a quote for $395 installed 2.5 inch Magnaflow.

reckon that sounds about right?

Crapdaz
13-05-2008, 12:34 PM
sounds good, my RT cat without install was almost $400 (incl shipping) which was shite!

see what other people say, if its cheap or not. Sounds cheap including labour though in my opinion.

Suntzu
13-05-2008, 01:46 PM
sounds good, my RT cat without install was almost $400 (incl shipping) which was shite!

see what other people say, if its cheap or not. Sounds cheap including labour though in my opinion.

Its booked in for 2.30pm today!

How does your car perform now with the RT cat? Much better? whats mods you got to compliment?

Crapdaz
13-05-2008, 03:02 PM
AEM Short Ram converted to CAI, DC headers with RT Cat with 5zigen pro racer exhaust single outlet.

In my opinion from having the headers and cat changed there was a significant difference in acceleration and all. initially no much sound on the first week but after wearing it in it is louder and makes the exhaust sounds deeper and nicer.

can't clarify on the RT cat itself, but before installing the euro felt restrictive, and now it has excellent redline potential.

mr747
13-05-2008, 04:09 PM
let me know how the car feels????

Suntzu
13-05-2008, 04:09 PM
Ok fitted.

Its a 300 cell magnaflow ceramic. He couldn't find a good spot for the metal cat version ( no space for the sensor so im told) but the flow rates the same.

I cant hear it all all, sounds stock. Maybe quieter actually!

Had to say on buttdyno. Feels like a little more torque, but no more power, especially under 4000rpm where the torque band feels a little fatter.

That being said I have Jtune mild and I thinking it might take a while to settle in like my header did.

mr747
13-05-2008, 04:32 PM
thanks 4 the update
let us know how it feels in a couple of weeks

Crapdaz
13-05-2008, 06:53 PM
yeh you will need to let it bake in the exhaust fumes.
let ecu adjust to flow rate.
also my RT Cat is *i think* 200 Cell

E-Gene
09-06-2008, 02:46 AM
Ok fitted.

Its a 300 cell magnaflow ceramic. He couldn't find a good spot for the metal cat version ( no space for the sensor so im told) but the flow rates the same.

I cant hear it all all, sounds stock. Maybe quieter actually!

Had to say on buttdyno. Feels like a little more torque, but no more power, especially under 4000rpm where the torque band feels a little fatter.

That being said I have Jtune mild and I thinking it might take a while to settle in like my header did.

So what did you do with your O2 sensor?

Suntzu
09-06-2008, 08:55 AM
My cat has settled in very nicely. Definite increase in the lower ranges IMO.

I didn't do the install so the 02 must be fitted fine as im not throwing any codes at all.

snYpz
24-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Just digging up this thread...:wave:

Im considering purchasing the topspeed headers on my auto cl9. There should be some minor gains there but would there be significant gains with an aftermarket cat such as rt or magnaflow?

The other important thing for me is i want the car to sound fairly close to stock and not ricey. With the headers alone, the car should sound close to stock?
What about sound levels with header and aftermarket cat?

cheers!

Suntzu
24-09-2008, 12:34 PM
Ok,
I have the topspeed header, and comptech intake and a 300 cell hi flow cat. Plus mild Jtune reflash.

I did header + intake first. It made quite a bit of difference in the mid range. Of course it doesnt have the peak power and gains of a $1500 header, but its about 70&#37; of the gains from my experience and research for about 20% of the cost. Definitely worth the money.

I think my header came alive when i did the cat after the header,it helps a bit with the torque for sure. I have a manual though.

snYpz
24-09-2008, 12:40 PM
I have comptech icebox and topspeed headers possibly.

Hows the noise level Suntzu? Much different with/without cat (with headers etc installed)?

I will see how much difference the cat makes. If not by much, i guess its not worth the money...

Crapdaz
24-09-2008, 12:42 PM
AEM sri/cai + Dcheaders + RT cat + 5zigen exhaust.

imo i did my intake first with exhaust so i still felt the car was really sluggish even in 1st gear to 5k rpm but throttle was a bit better as i had the sri.

after putting headers and cat in the noise level gets slightly louder but it is majorly dependent on your exhaust system whether your running it straight/single resonator or double.

But for the throttle it made the biggest difference even when sometimes you pull in 2nd gear while your rolling it still has the power, whereas before you find the car almost seemingly going to stall.

CAT - prob won't be worth the money but it changes the noise (slight) and restriction level of pollutants.

Hope this helps a bit.

snYpz
24-09-2008, 01:12 PM
^ thanks Daz and Suntzu!

Daz, its hard for you to tell the perfomance difference since you replaced header and cat at the same time.
I dont mind a mild sound difference if its similar to like the fuji exhaust...keeps the car nice and classy imo

SUntzu, do did u order the 2.5" or 2.25" magnaflow? Which ones the right size fit?

Crapdaz
24-09-2008, 01:20 PM
should be a 2.25" inlet.

snYpz
24-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Ok I have a few more questions after reading up on some of the tsx threads...

1. WHich do u guys recommend Magnaflow or RT? Whats the model number for Magnaflow?

2. Which is least problematic (of the two brands mentioned) in terms of fit and problems. Been reading up on CEL (check engine light) complaints. Will this exist for both cats? Solutions?

3. What else do i need to purchase besides the cats themselves?

4. Which one sounds closest to stock.

THanks guys. I am new to this so any advice would be much appreciated :D

Suntzu
24-09-2008, 02:40 PM
No id did my Cat months after header intake. So i did notice the difference.

It added no sound to the car. The headers and intake are the source of noise and mine not that loud.

I have NEVER thrown a CEL. Mines a 300cell ceramic CAT with the probe in the middle of the guts.

Not sure if mine 2.25 or 2.5 inch, either way my header output is about 2 inch so who cares!

snYpz
24-09-2008, 02:44 PM
yeah i know the header output is 2". I'll probably get the topspeed and get a new 2"x6" flex pipe.

So it doesnt matter if i order the 2.25 or 2.5 magnaflow cat? Would you happen to have the link to where u purchased yours Suntzu?

Whats the reason behind CEL anyways? ANything we can do besides i think throw in a a defouler(?)
...after reading up on cat issues, im getting more confused lol

EUR003act
24-09-2008, 06:18 PM
yeah i know the header output is 2". I'll probably get the topspeed and get a new 2"x6" flex pipe.

So it doesnt matter if i order the 2.25 or 2.5 magnaflow cat? Would you happen to have the link to where u purchased yours Suntzu?

Whats the reason behind CEL anyways? ANything we can do besides i think throw in a a defouler(?)
...after reading up on cat issues, im getting more confused lol

CEL sometimes comes on because of the increased flow over the o2 sensor...

this is my opinion, and im just working off basic physics here, but if your exhaust doesnt become louder after replacing the cat, then you prob havent gained much if any... more noise = more flow = gain...

felixd
24-09-2008, 06:22 PM
CEL sometimes comes on because of the increased flow over the o2 sensor...

this is my opinion, and im just working off basic physics here, but if your exhaust doesnt become louder after replacing the cat, then you prob havent gained much if any... more noise = more flow = gain...

thats true !!! + the exhaust fumes is more stronger :)

Crapdaz
24-09-2008, 07:44 PM
i have never had any CEL light from my hi flow so all good!

did you have problems with your test pipe felixd?

Suntzu
24-09-2008, 08:08 PM
Nah it because i have a ceramic and not a metal cat. The flow rate and cel counts the same, but you dont get the boomy noise from the ceramic. Downside is it will wear out faster than a metal one. Given I do about 15 000km year i wont wear this one out while i own the car.

now get to work on your build dammit!

snYpz
24-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Does anyone know the model numbers for either the RT or Magnaflow metal cat?
2.25" ??

EUR003act
24-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Nah it because i have a ceramic and not a metal cat. The flow rate and cel counts the same, but you dont get the boomy noise from the ceramic. Downside is it will wear out faster than a metal one. Given I do about 15 000km year i wont wear this one out while i own the car.

now get to work on your build dammit!

lol i wish my metal cat lasted! its all ready broken free from the housing and rattles at 2000-2500rpm :( sooooo annyoing! lol

im waiting for my water outlet lol will be another week or two :(

but in the mean time, im getting two more custom 3" intakes for the RBC welded up :)

Crapdaz
24-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Does anyone know the model numbers for either the RT or Magnaflow metal cat?
2.25" ??

random tech cat
PART# 141-22012

snYpz
24-09-2008, 09:05 PM
random tech cat
PART# 141-22012

Thanks alot Daz! Very much appreciated.

I think i will go for the RT since its a direct bolt on and the O2 sensors dont need to be welded?

Crapdaz
24-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Thanks alot Daz! Very much appreciated.

I think i will go for the RT since its a direct bolt on and the O2 sensors dont need to be welded?
true that, that is why i went for RT cat but it is quite expensive just for that cat.

snYpz
24-09-2008, 09:16 PM
true that, that is why i went for RT cat but it is quite expensive just for that cat.

BTW Daz, does that model number u supplied me with fit our CL9?
Yeah its gonna cost a bit to get it shipped etc. Im gonna see where i can source the cat now :S

Thanks Daz!

Crapdaz
24-09-2008, 10:04 PM
It is the same one i have fitted.
It is designed for the Acura TSX (CL7) but it still fits.

Goodluck hunting.

enkay
25-09-2008, 12:29 PM
ive got xforce hiflo metal cat and havent got any cel problems come up, had it for quite a while now hehe
i got it for like $350 installed (includuing custom fitting cos of jdm header)

BusterSonic12
03-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Hi All. Reviving from the dead here.

I see that most people are getting cats that are around 300-400cells putting onto their euros. Also sounds like this RT cat is the best of the cat to get but does anyone know how many cells this cat actually is?

Because just got the J's Racing header and planned to replaced the cat while im at it. Thinking of a custom cat done up by Hakan @ performance exhaust but just indecisive on how many cell to go with because in evo we run 100-150cells metal cats but is it different on NA? since i see you guys running around 300-400cells.

Fredoops
03-01-2011, 11:27 PM
Hi All. Reviving from the dead here.

I see that most people are getting cats that are around 300-400cells putting onto their euros. Also sounds like this RT cat is the best of the cat to get but does anyone know how many cells this cat actually is?

Because just got the J's Racing header and planned to replaced the cat while im at it. Thinking of a custom cat done up by Hakan @ performance exhaust but just indecisive on how many cell to go with because in evo we run 100-150cells metal cats but is it different on NA? since i see you guys running around 300-400cells.

We run high cell count because of two reasons:

1. This is a family sedan, not a racer, since most of us are using metal not ceramic cats, we try to maintain a reasonable degree of comfort/low noise
2. Police, 100 - 150 is probably gonna land you in all kinds of hot-water it in terms of emissions, even 200 is pushing it if you have other mods, legal or not, getting pulled over is annoying.

BusterSonic12
04-01-2011, 12:13 PM
oh alright, thanks mate. I just thought it was something do with NA with keeping some backpressure in the exhaust system lol clearly i know nothing haha thanks for clearly this up.

anyone manage to find out how many cell this RT cat is, since most people said it is like the best to get?

Crapdaz
11-01-2011, 11:58 AM
- the RT cat is 200cell.
- as fredoops said to reduce carbon emissions and noise pollution.

- it was the only cat that was straight bolt on to the euro when i was looking ffor one.
- make sure the cat flanges suit your current exhaust flanges.
- internal meshing is ceramic.

BusterSonic12
11-01-2011, 01:25 PM
- the RT cat is 200cell.
- as fredoops said to reduce carbon emissions and noise pollution.

- it was the only cat that was straight bolt on to the euro when i was looking ffor one.
- make sure the cat flanges suit your current exhaust flanges.
- internal meshing is ceramic.

thanks for the info daz. i got the j's racing header (wrapped ver.) with fujitsubo exhaust pipe on the end which is 60mm i believe. since the car's pretty quiet with the current exhaust, i probably go for a 150 or 200 cell cat pipe then.