PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a DC5r

vtecinaccord
01-02-2008, 11:36 AM
Hi there i am about to purchase a DC5r, what year model is best and what things should i look out for or are they pretty good all round with not major faults????

tectalk
01-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Hate to be rude but please use the search.... so many articles about this.

air23box
01-02-2008, 11:49 AM
What state are you in bro?

45SET
01-02-2008, 12:23 PM
DC5r start in LATE 01... and finished production in 05 (or was it 04).

Either way, there is no differance between these models.

look out for one that have a high pitch "whine/yell" coming from the engine when revs are over 5500 PRM... its a common problem with the DC5r...............

tectalk
01-02-2008, 12:31 PM

look out for one that have a high pitch "whine/yell" coming from the engine when revs are over 5500 PRM... its a common problem with the DC5r...............

BHAHAHAHA 45SET u make me laugh bro hahah isnt that called VTEC woops did u ruin the joke? :)

twofruitz
01-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Vtec can fall off :D

Dr.k20z1
01-02-2008, 02:42 PM
hahaha 45settt

BusterSonic12
01-02-2008, 02:46 PM
if your in sydney.
don't go to homebush dealer to look at their dc5r. light damage everywhere, it is just crap even tho it has low km.
like holes left in the plastic on both side of the A pillar from the previous owner installing the speakers there.

vtecinaccord
01-02-2008, 02:47 PM
I am in NSW man, and yeah sorry i did read through abotu 15 pages inthe Teg esction and found my answers the onyl real prob is teh 2nd gear, cant be that bad or Honda woudl have fixed it or done a recall.

And the igh pitched whine/yell is exactly why i want aother VTEC, they sopund better than anything else.. out there..

45SET
01-02-2008, 06:27 PM
I am in NSW man, and yeah sorry i did read through abotu 15 pages inthe Teg esction and found my answers the onyl real prob is teh 2nd gear, cant be that bad or Honda woudl have fixed it or done a recall.

And the igh pitched whine/yell is exactly why i want aother VTEC, they sopund better than anything else.. out there..

No Honda never did a recall, or fixed it... if anything, made it worse, as the DC5s dosn't have the 2nd gear crunch... but has problems changing gears in high revs in 2nd to 3rd

ZOMG... I think i found a fix for the "2nd gear crunch".

I recently got a new gear knob... a FD2r gearknob. This one is bigger... and heavyer then the OEM DC5r gearknob... so yeah... more kenetic weight or something... I'm just trying to sound smart now... but yeah... seems to have fixed it... and the FN2r gearknob looks awesome to :p

Thanks to all for actually seeing my joke... i'll be here till tuesday :p

m0nty ITR
01-02-2008, 06:37 PM
No Honda never did a recall, or fixed it... if anything, made it worse, as the DC5s dosn't have the 2nd gear crunch... but has problems changing gears in high revs in 2nd to 3rd

ZOMG... I think i found a fix for the "2nd gear crunch".

I recently got a new gear knob... a FD2r gearknob. This one is bigger... and heavyer then the OEM DC5r gearknob... so yeah... more kenetic weight or something... I'm just trying to sound smart now... but yeah... seems to have fixed it... and the FN2r gearknob looks awesome to :p

Thanks to all for actually seeing my joke... i'll be here till tuesday :p

Using a good quality transmission fluid fixes the problem too. I use MOTYLGEAR 75W90 Synthetic Gearbox Oil - 1 Litre 3170/CZ.

Never had any issues. Fitting a torque damper or stronger engine mounts is a must for track use. Gear selection under heavy braking can be tricky.

45SET
01-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Using a good quality transmission fluid fixes the problem too. I use MOTYLGEAR 75W90 Synthetic Gearbox Oil - 1 Litre 3170/CZ.

Never had any issues. Fitting a torque damper or stronger engine mounts is a must for track use. Gear selection under heavy braking can be tricky.

hhmmm... i think this is another one of those touchy subjects that some people are going to go with one things... and others with another... myself... i'll be using OEM... after having experiance with Redline shockproof light wieght super ghey gearbox oil... DON'T USE IT (specially you monty as your car is a tracker)

m0nty ITR
01-02-2008, 06:51 PM
Yeah, I've heard a few stories about Redline products. I stick with Motul for all lubricants. Never done me wrong and great operating temps with and without the cooler.

Dr.k20z1
01-02-2008, 10:57 PM
hhmmm... i think this is another one of those touchy subjects that some people are going to go with one things... and others with another... myself... i'll be using OEM... after having experiance with Redline shockproof light wieght super ghey gearbox oil... DON'T USE IT (specially you monty as your car is a tracker)

so dont use redline? i was gonna do my change soon and heard all the mericanas say that redline works? so does it still crunch? what i had done today was sprayed some wd40 in the clutch area:confused: in the engine..

and no more crunch.. and the clutch doesnt squeeek anymore suprisingly its like.. sick ass.. hahahaha

maybe try that.. i know its only temporary but imma keep doing it over and over again hahahahhaha.. till honda finds a fix :D

well back to topic! and buy the teggy alreadyy.. best loooking carrrr outtt.. love ittt

45SET
02-02-2008, 11:21 AM
DO NOT USE REDLINE! Simple as that. It'll get rid of the crunch, but it'll do worse then its doing good, i know first hand.

Simply put, its good for SOME track cars that get driven every few weeks, and get warmed up for 15 min prior to use... its not suitable for street use... no matter what anyone says.

After talking to my mechanic (who track their DC5r) use OEM or Motul (OEM for street use only, Motul if you track or drive the car hard)

tectalk
02-02-2008, 11:42 AM
DO NOT USE REDLINE! Simple as that. It'll get rid of the crunch, but it'll do worse then its doing good, i know first hand.

Simply put, its good for SOME track cars that get driven every few weeks, and get warmed up for 15 min prior to use... its not suitable for street use... no matter what anyone says.

After talking to my mechanic (who track their DC5r) use OEM or Motul (OEM for street use only, Motul if you track or drive the car hard)

I second that!!! after what i have heard bad bad bad = redline

Mingy
03-02-2008, 08:28 PM
if your in sydney.
don't go to homebush dealer to look at their dc5r. light damage everywhere, it is just crap even tho it has low km.
like holes left in the plastic on both side of the A pillar from the previous owner installing the speakers there.

Their DC5R is white aye? I went to that homebush honda dealershop yesterday. had a look at it. to be honest, it looks like shit. the cars interior is just so dirty and they claim its only done 50,000 kms. shes sells for 36g. i think its a engine rebuild.

BusterSonic12
03-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Their DC5R is white aye? I went to that homebush honda dealershop yesterday. had a look at it. to be honest, it looks like shit. the cars interior is just so dirty and they claim its only done 50,000 kms. shes sells for 36g. i think its a engine rebuild.

they went down to $33k with one year warrenty. still didn't want it.

i m picking up a white dc5r tomorrow afternoon =) just ordered my number plate today online.
[ TIU R ] in red. tiu as in my last name, and r for the dc5 ofcos

[RSX 03]
03-02-2008, 09:48 PM

I think the last dc5r was a 04?

tectalk
03-02-2008, 10:18 PM
;1526463']I think the last dc5r was a 04?

Yep thats correct is 04 :)

jas_kidd32
04-02-2008, 08:58 AM

So what's wrong with using Redline? I switched to redline about 10,000kms ago. It got rid of the crunch for about a week but it's back again but now the gearbox warms up faster than before and the crunches disappear after about 5mins of driving compared to 1hr back then.

45SET
04-02-2008, 10:22 AM
So what's wrong with using Redline? I switched to redline about 10,000kms ago. It got rid of the crunch for about a week but it's back again but now the gearbox warms up faster than before and the crunches disappear after about 5mins of driving compared to 1hr back then.

Ask yourself this simple question...

Do you want to replace your gearbox or not.

tectalk
04-02-2008, 10:25 AM

after what 45SET has gone through i wouldnt :P its a bitch

Dr.k20z1
05-02-2008, 01:19 PM

hahaha straight up.. well im gonna go for the oem mtf now.. i dont wanna replace my gearbox haha

FEL12X
06-02-2008, 05:47 PM
;1526463']I think the last dc5r was a 04?

is it? so i got the very last one, mine was built NOV 2004...

and what happen if we bring our car to track with OEM mtf ...any bad to the gearbox? better change to motul before hand?

air23box
06-02-2008, 07:10 PM
nope....I use oem oil for track and it work fine......

FEL12X
07-02-2008, 10:57 AM
should i change it after a track day?

air23box
07-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Depends....if you dun track really hard or just once....not necessery....but you can always change it.....as it does no harm to ur car

LiL FiLo
08-02-2008, 12:29 AM
aslong as it has VTECCCCCCCCCCCC!!! is great!

wtf2k6
11-03-2008, 06:47 PM
this might be a stupid question, but was the dc5r available for sale in australia or are all these cars imported from japan privately?

m0nty ITR
11-03-2008, 06:52 PM
this might be a stupid question, but was the dc5r available for sale in australia or are all these cars imported from japan privately?

They were a full local release though the Honda dealer netowrk. We did get a different car to the JDM spec though. Plenty of info around on what we missed out on.

wtf2k6
11-03-2008, 07:01 PM
They were a full local release though the Honda dealer netowrk. We did get a different car to the JDM spec though. Plenty of info around on what we missed out on.

lol can u plz link me :P

m0nty ITR
11-03-2008, 07:05 PM
lol can u plz link me :P

Lazy!!!

It's in one of the many sticky threads in this section.

CLICK (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1822)

TeMp
11-03-2008, 09:25 PM

So happened?

I have used Redline light weight shock proof (not super light as that breaks down really easily) and I have gone through 3 track days and it was still going strong.

1st track day it was wet and I was taking it easy and there was no crunching.

2nd track day was dry and I did get crunching in which I suspected it was the oil.

3rd track day I got a harness and there was completely no crunching at all. The harness basically kept me in place and allowed me to shift properly.

Morale of the lesson is that it might not be your oil and it maybe the way YOU ARE SHIFTING.

And yes the redline totally got rid of the random 2nd gear crunching.

btw good luck looking for your dc5r! lol

Also tried Royal purple and from my exp it crunches and the 2nd gear random crunching came back! grrr

Atm I am trying Motul's Gear300 and so far so good.

45SET
11-03-2008, 09:31 PM
So happened?

I have used Redline light weight shock proof (not super light as that breaks down really easily) and I have gone through 3 track days and it was still going strong.

2nd track day was dry and I did get crunching in which I suspected it was the oil.

3rd track day I got a harness and there was completely no crunching at all. The harness basically kept me in place and allowed me to shift properly.

Morale of the lesson is that it might not be your oil and it maybe the way YOU ARE SHIFTING.

Also tried Royal purple and from my exp it crunches and the 2nd gear random crunching came back! grrr

Yes well I was under the impression that it may have be "HOW I WAS SHIFTING", but i questioned my mechanic, and the person that rebuilt the box, and they said that they have have bad experiances with that particular gearbox oil.

Anthony38
12-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Yes well I was under the impression that it may have be "HOW I WAS SHIFTING", but i questioned my mechanic, and the person that rebuilt the box, and they said that they have have bad experiances with that particular gearbox oil.

Oh you have re-built your geabox. Did you replace the faulty sycrnos?

How much the re-rebuilt cost you?

TeMp
12-03-2008, 05:26 PM

haha Why are specific oils such a love or hate thing. So werid.

7ypeR
12-03-2008, 05:38 PM
So happened?

btw good luck looking for your dc5r! lol

I 2nd this. I used Redline Light Weight shock proof in my turbo teg and it was fine. 2nd gear crunch was gone and gb warm up was alot faster. Whether or not it destroys your gb I don't know but i thought it did a great job.

The funny thing is that i too am now running the same motul fluid also :). I only changed cos i wanted to try something new.

My 2pence anyway.

45SET
14-03-2008, 11:57 AM
haha Why are specific oils such a love or hate thing. So werid.

exactly the same reason why there is a love hate thing for everything... (Holden Vs Ford... Bank vs Bank etc) some people have good experiances... others have bad.

I have had a bad experiance with the product and am giving MY opinion ... i don't see why you think its funny :confused:

Nath
22-03-2008, 06:26 PM
this thread is a bit old but im curious as to WHY people say redline will ruin your box.

now i dont know much about hondas at teh moment. I drive a Sx corolla with a 4AGE engine. they also have piss weak synchros and when you try to get into 2nd gear at anyting over 5k (mine usually hit 8k every time) it is next to impossible. alot of the rolla boys said to use superlight weight shockproof redline gear oil.. i spent the 135bucks for it, and i swear by it. now my box is perfect, and drives MUCH MUCH better.

but there were also a few other people who said not to use it. but i am yet to hear a definate reason WHY it ruins your box, or WHAT it does.

all i hear is 'it farks your box' can anyone actualy ltell me what it doeS?

Cheers
Nathan

45SET
22-03-2008, 06:30 PM
this thread is a bit old but im curious as to WHY people say redline will ruin your box.

now i dont know much about hondas at teh moment. I drive a Sx corolla with a 4AGE engine. they also have piss weak synchros and when you try to get into 2nd gear at anyting over 5k (mine usually hit 8k every time) it is next to impossible. alot of the rolla boys said to use superlight weight shockproof redline gear oil.. i spent the 135bucks for it, and i swear by it. now my box is perfect, and drives MUCH MUCH better.

but there were also a few other people who said not to use it. but i am yet to hear a definate reason WHY it ruins your box, or WHAT it does.

all i hear is 'it farks your box' can anyone actualy ltell me what it doeS?

Cheers
Nathan

Whats so hard to understand about "it farks your gearbox". thats EXACTLY what it does... ****s it up... as in ruin, brake... makes it stop working. Part of the reason why you have to change it so often... all most all gearbox oils well last anywhere over 50k km... redline starts to turn to shit after 10k... if your lucky. There is particals in the oil that bond together... and then part of it isn't actually oil... so you have then bonded particals floating around in your gearbox...

Nath
22-03-2008, 06:36 PM
thank you. by saying it builds up particles that arent oil essentially grinding away at the box, ou have told me what it does to your box..

rather than just 'its ****s it' you explained why. thank you

45SET
22-03-2008, 06:38 PM
thats alright.

I have said it before... but people always seem to over look that little problem

bartek
22-03-2008, 09:16 PM
there is a differance between models of dc5r. most important 1 being, models 01-02 have a full jap main chip in the ecu meaning u can chuck a hondata in it with out changing anything else. late 02-04 honda has put taiwanese chips into ecus and to run a hondata ull have to buy the japy chip for$600-800 dollars. so u might want to consider this. and the 2nd gear aint such a big problem at all.

rossirider
24-03-2008, 05:13 PM
there is a differance between models of dc5r. most important 1 being, models 01-02 have a full jap main chip in the ecu meaning u can chuck a hondata in it with out changing anything else. late 02-04 honda has put taiwanese chips into ecus and to run a hondata ull have to buy the japy chip for$600-800 dollars. so u might want to consider this. and the 2nd gear aint such a big problem at all.

False information there. I know of 04's that run hondata

ricki_kalsi
25-03-2008, 10:15 PM
Purchasing a DC5... Pfffttt... don't bother, everyone know DC2 > DC5!

mikul_ha
26-03-2008, 12:17 PM

wrong info. for a dc5r check the serial number on the factory ecu. that determines if you can kpro your ecu. diy on hondatech how to do this.