PDA

View Full Version : 1994 Honda Accord Exi

interfooler
02-02-2008, 11:24 PM
Hi all, while hunting for a used car I stumbled on a Honda Accord EXi Automatic 1994 model which has only done 70000 kms. Yes that's 70000kms! The dealer agrees to let it go for $8500. Is this a good buy?

I took it for a drive and it didn't disappoint. Everything is working fine. Drives well. Very comfortable cruiser.

I am a bit concerned about the fuel consumption of this thing though. Perhaps Accord owners could advice.

What do u guys think?

Initially_v
03-02-2008, 08:08 AM
EXi??? ... that price you'd probably find yourself a VTi bro... dont worry bout fuel efficiency because all a Accords are THRISTY...

Riviera
03-02-2008, 08:33 AM
i have a 1995 VTi-S i bet if i didnt vtec it on the highway all the time i would get at least 400km from a tank... but that was with old spark plugs

just replaced em yesterday yet to do a fuel test

the only thing that would drag me into that buy is the km's
it being an Exi and dependant on the overall condition inside and out i would
only expect 8 tops

sugz
03-02-2008, 10:23 AM
you'll last alot more than 400 bro
i got 500 at least from mine

j.meng87
03-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Maintenance history would be more important than low k's. There's no point in buying a car that has low k's that have missed a few service. Also short distance travelling will cause more wear & tear in engine.
As for fuel economy city driving is a bit high. Mine average around 12L per 100km but on highway its a different story. Recently i made a return trip to Canberra and average of 7.5L per 100km.

Dray_Templar
03-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Maintenance history would be more important than low k's. There's no point in buying a car that has low k's that have missed a few service. Also short distance travelling will cause more wear & tear in engine.
As for fuel economy city driving is a bit high. Mine average around 12L per 100km but on highway its a different story. Recently i made a return trip to Canberra and average of 7.5L per 100km.

agreed with the above, on long trips with out vtec'ing to much, you can get pretty good millage, 650-700+km to a tank.. done quite a few melb to sydney trips.

NightRyder
03-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Exi's don't have vtec but in terms of fuel economy it is pretty good, i know because my parents have one. Use to drive it a lot.

As for km's travelled, if it has a log book with regular service then you can't go wrong... :)

tuppelo
03-02-2008, 11:42 PM
I have the same car you are about to buy...I drive it every day to work and from work back home as well everywhere else doing something like 400km/week. It uses around 10 liters per 100 km (it would have been less if it wasn't auto). It would use much less if it wasn't pushed hard every morning and every afternoon...I take side street to avoid major traffic jams and therefore it revs above 3000-4000 rpm all the time... I know it uses less fuel on open road but it has never been tested accurately.

I would say yes but do not give him more than 8K. Good luck

Rattlehead
04-02-2008, 06:19 PM
I can't properly advise on fuel economy because for my previous car I had a 95 Accord VTi which I purchased for $8000, but it had 140k on it.
After a major service I was getting ~8.2L/100km for about 5 weeks before it got written off.
My ex-car seems to have better fuel economy than my dads 94 Accord which is an EXi and is manual.

j.meng87
05-02-2008, 03:36 PM
I can't properly advise on fuel economy because for my previous car I had a 95 Accord VTi which I purchased for $8000, but it had 140k on it.
After a major service I was getting ~8.2L/100km for about 5 weeks before it got written off.
My ex-car seems to have better fuel economy than my dads 94 Accord which is an EXi and is manual.

Thats beacuse VTI and VTI-S have VTEC engine. The VTEC engine in the Accord is design more for fuel economy than power. Where as EXI doesnt have VTEC.

Riviera
06-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Thats beacuse VTI and VTI-S have VTEC engine. The VTEC engine in the Accord is design more for fuel economy than power. Where as EXI doesnt have VTEC.

tis tru, i think im not quoting because im not sure who but i'll say honda, said that when just driving along the VTI's makes a 2.2L engine have the fuel econmy of a 1.8L

also yes log books and service history aswell as milage and accident history are the majors

EDIT
Yes it was honda who said that, its in the brochure for the 5th Gen Accord

heres the link its adobe acrobat
http://www.honda.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/63b2a8804600d211a6ceae823e4d2e7c/Accord_Brochure_Oct94.pdf?MOD=AJPERES