PDA

View Full Version : Using Non-Genuine Body Parts

kanishkaz
01-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Hey Guys,

I need to replace the front bumper and the bonnet of my 00 Ek Civic. And I was looking around for parts when I found out that you can get a Non-Genuine bonnet and bumper for pretty cheap. I'm just wondering if there's a big difference between a non-genuine bonnet, bumper and the genuine stuff? Can you tell the difference between them when they are all painted and fitted?

Thanks in advance.

vinnY
01-02-2008, 03:10 PM
just a gamble with aftermarket parts
ozeparts.com.au do a lot, heard their bonnets aren't the best but other parts are generally fine
personally i've bought a front bar from them, fits almost as well as oem and you can't really tell unless you're anal about it

xntrik
01-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Um, non genuine parts usually has shit fitment

phil3842
01-02-2008, 04:48 PM
if this is any help i got some parts from deer park wreckers pretty cheap and they are in your general area

Glitta
01-02-2008, 10:20 PM
Taiwanese parts are generally pretty good for guards and front bars and stuff but I wouldn't use them for a bonet, in Sydney you can get pretty high quality aftermarket don't know what they are like in VIC though but with the bonet the metal is thinner if you come to sell your car and they press down to close the bonet you can tell the difference...

You can even get aftermarket radiator supports which are pretty good.. but genuine will always be better over the last few years the fitting has improved greatly aswell so should all line up nicely.

j.meng87
02-02-2008, 12:17 AM
I would recommend getting an OEM bonnet but bumper and other plastic stuff aftermarket is fine. Try looking at wreckers first if they have the parts your need.

<4n'D>
03-02-2008, 01:08 AM
apart from fitment issues, make sure you look carefully at the materials of the non oem parts. fibreglass cracks really easily and in the end when compared to abs plastic.

kanishkaz
04-02-2008, 03:44 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the info. I went to a body shop and they reckon they can fix the bonnet and bumper without replacing them. So hopefully that will come out alright. Thanks again guys.