PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Honda Civic - Thumping noise from under the car

renegadeice
02-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Hi guys,

Just today, my 2007 Honda Civic VTi started making a thumping noise that seems to come from under the car (maybe under the hood? =/). I can feel the vibrations (which is fairly mild) through the steering wheel and the floorboards. The most accurate way I can think of describing the sound is that it kind of sounds like a helicopter's rotors spinning (tho much much softer of course, lol).

This is only noticeable when the vehicle goes over 50 km/h. It becomes increasingly noticeable as the vehicle goes faster and goes away when the vehicle slows down below 50km/h.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? Any suggestions/advice would be great. Thanks very much in advance for all your help!

aaronng
02-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Could be a nail in your tyre, or an unbalanced tyre.

gerard
03-02-2008, 11:17 AM
could be as simple as a piece of sticky tape stuck on the threads or as bad a tyre thread or side wall delaminating off the tyre.

Best to check your tyres out but be sure its on a level piece of road

Hacs
03-02-2008, 03:22 PM
renegadeice, let us know what was causing the problem once u get it fixed.

:thumbsup:

mrwillz
03-02-2008, 03:56 PM
y, u got it too hax?

Nepolian
03-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Piece of stick stuck in your caliper? Midget under the car or hiding in the engine bay? :)

If it was a large nail, you should be able to hear it most of the time tho?

Still under warranty what ever it is. Honda will fix it :)

ib3nji
03-02-2008, 04:30 PM
i once drive a car that did that it was a cause of a "unbalanced tyre" - like the guy int he 2nd reply said :)

renegadeice
03-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Aaron, you were spot on. Upon close inspection, I found a nail has punctured the the front right tyre!

Its weird that you can only hear it after 50 km/h tho.

I doubt this will be covered under warranty, right? :(

Btw, thanks everyone for all your suggestions.

Hacs
03-02-2008, 08:46 PM
y, u got it too hax?

nah, hopefully never bro :)

but yeah, good to know it was a just a nail. As Nepolian pointed out, Honda will fix it up for ya at no charge.

aaronng
03-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Aaron, you were spot on. Upon close inspection, I found a nail has punctured the the front right tyre!

Its weird that you can only hear it after 50 km/h tho.

I doubt this will be covered under warranty, right? :(

Btw, thanks everyone for all your suggestions.
Not covered under warranty. :(
If it is punctured on the treads, you can get the tyre place to patch it up from the inside using a mushroom plug for $20-30

Frost_FD
04-02-2008, 05:03 PM
I had the same problem,

Mine was a rock wedge in the tyre